What's up with Djou?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Djou?

Is it just me...? Djou doesn't seem like that bad of a guy...
    can someone direct me to stuff that Djou has done wrong?

He seems more of a whistleblower than anything?

I've met him personally on just a handshake and a few minutes of his time and he doesn't seem that bad!

Do I feel a HawaiiThreads Jealousy thing going on????

Manoa knows nothing of politics... however, I love a whistleblower!

Re: Case versus Akaka

Manoa... it's liberalism. Most people here do not like Republicans and conservatives like Councilman Djou. The tax and spenders don't like him because he voted against the GE tax hike to approve the Mufi train.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel:

I'm a Djou fan (mostly), but I gotta say it's not JUST liberalism. As the voice of the minority in the city council, Djou necessarily finds himself at odds with the rest of the council, with the mayor, and with Democrats in general. It isn't the ideals themselves that put him at odds; it's just the fact that his ideals are different and he's the one who speaks them. So I wouldn't call it "liberalism" so much as "different opinion."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

From what I have been reading here on HT... there seems to be some sort of "fear" of Djou?

Anyone want to point out a link or something that may tell me what is going on and why the stink about him?

2nd post with this same question.... I guess I wasn't happy with the way the question was avoided in the first place....

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          From what I have been reading here on HT... there seems to be some sort of "fear" of Djou?
          How did you arrive at the conclusion that there is a fear of Djou on HT? I didn't get that at all.

pax

Comment

Re: What's up with Djou?

I don't always agree with Djou, but I do appreciate his willingness to do his homework and present his views clearly and consistently (at least as far as I've seen).

Comment

Djou looks like a slimeball, IMHO. I tend to go with my gut in these political things. He absolutely gives me the creeps. I wanna slap him. Opportunist.

Sorry if I offended. Can you give me evidence otherwise?

Comment

If your gut tells you that he looks like a slimeball, gives you the creeps, makes you want to slap him and makes you think he's an opportunist, I dunno if there's any "evidence" that will make you think otherwise. You haven't cited any evidence that makes you feel the way you do. I'm not saying that you shouldn't feel the way you do, just that I can't think of anything to change your guts with The slimeball, creeps and slapping part seem to be instinctive reactions, but what, if anything other than your guts, makes you think he's an opportunist (I mean, more than any other politician)?

Comment

For the "old timers" on here - Djou reminds me a lot of Frank Fasi. If everyone else voted yes, Fasi would vote no. If everyone supported an issue - he would vote against it. I'm not saying Djou has the same qualities as Fasi - well, we all know what Fasi was like. But, as far as going against the grain - that's Djou. I personally am frightened by his teeth and this was before I knew he was a republican.

On a serious note, I have no tangible reason to not like him or trust him - however, I just don't. It has nothing to do with party affiliation or any personal knowledge since I have never met him. I just don't feel comfortable with him as a representative of the people. But then again, I don't live in his district so it's not my choice whether he serves or not. A lot of politics and our voting choices is "gut feeling" - its not something that we as voters can discount. Nor should any politician.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                    If your gut tells you that he looks like a slimeball, gives you the creeps, makes you want to slap him and makes you think he's an opportunist, I dunno if there's any "evidence" that will make you think otherwise. You haven't cited any evidence that makes you feel the way you do. I'm not saying that you shouldn't feel the way you do, just that I can't think of anything to change your guts with The slimeball, creeps and slapping part seem to be instinctive reactions, but what, if anything other than your guts, makes you think he's an opportunist (I mean, more than any other politician)?
                    I would welcome evidence to the contrary. As displayed elsewhere (most notably, the Steve Irwin thread), I am very open to alternate opinions. I am not molded in concrete. Nor do I sway with the wind, but I like to hear all sides of an argument. Perhaps you have something to offer that might make me think differently? I'd like to hear it. IMHO, he is a major turn-off. IMHO, he emits a sleaze factor that is undeniable.

I DO tend to go with gut reaction as a first response and have been proven wrong before. I don't hang on to my beliefs like a Rottweiler. I do believe we should all be open to change and be receptive to the opinions of others. It's how we grow and learn, after all.

What makes you like him (if indeed you do like him)?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                      For the "old timers" on here - Djou reminds me a lot of Frank Fasi. If everyone else voted yes, Fasi would vote no. If everyone supported an issue - he would vote against it. I'm not saying Djou has the same qualities as Fasi - well, we all know what Fasi was like. But, as far as going against the grain - that's Djou. I personally am frightened by his teeth and this was before I knew he was a republican.

On a serious note, I have no tangible reason to not like him or trust him - however, I just don't. It has nothing to do with party affiliation or any personal knowledge since I have never met him. I just don't feel comfortable with him as a representative of the people. But then again, I don't live in his district so it's not my choice whether he serves or not. A lot of politics and our voting choices is "gut feeling" - its not something that we as voters can discount. Nor should any politician.
                      Ah...the teeth. Yep....

And yeah...the gut feeling. Frankly, whenever I have gone AGAINST my gut feeling, I've been sorry.

Quadruple Scorpio. Gotta go with the gut. Rarely wrong, but once in a while... .....so I am open to argument...

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                        What makes you like him (if indeed you do like him)?
                        I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with a gut reaction.

I actually don't like or dislike Djou. I don't know much about him or how he has been doing in politics. I have seen some of him debating from time to time (notably on the tax for the rail) and thought that he was articulate and voiced what was clearly a minority position without being overly combative and without trying to muddle things up with only rhetoric. It seemed to me that he had done a lot of work to gather facts to back up his arguments and seemed well prepared for the opposition. I'm not saying I totally agreed with his position but that I do appreciate different positions being thought out and presented.

Comment

I got nosy so I googled images and got the above picture. Whats wrong with his teeth? I'm not from his District and I don't know much about him. But this thread is getting interesting.heheheheh

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

he has a skinny face & REALLY BIG SHINY WHITE TEETH!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                              I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with a gut reaction.

I actually don't like or dislike Djou. I don't know much about him or how he has been doing in politics. I have seen some of him debating from time to time (notably on the tax for the rail) and thought that he was articulate and voiced what was clearly a minority position without being overly combative and without trying to muddle things up with only rhetoric. It seemed to me that he had done a lot of work to gather facts to back up his arguments and seemed well prepared for the opposition. I'm not saying I totally agreed with his position but that I do appreciate different positions being thought out and presented.
                              Adri - you are right. He does make good arguments, its just that they seem only that - arguments. Kind of like - If you say yes, I'll say no. If he is just playing "devils advocate", he is doing a good job. Bjut my feeling is he would be more productive if he showed support for the majority. Right now, it seems he is only trying to position himself for a run at higher office.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X