24 Hour Fitness TV and Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Hour Fitness TV and Fox

Why, oh, why do so many gym rats at 24 Hour Fitness like Fox News Network? We have the luxury of cable TV in these gyms, and inevitably, we're stuck with FOX! In particular, Sean Hannity oozes arrogance, and it's hard for me to listen to the content of what he's saying because of all the "ooze."

I don't disrepect conservative thinkers (most of my family is). It's just that FOX News shows are so poorly done and frosted throughout with such unlikeable personalities that it's often unpalatable. FOX in spaced-out doses is fine, but it's the station of choice far too often and, unfortunately, precludes the 20- to 30-something gym population from viewing more substantial programming.

Once in awhile, my sister and I change the station, but to avoid feeling like a control freak all the time, we let it go.

Do other people who go to the gym feel the same way?

Re: 24 Hour Fitness TV and Fox

It's not just gyms. I've started avoiding restaurants and other places where Fox News is the default eye candy on the TV. I don't mind it when things get mixed up a bit -- sports one day, CNN the next, MTV another, then Fox. But I definitely noticed an uptick of "stuck on Fox" televisions in various places of business.

I expect to hear Christian music or see The 700 Club in a Christian bookstore. I figure I'll hear anti-establishment rap in a "fight the power" skate store. But in most cases, when I'm looking to conduct business or simply go about my day, I admit to preferring safe (if not sterile) environments. In my dentist's waiting room, in line at a hardware store, the most interesting thing I want to see is a fishtank.

I just consider CNN fairly middle-of-the-road, the TV equivalent of background noise. I'd be just as fine watching the city's traffic cameras or something... but CNN is probably better for your brain.

Of course, I'm speaking as a... well, non-Fox viewer. I know several conservatives who feel CNN is just as biased in the other direction. So your question makes me wonder: does a die-hard Republican feel just as uncomfortable in a lounge with CNN on TV as I do seeing Fox?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Of course, I'm speaking as a... well, non-Fox viewer. I know several conservatives who feel CNN is just as biased in the other direction. So your question makes me wonder: does a die-hard Republican feel just as uncomfortable in a lounge with CNN on TV as I do seeing Fox?
      You mean, CNN is supposed to be liberal? Since when?! There are no actual liberal TV networks in the USA. At best, they're self-interested.

Comment

Maybe there's a subliminal message somewhere that will make you want to eat more, buy something, or vote a certain way! It's usually too noisy to understand anyway.
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

I tend to tune in to the Cartoon Network whenever I want background noise in my place. Strange as this sounds one of the reasons why I don't tune in to CNN or FOX is that they tend to display those news strips on the bottom of the screen. Kind of distracting.

Comment

Working...
          X