"Jericho" on CBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jericho" on CBS

"Jericho" on CBS made its debut tonight. I watched the premiere episode just to see if I would like the series. If you like a downer about surviving a nuclear blast in a town many, many miles away from the catastrophe, then this series may be for you.

It kind of reminds me of an old British movie (Threads) that was made in the 1980s about the survivors in this small town who survive a nuclear war many miles away. There was another movie in the 1980s on the same premise that was made in the U.S.

I am sure the program's serialized storyline will carry on from episode to episode as viewers learn what happened, who the good guys are, who are the baddies, etc. Kind of like "Lost" except that it is in Kansas (which also brings to mind the mini-series The Day After)....

Of course the biggest mystery is whether or not this series survives the ratings and the network to at least December or possibly beyond.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: "Jericho" on CBS

I saw Jericho as well. I am kind of glad it's at 7:00 pm which for the time being is not against Lost's time slot of 8:00 pm.

The main character Jake Green seems to have some sort of checked past. Three different people asked him where he was for the last 5 years and each time he gives a different answer. I could accept the answer of in the minor leagues and in the Army, but the 3rd answer was in the Navy. The fourth time he was asked answer #4 just hinted he was in the military as a screw up.

At the start of the episode it was hinted that the president was going to address congress about the increase of world conflict.

Comment

What I saw last night was a mess. The plotlines ran all over the place and I got bored really quick. I did love Pamala Reed back on TV ,but that was about it.
      Entertainment Weekly has this to say about the show getting the ax:
      Jericho (CBS)
      THE PLOT An estranged son (Skeet Ulrich) returns home to see his surroundings blown to smithereens by a nuclear holocaust. WHY IT'LL DIE Ulrich may be killer, but his encounter with Dancing With the Stars will likely prove fatal. ODDS IT'S FIRST 8 to 1
      All I can say was thank God Criminal Minds was on afterward to wake me up.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I'm watching this show tonight... 2nd episode....

All I can say is I hate it when someone holds a piece of information to him or herself.

Talk about doom and gloom.... very "tacky"...
        Last edited by mel; September 27, 2006, 07:58 PM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

For some reason I've always liked post-apoc movies, but this series is too slow. Everyone's too calm. If you knew that some big cities were nuked, wouldnt you freak out a bit more?
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I am wondering given the amount of places that got nuked that it's not an all out nuclear war.

Or something like the ending of the movie Failsafe. USA drops a bomb on New York City after accidently dropping a bomb on Moscow.

Comment

Heh, remember Red Dawn?
              Now if the series turned into something like that, with more action I'd really watch it.
              Or something like The Stand or some kind of Independance Day.
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Wasn't the initial disaster in The Stand biological in nature?

From last week's episode the residents of Jericho found out that Denver and Atlanta got hit. Last night's episode Hawkins finds out over the radio that Chicago, Philadelphia, San Diego and three other places got hit.

What's sort of interesting is that Jake initially went to Denver to pick up his car, goes to Jericho to pick up the inheritance his grandfather left him and was planning to go to San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                  For some reason I've always liked post-apoc movies, but this series is too slow. Everyone's too calm. If you knew that some big cities were nuked, wouldnt you freak out a bit more?
                  Slow, I don't think so. It only had two episodes shown and each episode so far covers a day. Last year's series Invasion was really slowed paced at the start.

As far as the town's people being clam. To their knowledge so far only two cities got hit. Perhaps Hawkins kept this to himself to avoid panic and hopefully in the future he would tell the mayor about it.

Comment

My first impression of Hawkins during the first episode was that maybe he had escaped from the prison bus. But that impression was wrong during the second episode when we are shown his wife and kid and the mention of another kid.

He seems to have an agenda in this episode as he sneaks in to someplace to get some weapons and whatever was in that barrel that he seals up in his house.

As far as the attacks goes, 8 US cities are hit. No idea on who did it but it seems that conventional forces were able to react after the attack.

I am also wondering if the person who died in the salt mine may have been accidently killed.

Comment

One thing for sure, there are many people that will eventually find their way to Jericho and the residents there are going to have to deal with them... we've only seen 2 of the prisoners from the bus... how many others are running wild? Now there may be the plane crash survivors.... possibly several of them. Where are they?

Would all the food on the train be safe to eat?

Is the lady who touched the black stuff on the ground after the rainfall was over going to get sick? Seems like not too much fallout rained on the town as the people all walked around the place with no ill effect. Plus the few who had geiger counters did not detect much radiation.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        One thing for sure, there are many people that will eventually find their way to Jericho and the residents there are going to have to deal with them... we've only seen 2 of the prisoners from the bus... how many others are running wild? Now there may be the plane crash survivors.... possibly several of them. Where are they?

Is the lady who touched the black stuff on the ground after the rainfall was over going to get sick? Seems like not too much fallout rained on the town as the people all walked around the place with no ill effect. Plus the few who had geiger counters did not detect much radiation.
                        There were a few things that didn't make sense here. The radiation detector did not detect much of anything and everyone was able to go out and do what they want. But yet, the woman touched the black stuff and she got sick. Wouldn't there be more people getting sick because every came running out and I am sure they were touching things along the way and all over.... so it makes no sense that many others are walking all over town with no ill effect.... as you said.

Can't wait to see the next show.
                        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Well they do have geiger counters to check it out.

If the rain did have radioactive stuff in it would have fallen way before reaching Jericho, assuming it started to rain 2 hours before the storm came to Jericho.

Did they say how far away Denver was from Jericho?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            Slow, I don't think so. It only had two episodes shown and each episode so far covers a day. Last year's series Invasion was really slowed paced at the start.

As far as the town's people being clam. To their knowledge so far only two cities got hit. Perhaps Hawkins kept this to himself to avoid panic and hopefully in the future he would tell the mayor about it.
                            When 9/11 happened, people were freaking out. If you knew a US city was nuked, the radios/cell phones/internet/telephones,etc arent working, I think people would assume the worst and go bat-sh!7...
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I had high hopes for 'Jericho', and after 3 episodes, I'm still underwhelmed.

I think it's better than average, but I'm just not getting the "wow factor" I get with shows like 'Battlestar Galactica', 'Heroes' and 'Dexter'. I'll probably keep watching it, but if I ever need space in my DVR, that'll be one of the first things to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X