Surfers legend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfers legend

Hi everyone! I was racking my brain trying to remember this. I didn't know where to post this. I remember there was this legend/myth/story? about some Hawaiian surfer that thought hawaiians were originally from some other island and no one believed in him so he set to prove them wrong. so one day he went on his surfboard to try and swim to some island and they never saw him again. Now every year surfers and other locals celebrate a day to remember him.

does anyone know what i'm talking about?? Can someone tell the real story and what the mans name was? I tried googling it, but i could not find anything. I know this is weird, but I thought this would be the best place to try and find that out. Thank you sooooo much.

Re: Surfers legend

This sounds like a mishmash of legends built from true tales; such as when George Helm attempted to paddle out to Kahoolawe in an act of defiance against the military, which used it as a target for military exercises. George didn't make it, in fact, there are ideas of what might have happened to him and supporters suspect he was a victim of foul play.
    And then there's Eddie Aikau, who surfed giant Waimea Bay and didn't live to tell. The Eddie Aikau surf event has a holding period each winter for waves at the bay to reach a certain monstrous height to conduct the contest. It doesn't get big enough every year to hold it.
    I would imagine there are annual memorials held for each of these men. George, for his convictions, and Eddie--because he would go.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Eddie Aikau disappeared on March 17, 1978 after he paddled away on his surfboard in an attempt to save his crewmates aboard the Hawaiian voyaging canoe "Hokule'a" after it capsized in rough water outside of Lanai.
      Last edited by Keanu; March 27, 2007, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        Eddie Aikau disappeared on March 17, 1978 after he paddled away on his surfboard in an attempt to save his crewmates aboard the Hawai'i voyaging canoe "Hokule'a" after it capsized in rough water outside of Lanai.
        I stand corrected! And it just goes to show how these stories get convoluted.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Go here some background on Eddie Aikau ...
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
            Go here some background on Eddie Aikau ...

Wow, Burl. Surely that story doesn't just sit around gathering dust? It shouldn't. Thank you. Now I really know. A good read.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

ty so much. Eddie Aikau is who i was thinking about. i don't know how i pulled that weird story out, but now i have it straight. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                Surely that story doesn't just sit around gathering dust?
                I think it was reprinted in one of the Chicken Soup From the Soul books.

That Dan Merkel photograph of Eddie riding a big wave was my own pick for what should be on the Hawaii state quarter.
                Last edited by buzz1941; March 28, 2007, 12:00 PM.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  I think it was reprinted in one of the Chicken Soup From the Soul books.

That Dan Merkel photograph of Eddie riding a big wave was my own pick for what should be on the Hawaii state quarter.
                  It is a glorious shot.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                  X