Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV on Oahu

Hello all....

I have been reading information and postings on this site for several months. I am moving to Oahu this month. I will post more about that later. I want to say hi to all.
    I was wondering is there HDTV available from a cable company on Oahu (Aeia area) without using a dish?

Buzz in boston

Re: HDTV on Oahu

I did some reporting on HDTV availability (primarily on Oahu) some months back. You can search these threads for links or go to www.starbulletin.com and search HDTV, Engle ...

The state's only cable company is Oceanic Time Warner. Its Web site is:

www.oceanic.com

I seem to recall something about Hawaiian Telcom planning to get into the video delivery business ... you could see what my tech-beat colleague Stewart Yerton has reported on that by going to the Bulletin's Web site and typing in Hawaiian Telcom, Yerton. Of course, you could also go right to the Hawaiian Telcom site at www.hawaiiantel.com.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

We've had several HDTV threads here, including this one that may have some useful information. Erika's too modest to link her piece specifically, so here it is: I Want My HDTV. Any further clarification, Erika, on whether and how any local stations are doing HDTV over-the-air (i.e. accessible without cable)?

Comment

I gotta re-read my story. I've had to make room in my brain for other stuff, since I wrote that ...

Yep, I've got a mind like a steel colander.

Comment

Okay a refresher of some key points, from the story. Thanks for posting the link, PZ.

Keep in mind, thread-readers, that the affiliation picture has not changed for also changed for ABC (KITV), CBS (KGMB), FOX (KHON) or NBC (KHNL), but it has for KFVE ... I believe MNT has announced it will b/c its new fall shows in HD.

--------- from the story ----------
          (Please keep in mind that the following citations are copyrighted material published originally by and therefore owned by the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.)

Hawaii's four network affiliate TV stations are broadcasting their HD signals over the air -- and PBS Hawaii, on KHET-TV, is to initiate digital transmission and carriage of HD programming from PBS national this month.

Oceanic Time Warner Cable offers 13 HD programming choices, but only one of them, KITV, is a local network affiliate, which carries ABC programming.

-------- and then further down in the story -------

HDTVs with built-in tuners will pick up the over-the-air signals of local stations broadcasting in the high-def format. There is a difference between an HDTV set and an HD-Ready set, which requires either an HD cable box, satellite dish-related equipment or an HD tuner.
          If one's HDTV set is hooked up to an HD cable box from Oceanic Time Warner Cable, the set cannot receive the over-the-air signals of KHON, KFVE, KGMB or KHNL, said KGMB's Morrow.
          A separate HD tuner is required to receive over-the-air HD signals, at a cost of about $200.
          An HD tuner only picks up locally transmitted HD programming. It will not pick up ESPN, HBO HD or Discovery HD Theater. Viewers must subscribe to cable or direct broadcast satellite services to receive those and other national channels.
          "I think the first thing I would decide as a consumer is, am I going to get my HDTV from the cable company, or am I going to get it from the cable company and from the air, or an I going to get it just from the air. That very much determines how much programming you're going to have available to you," he said.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser had another article
            on HDTV. This time in covered the angle that KGMB (CBS) and KHON (FOX)
            do not have HDTV carriage agreements with Oceanic Time Warner. So no HDTV
            NFL games on those channels.

In regards to HawTel's IPTV service,it is too early in the game to know if they'll be offering HDTV. They
            are having bigger issues with customer service. On top of that they are early
            in the process of securing a franchise agreement with DCCA-CATV.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
              The Honolulu Advertiser had another article
              on HDTV.
              pfffff ...

I'm not too modest to point out that the Tizer's story FOLLOWED mine by WEEEEEKS.

*nodding head and boast-singing, A La ZZ Top in "La Grange" -- ah - haw - haw - haw - HAWW!!!!"

Comment

OK...so the bottom line is that no carrier (dish or cable) on Oahu offers JDTV with the mainstreen channels like, NBC, CBS, or ABC? Is this correct? Thank all...

Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                  pfffff ...

I'm not too modest to point out that the Tizer's story FOLLOWED mine by WEEEEEKS.

*nodding head and boast-singing, A La ZZ Top in "La Grange" -- ah - haw - haw - haw - HAWW!!!!"
                  I'm shocked that Erika would be so...dismissive of her competition!

(But really..."La Grange?" That's so, um, MY era!)
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Link --

Hee hee hee!

My era too, kind sir! (That lil' old band from Texas is one of my favorite bands of all time.)

Buzz -- go to the Oceanic Web site (linked earlier) and do a search for HDTV, or, click on the television button, then go to the digital service pages with channel lineups, etc. I hope you'll find clarity there.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz
                      OK...so the bottom line is that no carrier (dish or cable) on Oahu offers JDTV with the mainstreen channels like, NBC, CBS, or ABC? Is this correct? Thank all...

Buzz
                      KHNL (NBC) and KITV (ABC) are the only HDTV channels of the big 4 available
                      here currently.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X