Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

Well, I have started to gear myself up to move, however, I don't know what to take, and what to sell here and rebuy. Big screen tv? Desk for computer? Dressers? I'd love to get some suggestions on what you took and what you sold before moving. If I sell the big screen, how much more am I going to pay for a new one? Ship it or sell it? Which is more cost effective?

Another interesting thing comes to mind, how do I dress in Oahu for a job interview? (food and beverage management) Certainly not the same as Las Vegas? I don't want to make a fool out of myself, or give the wrong impression by not dressing properly for the job interview. Any guidelines, or suggestions?

The anxiety is creeeeeping in on me at this time, I am almost ready to list my house for sale here...pass the chammomile tea, please.

Re: Overwhelmed with Moving...any Suggestions?

ask queenolu... she's in the same predicament and going through the same stuff...

Sell everything you can't store...because, you probably won't have near the square footage of living space that you have for the dollar that you have where you are living now.

Well you can ship the big screen tv to me...and I'll find a good use for it

Good luck hope...

Comment

For the big screen TV the older the TV set it is the better off for you not to ship it to Hawaii.

If you already have a place in Hawaii to move to, it's really up to you what big stuff you want to ship to Hawaii.

On the other hand if don't have a place in Hawaii to move to, then you best travel light and not ship any of the big stuff over.

Comment

In order to prove to yourself that most of your junk is crappola, have a garage sale and see what people offer for your "treasures".

I brought 3 boxes and 2 suitcases with me when I came to Hawaii.

I could have left 1/2 that crap too.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
          Well, I have started to gear myself up to move, however, I don't know what to take, and what to sell here and rebuy. Big screen tv? Desk for computer? Dressers? I'd love to get some suggestions on what you took and what you sold before moving. If I sell the big screen, how much more am I going to pay for a new one? Ship it or sell it? Which is more cost effective?

Another interesting thing comes to mind, how do I dress in Oahu for a job interview? (food and beverage management) Certainly not the same as Las Vegas? I don't want to make a fool out of myself, or give the wrong impression by not dressing properly for the job interview. Any guidelines, or suggestions?

The anxiety is creeeeeping in on me at this time, I am almost ready to list my house for sale here...pass the chammomile tea, please.
          When I was getting ready to move home, first I went through my apt. ruthlessly and looked at everything I owned - if I hadn't used it in the last 6 mos., it got sold or donated. I sold books, CD's, furniture. I kept my entertainment center/bookcase, my cookbooks (gourmet cook), all my kitchen stuff cause it's very good equipment. I kept my TV cause it was new, sold my stereo equipment. I kept one sofa table that I used as a desk, the new computer system, an Eames Chair and my bed & dresser. My clothes & linens came with me. That's it - and I shipped way too much. Now I'm trying to get rid of what I've accumulated in the last 10 years since I've been back - I just have too much "stuff".

As for how to dress for an interview? For your field, I would go around to a few restaurants & check out what the hostesses are wearing for work, and then tone it down a bit for the initial interview. If you have a tan, stockings are not a must - but if you have pale legs, then wear stockings at least for the interview. You'll get a feel for things just by observing how we all dress here - and it's definitely not LV style. It's a lot less formal & subdued I think.

Good luck to you! Let us here on HT know when you have a job & we'll all come have drinks/dinner where you work
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

LOL at manoasurfer123, I love the big screen, even though I don't get much chance to use it. It's fairly new, 2 years old. Since I don't know the price structure there, hard to say whether to sell and rebuy, or ship it. I guess I better start pricing the shipper, that should help a great deal.

I don't have a place there yet, planning to rent for a few months, then buy a condo there when I find one.

I am starting by having a major moving sale at my condo, which is bursting at the seems with "stuff". Then, an entire storage room with another entire household...lost two family members in the past three years, and frankly, have had a very hard time "disposing" of all their "stuff" thus far. Now, I must, and the relief will be a welcome thing, indeed.

All the memories of being in my mom's home...there's no place like mom's house. I miss her so terribly, every single day.

brought 3 boxes and 2 suitcases with me when I came to Hawaii.

LOVE this answer! I soooo wish it were that easy...I've already got my flip flop shoes and towel set aside, frankly, I'd prolly be happy with just that

Comment

Actually, Helen made a good suggestion: leave your stuff in storage until you get here & see what you will need. Make an inventory & bring it with you. When you find a place to live - either go back to LV yourself to ship things or have a friend do it for you, based on your inventory. I wish I would have brought less with me - my whole lifestyle has changed since I came back here.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The collector books are going on ebay tomorrow, followed by hundreds more! The last time I pared down the books, I swore I'd never "collect" them again...suuuuure didn't turn out that way, lol! Just too lazy to keep going to the library, I guess.

Oh, I just love the "subdued" dress style, I mean...it can take 2 hours to be that "impeccable" candidate for a job here, you must look like a magazine ad, and that always drove me crazy. Not that I'm a slob, but Las Vegas is soooo "image oriented". I just want to be myself, and be hired based on ability and expertise, not an "image". It may be hard to understand, unless you've lived here before.

Oh, and DO come and have dinner and drinks with me, I love to entertain guests! I'll make sure the food is tasty, the service is swift and friendly and you are happy when you leave...

Comment

I like Helen's idea, that's a great way to do it! Yes, less is best for me, I don't want to make the mistake of bringing too much stuff . I am at the time in my life where "stuff" is just not a priority. It just gives me a headache, lol.

The family that I have left here, just doesn't get it...but they're young...I'm 46 years old, and after the severe trauma I've been through in the past few years with the deaths...it suuuuuuure changes your perspective on what's really important in life...experiencing all you can in life...living it the way you want to ....stuff is just that..."stuff"...and I've never seen an armored truck behind a hearse!

Comment

....stuff is just that..."stuff"...and I've never seen an armored truck behind a hearse!
                    what a great statement!
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Oh, I just love the "subdued" dress style, I mean...it can take 2 hours to be that "impeccable" candidate for a job here, you must look like a magazine ad, and that always drove me crazy. Not that I'm a slob, but Las Vegas is soooo "image oriented". I just want to be myself, and be hired based on ability and expertise, not an "image". It may be hard to understand, unless you've lived here before.

Oh, and DO come and have dinner and drinks with me, I love to entertain guests! I'll make sure the food is tasty, the service is swift and friendly and you are happy when you leave...

We had an office manager for one of our tenants that is from Las Vegas - and her dress style just screamed it out! She has since toned it down but at first it was kind of shocking! We have a term for it here - "Hoochie Mama". I'm sure you get the picture
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

That statement comes with an interesting little story...I had this mean, miserable old man for a boss, I managed two of his nightclubs, and had 60 employees, all driving me crazy at once...great challenge, and great money, but the boss...a real piece of work!

He was worth 20 million, easy..and...one day, as we were counting the money from the poker machines...I glanced at him...miserly...in front of that money counting machine...and it hit me like a ton of bricks...

...for all the money that man has, I wouldn't trade places with him for all the tea in China! I had never met a man so estranged from his family, so cruel to my employees...so hearless in his comments to people...his wife had blown her brains out some 25 years earlier..and perhaps he drove her to it.

Then, it hit me...
                        "I've never seen an armored truck behind a hearse..."

Comment

"Hoochie Mama" is exactly how you're "supposed" to look here, however, I feel absolutely silly dressed like that. When I was a bartender in one nightclub here, all the girls dressed like that, so I had to go on a shopping spree...my stepdad would laugh when I visited and had dinner, dressed like that..."working tonight"? he'd say...and we all got a laugh out of that! I got rid of my "huzzy wear" a few years back, and sure don't miss it, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                            Actually, Helen made a good suggestion: leave your stuff in storage until you get here & see what you will need. Make an inventory & bring it with you. When you find a place to live - either go back to LV yourself to ship things or have a friend do it for you, based on your inventory. I wish I would have brought less with me - my whole lifestyle has changed since I came back here.
                            This is exactly our plan. Have a garage sale and donate stuff we definitely don't want anymore, box up and inventory most of the rest, and have a friend here ship it to us via USPS as we want/need it. That way too if we go and decide (like a lot of people) that it's not gonna work out, there's not much to move back. (I know that sounds a little defeatist from the outset, but it happens to a lot of people and "stuff" is just "stuff" -- if we could live without it and not need it all that much, maybe we should get rid of it anyway )

Whatever you decide to bring, there's a very good chance you'll find it's way too much. Here's a quote from a book I have on the topic: "Among all the people we've talked to about this, there isn't one (including ourselves) who didn't say they brought over way too much and if they had it to do over they would have sold most of everything before moving." It's also (probably) a big lifestyle change going from LV to Hawai'i and selling off old stuff and buying others when you arrive is a nice way to separate it in your head.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a LOT of people move and decide they can't take it, then move back. And they do the same thing on the return trip that they did on the way out -- sell all their stuff cheaply, at garage sales or whatever. So if you have a little patience you can apparently furnish a house pretty cheaply that way.

All that said, what you need to do is look at the sentimental value of things and their replacement vs shipping cost. For example shipping your car is not necessarily a good idea unless it's highly customized. You can often sell your car in the US and buy a similar one at a similar price, and save yourself $1k.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              ask queenolu... she's in the same predicament and going through the same stuff...

Sell everything you can't store...because, you probably won't have near the square footage of living space that you have for the dollar that you have where you are living now.

Well you can ship the big screen tv to me...and I'll find a good use for it

Good luck hope...

I hear someone calling my name..... here I am....

Ok, yes I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have had 3 yard sales so far and that is just to get those things I don't use out of the house...

The house will be on the market tomorrow....goodness, I cried when I was signing the papers.... I love my house, my first house..... I pray I am doing the right thing...

Anyway, back to the topic.... I am selling EVERYTHING.... as much as it may hurt to do that.... I just don't see the need to spend the money to ship things... afterall, its just me...... since I don't know what size condo I am going to get... and based on what I know.... will be glad to get 600sq ft of space.... I plan to ship my car for sure.... the peace of mind is well worth the cost to ship the car... I know my car and the care that I have given it since I bought it... can't go buy someone's piece of junk and don't know how it will run. Everything else I am bringing will be sent by USPS and by plane in my suitcases...

I have already sold many of my big furniture already..... just need to sell my bed set and a few others....

HOPE... IT'S JUST YOU ALONE.... SO........... SELL SELL SELL....... you probably will not stay home long enough to watch that big screen TV anyway...

All my sentimental things/records will be left at my moms house.

New life... new beginnings... new things....

Pray for me everyone.... that I get a great offer on my house and all goes well with the sale.

Mahalo...
                              Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X