X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus Stories: The Circle-Island Tour

$2 tour of paradise charms and exasperates
    Matt Sedensky, Associated Press, June 22, 2004
    The circle-island public bus tour is not an outing that's right for everyone. But it's an experience unlike any other, one whose merits you might consider when planning a Hawaii vacation.

Re: Bus Stories: The Circle-Island Tour

Hey, what did he expect for the price of busfare - it's a bus ride!

Comment

A friend of mine was visiting last week from Paris (France, not Texas), her second visit to these beautiful islands. And once again she took the "Circle Island" tour.

And I had to agree, those long long long minutes through the pineapple fields on the "West Side" are pretty boring.

I'd say take it from Waikiki to Turtle Bay, get off, and take it back the way you came from.

Comment

I think it depends on the bus driver...he/she can make the ride very interesting or very boring. Some drivers are very methodical...just announce the scenic place and give no more...others describe the significance of the site and really get the tourist "involved". We depend on tourists, we should try and be more understanding and patient even though sometimes it takes our own patience.
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

How long does the bus ride last? (if you don't get off). I was thinking of trying it. Probably catch the A to Ala Moana, then catch 52 and see the island.

Did anyone try to ride it w/out sleeping?
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

It's been years since I took the Circle Island bus ride. It has changed since then. On the West bound route after Dillingham Blvd. it then enters the H1 Freeway for a non-stop trip to Mililani Makua. In the old days it would gone on Nimtiz Highway making a lot of stops.

Comment

I used to get on *The Bus* as it was then called (may still be) in 79-81 outside of Schofield Barracks in Wahiewa and just ride and ride..........off to the pineapple fields and on to North shore and back.
              If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

It is known as TheBus. They even got a website.

Comment

One thing about the Circle Island bus ride is that you'll freeze if you stay on the whole time, so you get off to stretch your legs and realized the next Circle Island Bus will be there in about an hour. That's okay, next time it's TheCar.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    One thing about the Circle Island bus ride is that you'll freeze if you stay on the whole time, so you get off to stretch your legs and realized the next Circle Island Bus will be there in about an hour. That's okay, next time it's TheCar.
                    LOL.

But the beauty of having TheBus do the driving, is that you can chat it with your friends, and if there's little bit people, then you can walk back and forth (I'm sure that they'll understand why you're walking back and forth in the bus).
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                    X