crime in honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crime in honolulu

i wondered does honolulu have a high crime rate? do alot of people get mugged?
    *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
    http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Re: crime in honolulu

Check out this thread, where we dug up a few statistics. Basically, Honolulu is pretty safe for a city its size. Violent crime is low but property crime (i.e. theft) is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Check out this thread, where we dug up a few statistics. Basically, Honolulu is pretty safe for a city its size. Violent crime is low but property crime (i.e. theft) is a problem.
      i asked as my son said to be careful, of couse i told him i will look out
      *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
      http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

We didn't have any troubles ourselves, but I've been told to take all those warning signs about rental car break-ins *very* seriously.

Comment

Yep. There's a reason rental car trunks have huge, neon banners mounted in them that basically say, "Never leave anything here if you plan on keeping it." Thieves can get through a row of cars in no time flat, and are getting pretty brazen.

Here's a more current report on Honolulu crime stats, showing an uptick in violent crimes (which are generally less common here). But the decline in property crimes continues a trend noted at the start of the year.

Comment

Honolulu violent? Hmmm let's see some guy dies from injuries sustained after being beaten to death in front of bystanders and the perpetrators get away in full view...Nah it's safe

Honolulu is a violent place simply because there are over 800,000 people living on a rock the size of Puna here on the Big Island. Honolulu is a place where you can call four walls a roof and a floor about the size of my kitchen your home and your neighbor is right on the other side cooking crack so he can afford his Half-Million dollar box.

At some point this limited space where neighbors are literally in your face becomes a problem and people react.

A person's personal space (proxemic zone) is his "comfort zone" intrude on that zone and they become intimidated, offended or at least uneasy. There's a lot of uneasy people in Honolulu and that can lead to uncertainty in their behavior. Add drug and alcohol abuse into the mix and you have a problem which can lead to a very violent place to live in. People's comfort zones are being diminished everyday another housing development comes up.

Honolulu is a dense-packed city with it's infrastructure being over-stressed by the sheer volume of people living there. Violence is a way to vent that frustration of living in a crowded environment. That's why I moved outta Honolulu because it was getting too violent. My kids don't need to experience road rage or hear the almost continuous sounds of cars honking in frustration, sirens blaring from emergency vehicles or broken-in automobiles, or the almost continous sounds of pile driving and jack hammers that scar the Aina.

As Kimo said once, it's getting out of hand and with the over developments going on it only leads to the human persona becoming more violent as a way to vent their frustrations in a land gone amok. We destroy our environment...then the environment destroys us.
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 6, 2006, 10:08 AM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Honolulu violent? Hmmm let's see some guy dies from injuries sustained after being beaten to death in front of bystanders and the perpetrators get away in full view...Nah it's safe

Wow, when did THAT happen ?
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                Wow, when did THAT happen ?
                He's probably referring to the bike/road-rage incident in Waianae...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard

Which is part of the C&C of Honolulu

Comment

Two have been arrested, a third is being sought. Let's see which witnesses, if any, step up.

Comment

The media is currently calling it "road rage", but is it really "road rage" when the aggressor leaves the original incident, goes off to round up some buddies, and then comes back to hunt down the victim in a new location (which is what the news reports)? The attack sounds premeditated to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                        The media is currently calling it "road rage", but is it really "road rage" when the aggressor leaves the original incident, goes off to round up some buddies, and then comes back to hunt down the victim in a new location (which is what the news reports)? The attack sounds premeditated to me.

I think because it started from a Road Rage incident it was labelled that way. But I agree on the premeditated part. These guys went out of their way to hunt down their victim and kill him. I hope that guy that was killed had big friends in Halawa Fed Pen.

Comment

Didn't mean to start a controversy over the terms Just referring back to the other thread. I pretty well agree with you guys, though "road rage" can be pretty serious in some places. We've heard several stories out of Reno (from family that lives there) of people getting miffed about some traffic thing, and following the person to where they're going, beating them up, and taking off again. That sorta thing is not terribly uncommon there unfortunately

Comment

Gee Craig, you paint a pretty grim picture. Makes me wanna pack up and move to Keaau too.

Comment

It's peaceful out here. The nights are dark and almost quiet... the coqui's are coming towards my area.

You can look up to the night sky and see the milky way in it's full glory stretching from horizon to horizon.

Comment

Working...
                              X