Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todai Restaurant in Honolulu

Aloha,
    Quick question-has anyone ever done the B'day dinner here? How was it?
    Did you have to sign up in advance for the free dinner or just show ID to prove it was your day? Or did they give you coupon for a future date?
    Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Re: Todai Restaurant in Honolulu

Todai's?heheheh

Yeah, we've been to Todai's.

Surfingfarmboy came and took a bunch of us out last December.
    http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....surfingfarmboy

For more pic's on my Blog
    http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=239

Also, when Tita Lika came from Arizona.
    Blaine, D'Alana, Cranberry, Chis, Lil, Cran and I went to Todai's to have dinner there as well.
    http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=479

If it's your BD. All you have to do is show a picture ID.
    They don't give coupons for future dates.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 7, 2006, 07:23 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Cool...Mahalo for the reply Auntie
      Looks like a good time was being had there at Todai...The one here in NY gives out coupons when I asked and another location said you had to sign up in advance-seems each one does their own thing.

This might be a go then -Yippee!!!

Comment

You're required to have at least 3 (or maybe 2?, but I think it's 3) paying adults in order for you to get your free meal, otherwise they give you your meal receipt with a stamp on the back that says it's good for a free weekday/weekend dinner or lunch (depending on the time you go) that you have to use within 3 months. And if you do plan on returning, make sure the type of meal is correct (if you paid for a dinner, it should specify dinner on the back - not a lunch).

For your birthday, they do give you like a piece of cake with whipped cream frosting and a candle and they'll sing, too. However, they sometimes forget about that part. We went for my husband's birthday and there were people next to us who were having a birthday, too. Had we not been sitting next to them (they apparently visit for every birthday), we would have never known that they did the cake/candle thing because they gave both our tables checks and right as we were about to leave, she was like "You cant leave without your cake!!!" and urged us to sit back down; then she grabbed a waiter and asked where our cake was. It's good whipped cream, too! Like, not the stuff outta the can.

Edit: I've seen Todai's require you to call to make reservations for b'days, too. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but if you're going on a weekday, you should be ok. We didn't call ahead of time when we went in January.

Have a good one!
        -K

Comment

Ahhhh...now we have the potential hitch in the plans-probably only going to be 2 of us total
          If one does get the stamped receipt-I take it that it's only good for that location?

Thanks for letting me know all the lil details-still can keep them in mind

Comment

I dont know - the receipt didn't specify and I remember looking, too, because of a conversation I had with my mom: mom went to a Todai for her birthday and hers DID specify she could only use it at that particular Todai, which was of no help since they were on vacation and live on the otherside of the country. She was rather disappointed.

But since ours didn't say it had to be used for the same restaurant, I guess it could be taken to another, but I dont know if it'd be honored since each restaurant has a different birthday program.

-k

Comment

Hmmmm...very interesting about that B'day complaint....Thanks for posting that link.
              Maybe I will stop by their restaurant a day or two prior to my day and check IN PERSON their particular policy and all the fine print details-a coupon would be a bit annoying but one that I could only use at that location could prove useless or if they have some other strange restriction on it, I would rather know ahead of time b4 just showing up.

Comment

My family and I were there last month celebrating my wife's BD, we were a group of 3 adult and 2 kids total. So my wife is still holding onto the stamped voucher. I don't think it can be used in other Todais, but we are returning to Waikiki next month anyway... won't waste it.

FYI, if you care for a little discount in Todai and don't mind having your diner later. look for a coupon in the '101 things to do...' book, 10% off after 8pm. I think it is everyday.

liy

Comment

auntie lynn i love your blog
                  life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by christa
                    auntie lynn i love your blog
                    Thank you very much Christa!

You can post comments there.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiidreamin
                      Ahhhh...now we have the potential hitch in the plans-probably only going to be 2 of us total
                      Todai's isn't the only game in town... a lot of folks have good words for Makino Chaya, and I like the Japanese buffet at that restaurant in Manoa Shopping Center, but I can't remember the name.

Might want to call ahead and see if they offer any birthday specials, too.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info so far....I know Todai is not the only game in town-but I guess part of me in addition to wanting the option to get a very nice variety of food that I know was going to be good, was not to break the bank on it....

Still open to suggestions-please share any other places, that have a nice atmosphere, good variety and amounts of food, cost effective and perhaps where I can get a drink (can't be a B'day w/o at least one good drink) all under the same roof (I dare to dream)

Comment

i think the buffet place in Manoa is called Hifumi's.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                            Mel, There's a Hifumis at the Chinese Cultural Center facing the River. Is that the same company?

Note: I've been to the one in Manoa but I forgot the name. Excellent food and service. I can't say the same for the one at the Chinese Culture Center. The original Hifumis started in Kalihi where Diners is located by a Japanese couple from Japan. Although the wait was long, it was worth it. The food was excellent and their Shrimp Tempura simply devine.

Hifumi has since changed owners several times. The quality never consistent. MAMA still insists going there because of the waitresses. They still remain there from the original owners.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                              I think it's called Hanaki.

Comment

Working...
                              X