Hawaii Political Blogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Political Blogs

So, now that Google Reader owns my soul, I'm hungry for more, local political blogs to read. We've talked blogging tools and shared some of our own blogs already, but some are more personal than topical. I'm not looking for strictly political blogs, but definitely blogs with a local or Hawaii-focused perspective that will at least occasionally touch on politics and local issues.

I started with Doug White's excellent blogroll at Poinography, which seems to be one of the more complete lists (though it includes some mainland and personal blogs), then added in a few other local blogs (including those of our very own HT'ers). But there's got to be more.

Here's my list so far:
    Do you blog local politics or current affairs? Do you read any more-than-diaries Hawaii blogs?
    Last edited by pzarquon; October 17, 2006, 01:44 PM. Reason: That's a lot of links!

Re: Hawaii Political Blogs

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think I qualify. I rarely if ever blog Hawai'i anything (earthquakes aside), much less Hawai'i politics. For one thing, there are rarely enough seriously-contested political races to capture my interest (shame on me, I know), and for another thing, almost none of my readers (all 225/week) know or much care about Hawai'i issues.

Heck, look at the Daily Kos Hawaii blog -- you might find a couple of entries of mine there from 2002, but if there are too many more there I'd be surprised.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

You count in my book! You're an active local blogger, a beloved HT'er, and you do write extensively about politics... just not, you know, local politics. As part of the above set, "Linkmeister" is definitely a must-read.

I don't want to be too exclusive in determining what makes a "political blog," I guess. A distinct take on current events from a Hawaii perspective (if not about Hawaii) works for me. And if there are other topics thrown in, like technology or sports or food? No problem. Ian Lind is also a must-read, after all, whether because of or in spite of his affection for cats.

As long as the blog isn't entirely introspective and autobiographical ("So, like, I went to Pearlridge, yah, and, like, there was this totally cute guy..."), I'll take it.

Comment

I started my blog because I was really concerned about the
        Hokulia debacle. It really took off from there. I've spent many hours working on and adding content to my blog.

I've only had 911 page views since its inception in October 2005.Which is a bit disappointing. But to me, I'm deeply concerned about the direction this island and state is going. Instead of idly sitting on my duff, I'm actually trying to do something about these issues.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          I started my blog because I was really concerned about the
          Hokulia debacle. It really took off from there. I've spent many hours working on and adding content to my blog.

I've only had 911 page views since its inception in October 2005.Which is a bit disappointing. But to me, I'm deeply concerned about the direction this island and state is going. Instead of idly sitting on my duff, I'm actually trying to do something about these issues.

Hey Aaron, I'm one of those 911 viewers!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            As long as the blog isn't entirely introspective and autobiographical ("So, like, I went to Pearlridge, yah, and, like, there was this totally cute guy..."), I'll take it.

I definitely don't fit the introspective model!

Ok, I'll see if I can think of any expats on my blogroll and pass them along.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. The only thing I would add is:

If you are interested in Hawaii politics and have somethings to say, start your own blog! That's why I began. Well, that, and I had what I considered one of the best domain name ideas ever, haha. So get in there. Write with a pseudonym if you're shy or worried. If it turns out that you don't like blogging, then stop, but please give it a try.

The bloggers already on the scene (myself included) really are no more credible than you, so I'm somewhat amazed that such a rich topic is still so thinly-covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Well thats good to hear , thanks for reading my blog.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  I spent a little while digging through there as well

Howard Dean's blog was an interesting place to be when he was making a run for president, and that was sure influential. It's kinda sad that more mainstream politicians aren't opening up like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post

Howard Dean's blog was an interesting place to be when he was making a run for president, and that was sure influential. It's kinda sad that more mainstream politicians aren't opening up like that...
                    Um, have you looked at any mainland races and the contenders? Nearly every House and Senate candidate has a blog this cycle. Heck, the Democrats even have a set of tools available for candidates and their supporters; I think the Republicans are trying to set up a similar widget.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                      Well thats good to hear, I appreciate it when people check out my hard work.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I spot check several of these blogs, read a few of them with some regularity too. Not telling which ones. My blog ended up with most of my political opinions posted there since I can just be a majority and minority of one at my own place.

Great list.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The blackout caused by HECO's response to the Sunday quake has spawned a new local blog: Citizens Helping Officials Respond to Emergencies (CHORE). Its author is Doug Carlson, former reporter and columnist and former HECO spokesman. Carlson already writes the Tsunami Lessons blog, started after the December 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, so CHORE is a clear descendant.

Comment

I added a real RSS feed to my blog here
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Ryan, have you seen this exchange at the Flickr Hawaii group? I love the part where someone says, "You're so pathetic. And your blog sucks."

The blog does suck. It sucks to the point of almost being hilarious. But if you're going for completion...
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X