No announcement yet.

HawaiiDemocrats.com - Need some help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiDemocrats.com - Need some help...

First things first, I'm not a Democrat (or a Republican for that matter), just a newly concerned voter who recently found it to be a little more difficult than it should to find information about the current election and the candidates.

So, after gathering a whole load of information, I decided to put it up on a website... www.hawaiidemocrats.com. I learned quite a bit from the entire process, but still wasn't so sure who to vote for, so that brought me here. I wanted to read what real people thought... and get their unbiased opinions.

If you could (anyone), please take a look at the site and let me know if it was helpful and how it could be improved.

Mahalo in advance.

** In case you were wondering, I didn't get paid for the site, don't have a cushy state job waiting for me and am not related to any of the candidates ... so I don't have any reason to push one guy or another. I just want to make a decision I can be happy with.

Re: HawaiiDemocrats.com - Need some help...

I'm not trying to rain on your parade because your site is well done and you seem to have put a LOT of work into it. However, using "hawaiidemocrats" as your site name could possibly be considered "cyber squatting". I'm certainly no attorney and I could be wrong but your site could lead people to believe they are at the official party site. and yes, I did see your link at the top of your page directing them to the real party site - its very small.

I do think your work is very good though and good luck with getting the information you are looking for.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

well put anapuni...

I thought it was official until I read the disclaimer.

Still could be used for others that need information... just kind of curious why they would post it here instead of something a little more mainstream?

However just by me posting here... I'm sure it will get some HT hits to see what Manoa is fricking getting himself into now!
      Last edited by damontucker; September 6, 2006, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the comments...

With regards to the domain name, it will be changing over to VoteAkamai.com which will include info for both parties. As for right now, the hot races are mostly on the democratic side, so it'll stay at HawaiiDemocrats.com at least until the primary.

As for the issue of cyber-squatting, while I am pretty well versed in internet regulations, I'm no attorney, so I don't know the actual law, but I do believe the words Hawaii and Democrats are not specific enough to consider my purchase of the domain to be cyber-squatting (which usually pertains to branded names). Well hopefully not, anyway...

Again, thanks for the feedback... anything more is definitely appreciated.

Comment

Well, since the official party site is www.hawaiidemocrats.ORG, yours is really close - close enough to be considered cybersquatting. Again, not being an attorney - I think unless you got the domain name in order to sell it to someone, it isn't illegal. But, it is misleading and anyone doing a search could come up with your site instead of the party sanctioned one - that could cause major confusion since I don't believe you are authorized to speak on behalf of the Democratic Party? It has now been reported to the media person at the Democrat Hdg. so you may be hearing from them.

I think your decision to change the domain name is probably a wise choice - sooner than the primary would be a good thing.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiDemocrats.com
            With regards to the domain name, it will be changing over to VoteAkamai.com which will include info for both parties. As for right now, the hot races are mostly on the democratic side, so it'll stay at HawaiiDemocrats.com at least until the primary.
            I think VoteAkamai.com with commentary on both parties is an excellent idea. Right now the focus on Democrats coupled with the bold proclamations of independence ("unbiased resource") ring quite hollow.

The fact that the site speaks in the first person but doesn't identify the allegedly separate contributors (or which of those listed is the "I" for the site overall -- and you, I presume) is also a ding against it. "Mano Pua" in the Downtown Planet was great, but it looks like your site is striving for more credibility than comedy so I'd hope you can find contributors willing to put their name on their words. Otherwise, how do we distinguish serious analysis from cheap shots? And you have one proclaimed Case fan, but couldn't find an Akaka supporter anywhere? At least half the people on the island are!
            Originally posted by anapuni808
            But, it is misleading and anyone doing a search could come up with your site instead of the party sanctioned one - that could cause major confusion since I don't believe you are authorized to speak on behalf of the Democratic Party? It has now been reported to the media person at the Democrat Hdg. so you may be hearing from them.
            I don't think there's a cybersquatting issue here at all -- I'm a Hawaii resident who could be a Democrat and considering my domain-collecting trends could just have easily and legitimately nabbed it myself. Anything that begins with "Hawaii," that's my motto! Heck, that the official party site set up shop at .org (registered in Oct. 2002) but didn't grab and hold .com (registered in Sept. 2003) in the meantime fails Web 101! Using DemocraticPartyofHawaii.com would be iffy (as it implies "official" party affiliation, and is the formal name of the organization), sure. But the copious disclaimers and prominent link at HawaiiDemocrats.org more than suffice.

The DemocraticPartyofHawaii.com domain, by the way, is still available, if you'd like to notify the party of that too!

But going multi-party with VoteAkamai.com (and being a little more transparent) is a better idea anyway.

Speaking of independent sites designed to track local politics, though, don't miss HawaiiElectionWatch.org, set up by a friend of mine. Partisan only insofar as I think he's dissatisfied with 'em all.

Comment

Great feedback... exactly what I was looking for.

Heck, that the official party site set up shop at .org (registered in Oct. 2002) but didn't grab and hold .com (registered in Sept. 2003) in the meantime fails Web 101!
              Word. (Finally someone that speaks my language.)

And you have one proclaimed Case fan, but couldn't find an Akaka supporter anywhere? At least half the people on the island are!
              I've had a "Akaka advocate" on from the beginning, but he hasn't written anything yet. Hopefully he will soon. I should probably just add his profile anyway. Thanks.

Comment

I attempted to PM this but because Ryan's mailbox is full, I will post it here:

Ryan, I'm a little disappointed in your sarcastic remarks directed at me. I did compliment the persons hard work - its a good site, very informative. But, had I not been akamai about politics and visited this site, I might very well have "assumed" it was the official party site simply based on the name. and, as for what constitutes "cybersquatting", I asked an attorney who specialized in intellectual property issues and he said that if anyone wanted to really push the issue, it could be construed that way. All I did was mention to a person at Dem. Hdg. about the website - what they do about it, if anything, is not my problem. They may just laugh - or they may buy up all the other domain names. Again, not my problem. At least the current leadership is high tech oriented and will know about how to do these things. Previous regimes were not. I AM a registered democrat, active in the party - if this was not so close to the primary, I probably would have done nothing. But there are some important votes coming up that can affect all of us - regardless of what candidate we may or may not support. I don't vote strict party lines - never have, never will. What I mark on my ballot is my personal business - doesn't belong to the party or anyone else. There are however, some things that are just not cool to do - or at the very least, not well thought out. I will continue to bring up these points when I think I should.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

anaupuni -

I'm no expert in this subject... but the two words of Hawaii and Democrat seem like there pretty free game.

and who is ryan?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                    I attempted to PM this but because Ryan's mailbox is full, I will post it here:

Ryan, I'm a little disappointed in your sarcastic remarks directed at me. I did compliment the persons hard work - its a good site, very informative. But, had I not been akamai about politics and visited this site, I might very well have "assumed" it was the official party site simply based on the name. and, as for what constitutes "cybersquatting", I asked an attorney who specialized in intellectual property issues and he said that if anyone wanted to really push the issue, it could be construed that way. All I did was mention to a person at Dem. Hdg. about the website - what they do about it, if anything, is not my problem. They may just laugh - or they may buy up all the other domain names. Again, not my problem. At least the current leadership is high tech oriented and will know about how to do these things. Previous regimes were not. I AM a registered democrat, active in the party - if this was not so close to the primary, I probably would have done nothing. But there are some important votes coming up that can affect all of us - regardless of what candidate we may or may not support. I don't vote strict party lines - never have, never will. What I mark on my ballot is my personal business - doesn't belong to the party or anyone else. There are however, some things that are just not cool to do - or at the very least, not well thought out. I will continue to bring up these points when I think I should.
                    So you don't like the website. You went and cried about it to the Democratic party. You're not a lawyer. We get it.

Seems like you've done everything you could. Unless someone wants to file a lawsuit... but I don't think that's going to happen.

Comment

oh wait..............maybe he was joking with me? If that was the case, I apologize for taking it the wrong way. and now that I really think about it, I'm sure that was the case.......................It's been a long stressful day today (well, not compared to the other nite for so many of you) & my sense of humor was severely tested earlier today by an idiot.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Stay away from us idiots... we do tend to test people

Comment

ah, but that's where you're wrong - I DO like the website! It's got lots of good info on it. Even though I don't have to explain anything I will - I was having a conversation with the media person for the party about another subject & I mentioned this site. End of story. The rest of my posting(s) were my own personal opinion & also some info from an attorney that I had lunch with today (planned way in advance of this thread I might add). I believe I am allowed to express opinions here? Certainly you & everyone else manage to get away with that are there special rules that I don't know about? Instead of landing on me with both feet, why not just explain what I've done wrong? I'm certainly open to "behaviour modification techniques" and can use all the help you have to offer.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          So you don't like the website. You went and cried about it to the Democratic party. You're not a lawyer. We get it.

Seems like you've done everything you could. Unless someone wants to file a lawsuit... but I don't think that's going to happen.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Didn't say you did anything "wrong" at all. What I did say is that I don't think you'll see a lawsuit over the website. Just like you, I'm expressing an opinion.

Comment

You're right - no lawsuit. Besides, the website name will be changed later so for right now, I'm just looking at it as a good source of info for myself. I can use all the help I can get making my voting decisions - I probably won't know for sure where I will mark until I close the curtain in the voting booth.

By the way - that's a cool avatar.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X