Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Curiosity

Out of curiosity....

Is there Hockey in HI? I know... stupid naive question. But honestly. It's warm (understatement) out there so I wonder. Hey if the Jamaicans (sp?) have a bobsled team why couldn't HI have hockey?

I think I'd go through serious withdrawal if I moved to HI and had NO access to see hockey games.
    -kp!

Re: Hockey Curiosity

Tucson had a hockey team, so anything is possible... it's not like the games are played outside after all.

Most of their team members were out of staters from places like Michigan and Alaska, coming to the university.

Comment

There are hockey groups at Ice Palace. Here's a Star-Bulletin profile from 1997. The league scores do turn up in the sports section now and then. Otherwise, I think a lot of folks go with inline hockey, outdoors and on wheels.

Comment

as a fairly rabid hockey fan, i am constantly bummed out by the minimal NHL coverage we get through the local news...with mixed martial arts being so popular, it makes me wonder why there isn't more interest in the most savage professional sport there is here in hawaii...
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
          I think I'd go through serious withdrawal if I moved to HI and had NO access to see hockey games.
          I used to live close to the Canadian border and I loved my Vancouver Canucks for a while... once I moved here... what is Hockey? Nah... you'd find something else to watch...(volleyball?)... I crave my winter sports... skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, etc.... However, once you get here... you forget all about it and want to take in more of what Hawaii does have to offer. (and you can snowboard on mauna kea on the big island on rare occasions)
          Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          There are hockey groups at Ice Palace. Here's a Star-Bulletin profile from 1997. The league scores do turn up in the sports section now and then. Otherwise, I think a lot of folks go with inline hockey, outdoors and on wheels.
          Anyone here on HT interested in a skating party sometime? I'm down!
          Originally posted by jdub View Post
          as a fairly rabid hockey fan, i am constantly bummed out by the minimal NHL coverage we get through the local news...with mixed martial arts being so popular, it makes me wonder why there isn't more interest in the most savage professional sport there is here in hawaii...
          I actually think MMA is more savage than Hockey... Hockey is more team related.... MMA can be just one on one pulverizing (and much more entertaining on a sick level I guess... cause who watches hockey for anything more than the fights? If MMA is just gonna go straight at it... )

Comment

I dunno... it's weird for me. I grew up watching all sorts of sports. Lived in the SF bay area as a boy so I followed the Giants and the 49ers religiously. Then moved out to the midwest and followed those teams as well as the Pacers and the Colts. Now I live in PA about an hour and a half to 2 hrs north of philly. Do I watch the sixers? no. Phillies? No... Eagles? Nope.

The year before the NHL lockout, my wife (girlfreind at the time) decided to turn me towards hockey. I can honestly say that I've NEVER been this passionate about following my Flyers! When they loose... heartbreak.

Hockey to me is So competetive, and really fast paced! I can't stand football hardly anymore unless they're making big plays all the time. It's too slow! You blink in hockey and you could be a goner.
            -kp!

Comment

Working...
            X