Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Stryker Brigade

PBN article

"This decision does not say that there cannot be a Stryker brigade in Hawaii. It says ... that the Army's decision to put the Stryker Brigade in Hawai`i was illegal because it was uninformed," Henkin told the AP.
    Last edited by Konaguy; October 5, 2006, 06:40 PM.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Stryker Brigade

Ruling holds up Stryker Brigade http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...10060418/1001/

"Plans to establish a $1.5 billion Stryker brigade in the Islands have been delayed after a federal appeals court ruled 2-1 yesterday that the Army violated environmental laws when it failed to consider other sites to headquarter the 19-ton armored vehicles."

Stryker base here is found illegal
    http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/06/news/story02.html

"A federal appellate court found yesterday that the Army had violated environmental laws by not considering all alternatives in establishing a Stryker Combat Brigade in Hawaii."

I'll be watching dis...my son is in the Stryker Brigade. No moa S.B. wea going? OH! No!!!! Not again. Iraq or Afganistan!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Stryker Brigade

I'm personally divided about this. On one hand, I don't want Stryker brigade based here. But on the flip side, it would bring 700 million into the state. On top of it, it would likely assure federal funding for the western portion of the Saddle Road re-alignment. The Army recently purchased 24,000 of former Parker Ranch land. Which would contain the re-aligned Saddle Road from m.m 42 to Malamahoa highway. Thus probably qualifying it for Defense Access Road funding.If there is no Stryker brigade here, all this will be lost.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Army asks judge to lift injunction on Strykers
        The Army is asking U.S. District Judge David Ezra to lift a temporary injunction to allow it to proceed with "critical" Stryker brigade training. In court papers, the Army has said a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision halting training with the 19-ton armored vehicles "is impairing the ability of the (Stryker) 2nd brigade to accomplish its military mission with a minimum of American combat-related casualties, a paramount national interest."
        Doug White comments:
        I am not a lawyer, but this sure sounds to me like the Army is attempting to eat the elephant one bite at a time. When those five projects are complete, they can be expected to approach the Court for permission to do a few more projects. This type of segmentation is against the spirit of NEPA, which is intended to consider the project in toto. Furthermore, the higher Court decision directed the Army to study the more fundamental question of alternate locations for the Brigade. Thus, each step taken by the Army toward making the Brigade operational puts a heavy thumb on the scale for the ultimate answer to that question, almost to the point of making the question (and the EIS process) moot.

Comment

On Oct. 26th ~ I wrote wea dey going again?

I wasn't sure. Now I am.

They are being deployed back to Iraq. They need the training!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I don't care if the military offers the state $100 billion. NO, NO, NO to the Stryker Brigade.

First, the military tried to be sneaky by "pushing" it through without adequately looking at other options, then they try to bribe us with money. Same old thing. Thank god for the many environmental and activitst groups that opposed the Brigade and brought it to the forefront so that everyone in Hawaii knows what the military is trying to do. Aloha

Comment

Ft. Lewis is considered the "spiritual home" of all the Stryker Brigades. I'm sure the Stryker troops destined for Hawai'i could be trained just as easily (and at less cost) either at Ft. Lewis or at any of the other Stryker bases.

Here is a story from the "Stryker Brigade News" about the implications of the federal court's decision to slow down training in Hawai'i and why Eartjkistice, in particular sought the injunction.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

In The StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/21/news/story07.html

More data on Stryker unit is sought

By Debra Barayuga

"The Army believes it can proceed with at least six construction projects during the review, a move strongly opposed by three community groups that object to the presence of a Stryker brigade here.

U.S. District Judge David Ezra granted a request yesterday by Earthjustice, which represents Ilioulaokalani Coalition, Na Imi Pono and Kipuka, for more information on the Army's proposed projects. But he will not issue a ruling until after he hears from the parties at a Dec. 18 hearing.

The Army understands and will abide by the court's request to provide more information, said Lt. Col. John Williams, chief of public affairs for the U.S. Army Pacific.

He noted that the Army's goal is to ensure the soldiers get the best training and the best equipment possible before they are deployed to the Middle East or elsewhere.

And finally...

Ezra said the greatest irreparable harm would be to knowingly endanger the lives of American soldiers. "If it's clear to me the environmental danger will not risk the lives of American servicemen and women, I will issue an injunction accordingly," he said."

There you have it. If it's clear to him the "enviromental danger" will not risk the lives of American servicemen and women...

In others words ~ SDFU!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I think our troops need to be adequately trained and equipped, but I'm not sure that doing this should have to preclude wiping out an ecosystem that has survived thousands of years, either, and which would take years to recover (look at Kahoolawe).

Tita Lynn: what is your objection to not having the Stryker brigade trained in Hawai'i if they could get the same (or better) training somewhere else?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    I think our troops need to be adequately trained and equipped, but I'm not sure that doing this should have to preclude wiping out an ecosystem that has survived thousands of years, either, and which would take years to recover (look at Kahoolawe).

Tita Lynn: what is your objection to not having the Stryker brigade trained in Hawai'i if they could get the same (or better) training somewhere else?

Miulang
                    Tita Miulang, you know my answer to dat. Conrad is with the Stryker Brigade. I'm all foa them training here...I want my son near me before he goes off to War again.

Lynn

Comment

At least you’re honest, Aunty. I give you that much. Most would not admit personal motivations and try to justify it some other way.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        At least you’re honest, Aunty. I give you that much. Most would not admit personal motivations and try to justify it some other way.
                        Of course TuNnL! There is no other way I write. I tell it like it is. fROM DA HEART & Da TRUTH!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          Tita Miulang, you know my answer to dat. Conrad is with the Stryker Brigade. I'm all foa them training here...I want my son near me before he goes off to War again.

Lynn
                          I knew that's what you would say, Tita. But sometimes we cannot have what we want, yeah? As long as Conrad and his troops can get the training and equipment they need to be as safe as they can be over in the Middle East and so that Kiana and Antonio still have a Hawai'i that has parts of it that retain the culture, I wouldn't have a problem with him training on the Mainland.

But my fondest hope would be that he and all the other troops wouldn't have to train to go to Iraq. Pipe dream, I know, but I can still dream.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            I knew that's what you would say, Tita. But sometimes we cannot have what we want, yeah? As long as Conrad and his troops can get the training and equipment they need to be as safe as they can be over in the Middle East and so that Kiana and Antonio still have a Hawai'i that has parts of it that retain the culture, I wouldn't have a problem with him training on the Mainland.

But my fondest hope would be that he and all the other troops wouldn't have to train to go to Iraq. Pipe dream, I know, but I can still dream.

Miulang
                            Like the saying goes..."whatever happens ~ happens for a reason."

It's not up to me, the soldiers nor the protesters. It's up to the Judge now. What he says goes. I can live with whatever he declares. I tell you one thing...if my son gets injured or should he befall heaven forbid something else...you can bet my voice will be heard for a looong time!

Lynn

Comment

You know, whether it's the Superferry (private industry) or the Stryker brigade (government), it's not so much the basic concept that fouls things up, but the apparent willingless to cut corners.

I'm not against the Stryker brigade, though I'm not exactly for it. But everything I'm reading points to them giving short shrift to determining exactly what it'll mean to Hawaii, rather than just how important it is to the military. Federal environmental impact requirements, and Hawaii's eagle-eyed scrutiny of them, is hardly a secret. If the military is willing to come out and say, in justifying this project, that environmental and cultural resources won't be harmed, if they're willing to say Hawaii is the best location for this training, why not invest the time, money, and energy to prove it in the first place?

"Because we say so" is usually a good enough excuse for the military, to be sure, but sometimes, it'll trip you up.

Comment

Working...
                              X