B.E.T. = Busted Every Time?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.E.T. = Busted Every Time?!

The headline of the Star-Bulletin's story is "Hawaii musician charged in ice bust":

Federal authorities have charged three people, including a member of the popular local reggae/ hip-hop group B.E.T., in connection with what appears to be one of the biggest seizures of methamphetamine in Hawaii history.
    Drug Enforcement Administration agents intercepted two parcels containing 50 pounds of the drug last month and arrested Joe Daniels, Junior Auelua and Lauolefisa Afo in Daniels' Royal Kunia apartment on Feb. 9 when the parcels were opened, according to court documents.
    Daniels, also known as J.D., is one half of the duo B.E.T., or Big Every Time, which has released five CDs and calls itself "Polynesian P-funk at its best."
    He's still in the Federal Detention Center, according to the S-B story and also according to this story in the Advertiser.

Thank God there's 50 pounds of ice that are not on the streets.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: B.E.T. = Busted Every Time?!

Kinda makes you wonder how, if you believe the dad, a person can pull off making a deal for 50 pounds for the first time or how someone inocent could be implicated. I mean really. Don't you kinda start with small figures at say $100 or $1K before someone trusts you enough to pull off a $1.5 million deal?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The dad is saying that because the son doesn't use the product himself...a smart dealer won't. Even if he (or someone in the house) isn't dealing and is acting only as a relay point, to have that quantity of product shipped in that manner shows it's been done before in smaller quantities. They probably tripped themselves up by getting greedy and shipping too much or too often.

It's also possible J.D. was putting the breaks on the activity so the others went for the big blowout type shipment to tide em over till they found a new holding station.

It's a numbers game and their number came up.

Comment

Isn't B.E.T. the go! Airlines band?
        Last edited by Star of Gladness; March 5, 2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Kinda makes you wonder how, if you believe the dad, a person can pull off making a deal for 50 pounds for the first time or how someone inocent could be implicated. I mean really. Don't you kinda start with small figures at say $100 or $1K before someone trusts you enough to pull off a $1.5 million deal?
          yeah no kidding! I wonder if J.D Daniels has been associating with any known criminals who have access to that kind of money? FBI better search the B.E.T. websites and the B.E.T. MySpace page for photos. Should be pretty easy to do!

Whoops! Here we go!

Damn criminals!

Yes that's J.D. Daniels from B.E.T. chumming it up with a known felon! How humiliating for J.D.! Being photographed with a scumbag like Ornstein will prove to be far more difficult to explain in prison.

Ho ba what you in for. / got caught slinging batu. / aren't you JD from BET? / oh yah ba das me / yah, das you? you fly go? / Oh no! I promise wasnt me!

Poor bastard

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
            Ho ba what you in for. / got caught slinging batu. / aren't you JD from BET? / oh yah ba das me / yah, das you? you fly go? / Oh no! I promise wasnt me!

Poor bastard
            Someone doesn’t know how to spell “brah.” LOL!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Someone doesn’t know how to spell “brah.” LOL!
              as ridiculous as sog's tying of go with BET is, as if go were some sort of criminal hovel and attracts only bad people (tell that to all the average folk who fly go to save money, like mel), you obviously don't know that in certain parts of our state, people do say "ba," instead of "brah."

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

his own defense attorney has said that it will be hard to explain away the reason why his hands were tainted with whatever dye the feds used INSIDE the package. also, he's trying to get into a half-way house when a bed becomes available?!
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                  as ridiculous as sog's tying of go with BET is, as if go were some sort of criminal hovel and attracts only bad people (tell that to all the average folk who fly go to save money, like mel), you obviously don't know that in certain parts of our state, people do say "ba," instead of "brah."

heres the quote from the go! Airlines website

go! Big Every Time

Jonathan Ornstein, Chairman and CEO of Mesa Air Group, Inc. "We're delighted to be associated with B.E.T. In addition to making terrific music, they are great people who embody the modern definition of the aloha spirit" Ornstein added
                  birds of a feather flock together! Nothing from Mesa would surprise me now.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post

Well when you're all drugged out it's easy to forget to bring the tongue up to make the "R" sound in Brah and make it Ba instead. So where in the Hawaiian islands does someone use the word "Ba"? And when did that all start happening?
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      So where in the Hawaiian islands does someone use the word "Ba"? And when did that all start happening?
                      Interesting questions... I too have never heard "ba". Any clues to the etymology of "ba" as an alternate to "brah" (aside from craigwatanabe's drug theory)?

Comment

Here ya go....

Ba [ba] -noun ~

Based off of the local use of 'Brah' which is rooted in the shortened linguistic adaptation of the archaic noun 'brethren' brought to the Islands by English Missionaries. The dominate use of the term 'Brethren' in the clergy's attempt to Christianize the Native became the norm as opposed to the more standard less formal 'Brother'.

In the version of Island Creole English, known as Pigeon, the word brethren was shortened to 'Breh' (as opposed to the shortening of brother which would be 'Bro'). Due to the confusion occuring as plantation workers shouted to each other in the fields "Eh! Breh!" which because of distance or ambient noise came to sound like "Eh!Eh!" [meaning: "Holy crap!!! A big assed centipede just went run up my leg!!!"] was further changed to "Eh Brah!"

In areas laying the path of wind born volcanic emissions, now currently known as vog; or to those areas with a high volume of contact with touron disease, the term Brah became Ba not so much from a linguistic derivation but more as a result of constant nasal congestion and the inability to use the sinus cavities to aid in enunciation.

~sneaks off quietly~

Comment

Ba Ba Black Sheep have you any wool?

Yes, Sir

Yes, Sir

Three Bags FULL!

I just had to.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I live on the Big Island and in the areas most prone to Vog and work at Home Depot where I meet people from all over the island from all classes and I've never heard of anyone using that word "Ba". As a matter of fact when I came over to the Big Island from Oahu my use of the word "Brah" was taken as Haole Pidgin. To the more rural pidgin english users, and most on the Big Island we tend to use the word "Braddah" more often.

No one I've spoken to (and I talk to a lot of people as a sales associate) has ever uttered the word "Ba", at least not here on the Big Island...where vog is the most intense.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              Ba Ba Black Sheep have you any wool?

Yes, Sir

Yes, Sir

Three Bags FULL!

I just had to.

Auntie Lynn

"Well sir, I also have 50 pounds of crystal meth.....besides my wool"

Boooooooo Ha ha ha ha

Just couldn't resist this one!

Comment

Working...
                              X