Superchunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superchunk

I've been hearing about Chapel Hill's Superchunk for more than fifteen years, and my favorite musician, Bruce Cockburn, actually included the band's name in one of his song lyrics, but I finally downloaded its No Pocky for Kitty (Matador, 1991) and was BLOWN AWAY by it. It's buzzy, noisy, feedbacky alt-pop that makes me long for the early nineties again. It reminds me a little bit of Veruca Salt (but with male vocals) -- that sorta speedy, race-to-the-finish-line approach, with short songs and an almost dissonant approach to song structure really appeals to me. I don't know how I have gone so long without hearing this! Check out this album's "Tower," which has an almost "Stranglehold"-like groove, but with a more frantic drumline and almost muted vocals. Love it.

I'm currently downloading On the Mouth (Matador, 1993) from eMusic.com and can't wait. I'm so pumped that I can't sleep, and it's long past my bedtime. Grr...I think I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to give this next album a listen.

Anyone else experience the joy of Superchunk?
    Last edited by scrivener; October 3, 2006, 12:56 AM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Superchunk

I listened to mp3 samples of EVERY track on No Pocky for Kitty. It did absolutely nothing for me. Upon that brief first impression, every track sounded practically alike. I guess I'm not one for dissonant song structure.

If you're into alt/pop/rock music (or some hybrid of those genres), check out Tikiyaki's former band, Fuzzbubble. Good stuff! Along the lines of Superchunk, though not "noisy" and far from dissonant. Actually quite melodic and catchy compositions.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here's the album page for "No Pocky for Kitty" in iTunes. I'd forgotten about Superchunk... kind of trying to revive the glory days of punk, but with less angst (which, according to some, would be pretty key to "real" punk). Might have been KTUH that had their "Slack M**********r" in high rotation when I was in high school.

An awesome guy we worked with at Ke Kalahea at UHH, Dahron, was from Chapel Hill and played their stuff (along with Archers of Loaf).

Can't say, sampling here and there, that I'm inspired to buy any of their stuff, but in the right mood I certainly wouldn't turn 'em off. Thanks for sharing your joy, Scriv. I'll definitely give an extra listen to the tracks you've singled out.

Comment

I remember Dahron going on about NC bands, especially Archers of Loaf, but don't remember anything about Superchunk. Too bad I wasn't paying attention, but I wonder if the great feeling this music gives me discovering it now would have been there if I'd liked it in 1994.

I'm still digging <i>No Pocky for Kitty</i>, especially the first half of the album. <i>On the Mouth</i> is more of the same, but not quite as memorable as <i>No Pocky</i>. I have a feeling I'm going to like <i>On the Mouth</i> a lot more, though. Albums that take time to grow on me tend to be the best albums.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
        X