Time to Pimp my Ride!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Pimp my Ride!!

Okay, not that kind of extreme change, but I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers and stereo, and maybe the rims/wheels.

Of course, being a computer geek, I'm totally clueless on what goes on in a car, much less how to change things.

1) Is there any suggestions on a good audio shop I can go to, with a knowledgable staff?
    2) Any tips/tricks for this?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Time to Pimp my Ride!!

Originally posted by doc1456
    Okay, not that kind of extreme change, but I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers and stereo, and maybe the rims/wheels.

Of course, being a computer geek, I'm totally clueless on what goes on in a car, much less how to change things.

1) Is there any suggestions on a good audio shop I can go to, with a knowledgable staff?
    2) Any tips/tricks for this?
    1) Good and knowledgable = BIG BUCKS!

2) Charge more for your work or do trade with a reputable audio shop. I'm sure they're as much in the dark about their computers as you are about their expertise.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      2) Charge more for your work or do trade with a reputable audio shop. I'm sure they're as much in the dark about their computers as you are about their expertise.
      The sticker on my car will do that.

And if I change anything (rims/tires, stereo, speakers, etc) will my trade in value go up or down?

Comment

Car stereos are something that you can usually do yourself. Check out Crutchfield.com (I hope i'm allowed to post sites) Every piece of stereo equipment you buy comes with instructions for your specific vehicle from teardown to re-install. I purchased a stereo dash kit from them and got a bunch of paperwork to show me how the dash comes apart and even how the speakers come out of the door. You may pay a bit more for the product, but doing it yourself will save $$. What kind of car?
        -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao
          Car stereos are something that you can usually do yourself. Check out Crutchfield.com (I hope i'm allowed to post sites) Every piece of stereo equipment you buy comes with instructions for your specific vehicle from teardown to re-install. I purchased a stereo dash kit from them and got a bunch of paperwork to show me how the dash comes apart and even how the speakers come out of the door. You may pay a bit more for the product, but doing it yourself will save $$. What kind of car?
          I decided not to do anymore additions to the car, as some parts are falling apart, and repairing them and customizing it will be useless since I'll eyeing to get a new(er) car.

And its a 1994 Ford Taurus.

(plus, since I can't park anywhere near my work place, it'll be garaged kept on the weekdays.)

Comment

I went in to get my minivan painted pink....1200.00!! So I suggest not asking it to be painted pink! I did just get the Satellite JVC stereo though I love it.
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
              I went in to get my minivan painted pink....1200.00!! So I suggest not asking it to be painted pink! I did just get the Satellite JVC stereo though I love it.

I just picked up a JVC Serius capable in-dash stereo that can play MP3 cds and tossed it in my piece of crap 1986 Honda Accord LX that I got from my boy after he couldn't sell it on Oahu for $500. If anyone's following my story on this car, so far two front tires, front wheel bearings, front brakes, front CV joint/axles, radiator, water pump, and stereo later, this car has roughly $2,000 invested in it. Needless to say I guess I'm keeping this car. Good thing though as my timing chain snapped on my Beamer yesterday on the Pahoa Highway. $80 to tow to my home six miles away on a transport.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                Back in '85 I had a 7.5' sailing dinghy and saw Nelson of One day Signs in the boatyard. I walked up to him and asked how much to paint my daughter'e name, Jasmine on the transom. He goes bring it and ten bucks to me and it'll be done. Then he asked what color? I told him pink. Pink?! He said, okay I'll be back here tomarrow so can do it then. It turned out choice! A nice cursive lettering.

I've also been trying to figure out what to do "special" to my little gold car... we'll see.
                Last edited by Menehune Man; September 28, 2006, 07:24 PM.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                  I've also been trying to figure out what to do "special" to my little gold car... we'll see.
                  Call it "Nugget"

Comment

Anyone knows of any reliable car audio places? Since it'll take some time for me to get a good paying job (I tried to buy a car yesterday, but I didn't make enough) then I'll have to rely on my car even more for home service. I just want a stereo that can play MP3 CDs and not have any visible toys sticking out (MP3 player, CD player, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                      Anyone knows of any reliable car audio places? [...]
                      I just want a stereo that can play MP3 CDs and not have any visible toys sticking out (MP3 player, CD player, etc)
                      The only place I've dealt with recently is Auto Audio on Pensacola. Nice people there but I'm too untechie to know anything about car sound systems. As long as it plays my iPod, I'm happy! Oh, I did see a $17,000. sound system at AA! The owner said it wasn't the most expensive! Jeez...that's almost twice what I paid for my car!

What about Circuit City or Sears?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        I might be getting one online, so I don't know if they do installs for products not bought from them. Plus, they tend to be a bit more expensive for installation (just like computer services). I'll try and call them tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          The only place I've dealt with recently is Auto Audio on Pensacola. Nice people there but I'm too untechie to know anything about car sound systems. As long as it plays my iPod, I'm happy! Oh, I did see a $17,000. sound system at AA! The owner said it wasn't the most expensive! Jeez...that's almost twice what I paid for my car!

Auto Audio is okay but I've seen better. Circuit City I would never go to. I went in their service area one day and saw this one "completed" install. One of the rear 6x9 deck speakers was hooked up with the wires twisted together and electrical tape to cover the splice. How did I know? Because the irate customer who found the shoddy work was screaming at one of the boys there about the crap work they did there.

Okay I decided to install my own stereo at that point.

At Auto Audio I had those guys install my stereo in my BMW. Instead of doing it the right way, they did the old school way of tying in two rear speakers to give a simulated stereo sound. They bridged the left (-) speaker terminal with the right (-) speaker terminal then tied the stereo's rear (+) left to the left speaker's (+) terminal and the stereo's rear (-) left to the right speaker's (+) terminal. Basically they didn't hook up the stereo's right rear output because they were too lazy to run a stereo pair to the rear of the car. They ended up running both rear speakers in series.

A long time ago before stereo came out, some cars were only equipped with a front and a rear speaker for AM only. My car did have a stereo before but some asshole who's either in Hell or will be heading there one day, decided to rip out my entire stereo cabling along with the speakers. They did leave one speaker lead to the rear and that's what Auto Audio used to send the rear channel (note the cingularity in that word) thru it instead of running a new pair of speaker leads.

I had Auto Audio install a car alarm (Prestige) in my BMW and that turned into another nightmare. About the only good install on my BMW (all at the same time BTW), was the titanium tint. So far so good three years later.

Comment

NOTE: If you can build a computer you CAN install a stereo in your car. It's generally that simple. Check out the site I linked earlier...

Here is is in a nutshell:

Your new head unit will have wiring coming from it.
                            Your OLD head unit also has wires coming from it which are attached to a harness behind your dash.
                            You buy a harness specific for your vehicle and connect that to your NEW head unit.
                            Then you just plug and play. You shouldn't cut the harness off of the old unit. This way when you go to trade in your car, you can easily put the old stereo back in and take your new one with you.

About all you need tool wise would be screw drivers and wire cutters/strippers.

And to connect the wires together, i generally go to Radio Shack or Wal-mart and buy Butt Connectors. Just slide the wires in and crimp them.

As far as fitting IN the dash, you may or may not require a dash kit which is basically a plastic mounting kit to make the new stereo fit in the opening of your vehicle.
                            -kp!

Comment

Okay, I've saved up enough money to get a car alarm (gotta protect my equipment inside first).

Is there a place near Waipahu, specifically where I can just drop my car off and go shopping or something while they do the install? A friend recommended a place downtown, but I don't want to travel down there just for an install.

Comment

Working...
                              X