Eligible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligible?

I just recently applied to a couple of jobs in my field located in Hawaii. The problem is, being Canadian, I'm not even sure if I'd be eligible for the job.

Does anyone know the procedure for a Canadian to work in the US? I'm assuming it would be some sort of Visa, but all I have is a MasterCard! j/k

I hear of Canadians working in the US, and Americans working in Canada all the time, I just don't know who qualifies for what. Any ideas?
    Dreaming of the sun from Canada

Re: Eligible?

Maybe this website might be helpful.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/servic...ency/index.htm

I suspect your best bet would be to check directly with the U.S. Deparment of Homeland Security or an experienced immigration lawyer.

Good luck!

Comment

OMG! You applied for jobs to work in Hawai'i and don't know if you are allowed to cause you are a Canadian?

I sure hope none of the jobs aren't in the field of Saving Lives. Wait. Anything pertaining to using some brains.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        OMG! You applied for jobs to work in Hawai'i and don't know if you are allowed to cause you are a Canadian?

I sure hope none of the jobs aren't in the field of Saving Lives. Wait. Anything pertaining to using some brains.

Auntie Lynn
        Wow, that was rude and uncalled for. I happened to see some postings online and felt I was qualified for the positions, so I applied.

Helpful feedback would be appretiated, thoughtless rude commenting users can go to hell.

Comment

Canadian Guy... Auntie is just honest...

She is not rude... as you will soon find out...

It seems kind of ridiculous to me that you would take the time to apply for a position, however, you wouldn't first take the time to find out if you could become eligible.

you get my drift "Aye?"

Comment

It was more of a spur of the moment thing. The posting was mixed in with a bunch of other posts which I was applying for, and I thought what the heck! I know there are ways Canadians receive work in the US, I just don't know the procedures and was wondering if anyone here might know.

And it's "eh" not "aye", but that's more of an east coast thing! :P

Comment

All is well. I am Canadian ... green card in 1986.

1st = a lottery, check US Dept Justice. 20 or 40 thousands get in free every year.

2nd= A company will sponsor you for a year or two in an area of work where they cannot find enough workers. Complete time and green card cometh.

3rd and so on is= Money or a Doctor or Dentist or Teacher of merit etc...

You may work in Nebraska first for a year cause they need tree planters but you can get legal that way! It took me all told 6 years but it is well worth it and fun on the way too.

Good Luck
              'you are what you think about', all day long...you are
              blessed be

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                Maybe this website might be helpful.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/servic...ency/index.htm

I suspect your best bet would be to check directly with the U.S. Deparment of Homeland Security or an experienced immigration lawyer.

Good luck!
                Thanks guys, Adri, looks like your link is the one I need. Looks like the employer just has to sponsor me as it is a field with higher education requirements. EB-3 looks suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGuy
                  Wow, that was rude and uncalled for. I happened to see some postings online and felt I was qualified for the positions, so I applied.

Helpful feedback would be appretiated, thoughtless rude commenting users can go to hell.

Rude and uncalled for? Plezzzz......... Helloooo. You da one with no Brains to not find out about Immigration requirements first before applying for employments|! Duh!!!!

Some people's children!

Lucy go teach your fellow citizens Common Sense!!!

Rud and Uncalled for.

You danm Lucky it was't moa.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Rude and uncalled for? Plezzzz......... Helloooo. You da one with no Brains to not find out about Immigration requirements first before applying for employments|! Duh!!!!
                    sheesh... you lucky you never get the whacks! she easy on you tonight....what soft tonight auntie?

Comment

Both Aunty Lynne and Manoa for backing her rediculous lashout at an honest question are out of line.
                      Neither of you know it all even when you think you do. Totally lame!

Yeah, and I felt my opinion was important enough to me to jump in the fire!
                      Can't believe you felt it proper to treat anyone that way. Who the (Blank) do you think you are?!!!
                      Last edited by Menehune Man; September 3, 2006, 12:35 AM.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Howzit CanadianGuy!
                        Alot of times if a company wants you to work for them, they will "Sponsor" you to work in the U.S. and help with all the papers. Of course that means you have to apply for the jobs first (done) and if they wish to hire you the process then goes from there. Good luck, eh!

Comment

Hello CanadianGuy,

Based on my HR knowledge since I hire people from all over.... not an immigration lawyer.....

Canada and Mexico are eligible for work (TN) visa under NAFTA. You should take some time to read all the many sections as it relates to employment and visa's on the USCIS website. It has all that you need and more more more.

Here is the info on NAFTA
                          http://www.uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll...b-8cfrsec2146d

***Canadian citizens are NOT eligible for the Visa Lottery held each year**** just wanted to correct what someone said before.

I do agree somewhat with Auntie, with all the info out there on the internet there is no reason why you could not have found this out yourself without coming in here to ask. Nobody here is an immigration lawyer. If you search on google and type in something as simply as "canadian work in the U.S." or many other questions you will find tons of info that will answer all your questions.

I am sooo thankful for being alive in this internet generation where everything and anything possible is at my disposal without having to leave my house.

Much luck to you!!!
                          Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                            Both Aunty Lynne and Manoa for backing her rediculous lashout at an honest question are out of line.
                            Neither of you know it all even when you think you do. Totally lame!

Yeah, and I felt my opinion was important enough to me to jump in the fire!
                            Can't believe you felt it proper to treat anyone that way. Who the (Blank) do you think you are?!!!
                            Menehune Man, I ain't Lame! He da one who came in hea and wrote in his first post. He Canadian, he applied for jobs but he dunno if he can come. Now wouldn't you find out first if you can go to a place before you apply for a job?

As far as Welcoming new members with Aloha, I have always done my share. But when someone asks a "stupid" question ~ I answer. I don't think it was Lame at all.

Have a Good day.

Auntie Lynn

Btw: Mahalo Queenolu and Manoa.
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; September 3, 2006, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Menehune Man, I ain't Lame! He da one who came in hea and wrote in his first post. He Canadian, he applied for jobs but he dunno if he can come. Now wouldn't you find out first if you can go to a place before you apply for a job?
                              Can't even admit that you were nasty for no reason other than some sort of misplaced arrogance?
                              As far as Welcoming new members with Aloha, I have always done my share. But when someone asks a "stupid" question ~ I answer.
                              But you didn't answer you attacked the question.
                              I don't think it was Lame at all.
                              If you read the other responses you'll see that he was answered properly by other posters
                              Have a Good day.
                              Have a good day too Auntie!

Comment

Working...
                              X