Hawaii is 9th "Dumbest State"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii is 9th "Dumbest State"

Based on these criteria, a research firm in KS came up with the ranking that Hawai'i is the
    9th "dumbest" state in the union. Of course, that is like preaching to the choir but it makes me mad and it should make the citizens of Hawai'i hopping mad that a state like GA spends more tax dollars educating its kids in public schools than Hawai'i does. The only positive thing is that Hawai'i's ranking didn't go any lower compared to last year.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawaii is 9th "Dumbest State"

There are a few things that stand out to me... and all polls can be altered accordingly.
    5. Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 203) 6. Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 211) 7. Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 219) 8. Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 227)
    This could directly correlate to the amount of ESL students that we have compared to other states.
    11. Average Teacher Salary as a Percent of Average Annual Pay of All Workers
    If we paid the teachers more...then this would also improve this statistic
    13. Percent of School-Age Population in Public Schools (Table 389)
    I would say that there is a high majority of kids attending Private Schools here in Hawaii that if they were to attend public schools... it would also put us as being a bit smarter.
    http://www.morganquitno.com/edfact06.htm#FACTORS

Comment

can somone confirm something i read? did i read that principals will be paid based on how the school does?
      why dont we pay our policticians the same way?
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Not that I'm proud of this fact, but I noted that California went from #46 in 2005/2006 to #47 in 2006. Arnold should be so proud of Kahleefohneeah's education funding.

At least, Hawaii stayed at #42. Not that I'm proud of this fact either.
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Oh, it's the money. Oh, it's the system. Oh, it's the teachers. Oh, it's the facilities. Oh, it's the weather, the earthquake, the star alignments, or the volcano.

SORRY !!! WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a kid in public school, and you are not happy cuz they failing, it is very likely you will find the problem by looking into a mirror. Stupid kids come from stupid parents. AND THAT'S THE BALL'S TRUTH OF IT. If you know a kid who is failing, you need to throw verbal lickins on the parents, pin them down with mean-spirited accusations, and get them to fess up to their own failures. I do it once a week over here in South Kona. You either like me or you don't. But I'm for the kids. And I'm gonna pound you with the harshest truths until you decide to change things around.

Send your kid to school, well-fed, well-rested, well-behaved, and motivated to learn, and watch scores rise magically. I work with teen-agers every day of my life. Don't even question my credentials.

Instead, we got kids who eat rice and meat every day, while Dad & Uncle be suckenemup in the garage till 3 am everyday, and never know where the kid stay from 3-5 pm everyday, and then bitch at a teacher for putting their kid on detention.

Yup, I got an opinion on this one. And if you the parent of a dumb-ass, illiterate, foul-mouthed, ignorant brat, then I got some news for you. You better get right with yourself if you want your children to succeed.

Ainosked!!!!!
          Last edited by timkona; October 19, 2006, 08:34 PM.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Stupid kids come from stupid parents. AND THAT'S THE BALL'S TRUTH OF IT. If you know a kid who is failing, you need to throw verbal lickins on the parents, pin them down with mean-spirited accusations, and get them to fess up to their own failures. I do it once a week over here in South Kona. You either like me or you don't. But I'm for the kids. And I'm gonna pound you with the harshest truths until you decide to change things around.
            Again, Tim, and I know you’ve been told this numerous times... you have good intentions, but it’s in the way you say things that pisses people off. My hunch is you would win more people to your side if you would treat them with respect and civility.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

I'm glad Hawaii beat California in this competition, but I'm quite suprised that West Virginia beat Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Again, Tim, and I know you’ve been told this numerous times...
                Then why beat a dead horse? He's gonna do him, you do you. Leave it at that.

Comment

I believe as Pareto principle says
                  states that for many phenomena, 80% of the consequences stem from 20% of the causes.
                  I always tell my kid that 98 out of 100 (much more than 80/20) people are probably smart and use common sense, but he will meet more than 100 people in the course of an average day.
                  You will meet stupid people everyday and you can fix a lot of things,but as Ron White says.... You can't fix stupid.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

but it’s in the way you say things that pisses people off.

Kill the messenger, cuz we don't like the message. Just another hallmark of ignorance.

If you need sugar coating on your reality, try working at Disneyland. The people who would get angered by the WAY I say things are often the people whose children are a trainwreck in school. You know I'm right as rain, TunNl, you just hate that part of it. Liberalism is destroying many institutions in America today. But education is being hit the hardest by those bad philosophies. Empower teachers by giving them their classrooms back, and watch scores rise magically. If you need an example, just take a look at what happened at Konawaena HS recently. Some girl got beat bloody, and the principal actually said "we can't guarantee her safety at school". That is horse manure. While some ACLU lawyer smiles cuz he got paddles removed from the classrooms 30 years ago, and scores have dropped noticeably since. When did discipline obtain a negative connotation? When did Hawaii go from a 100% literate society 100 years ago, to a barely capable state? And why do so many people accept this reality with a shrug of the shoulders?

All children are bright, capable, and can be motivated. It should be a crime for parents to set expectations too low, or for parents to teach excuse making. I might be "just a volunteer" in some teen-agers life, but you better be thankful that I'm there. I teach success. I teach motivation. I teach empowerment. You would be surprised how many people in America are angered by this.

In Hawaii, this issue is THE number one pet peeve of mine.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

When did Hawaii go from a 100% literate society 100 years ago, to a barely capable state?
                      When the Republic of Hawaii banned the native Hawaiian language (‘ōlelo) from schools in 1896.
                      And why do so many people accept this reality with a shrug of the shoulders?
                      They don’t. Native Hawaiians have been raging against mainland haole ever since.

Any other questions?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Would seem that any viable effort to effect change of any sort would start with supremely educated children, where the expectations to exceed academically, in several languages, is a component of the supreme desire for self-rule.

Taken further, if a Hawaiian, who favors self-rule, has a child who is a bad student, or disruptive to other students, then that parent is essentially acting as their own enemy. This would be a good example of cognitive dissonance. Churn out a 100% rockin smart generation of youngsters, with tons of doctors and teachers, and watch the rebirth of the Hawaiian Nation take on added strength, momentum, & credibility.

It would be like rain on the flowers.

I will take this one step further. As you know I am neither for nor against a Hawaiian Nation of some form or another. As I weigh the facts, and history slowly reveals itself, I can honestly say that any effort by Hawaiians to promote and demand academic excellence from their keiki would be a positive influence on the process, from my perspective.

So if you know a parent, whose child is disruptive in school, or a bad student, perhaps you should call them on it. I do. And not for the sake of a nation, rather for the sake of humanity in general.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I will take this one step further. As you know I am neither for nor against a Hawaiian Nation of some form or another. As I weigh the facts, and history slowly reveals itself, I can honestly say that any effort by Hawaiians to promote and demand academic excellence from their keiki would be a positive influence on the process, from my perspective.
                          If you believe this, then why are you so against the current admission policies of Kamehameha Schools?

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

KSBE policy's clearly violate federal law, in terms of race based admissions policies. And if race is the issue, then how come those who favor Affirmative Action for its' inclusive policy's would also support KSBE for its' exclusionary policies?

You see, the basic question is one of nationality, not race. It's a fine line.

Perhaps using race as a wedge is a good thing, and I am all wet.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

KSBE policy's clearly violate federal law, in terms of race based admissions policies. And if race is the issue, then how come those who favor Affirmative Action for its' inclusive policy's would also support KSBE for its' exclusionary policies?

You see, the basic question is one of nationality, not race. It's a fine line.

Perhaps using race as a wedge is a good thing, and I am all wet.
                              The kanaka maoli WERE a sovereign nation until 1893. So it's NOT about race, and it IS about nationality.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X