HT's Artwork Sharing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT's Artwork Sharing Thread

LonLeroux's "Retro Pinup" thread (nice work, LL!) is a great example of the artistic talent folks on this board possess.

With that, here's a place to share and discuss some of the personal works you, or someone you know has done or are working on, in either a 2D or 3D medium. Sketches and drawings, paintings, carvings, sculptures, ceramics, glass or whatever other you think fits within a static visual category.

Please post photography related submissions to HT's Photo Sharing Thread, and performing arts such as music to other related threads in the Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli Entertainment, entertainers, and media section.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: HT's Artwork Sharing Thread

This is old news, but here again is that Kikaida mask I fabricated about 10 years ago as a "personal challenge"...

This is made out of "found objects" around the home, hardware store and thrift shops. The clear shell was originally a light diffuser from an industrial parking lot, the electronic "brains" are guts from a broken VCR (including blinking, dancing LEDs from a bicycle safety light), and the face is sculpted out of a thick layer of Bondo® plastic fiber auto body filler, shaped over a baseball helmet and a hockey mask. With that, it's kinda' heavy, but main thing is that it fits over my adult-sized head.

Front view...

The "ear" on the right (blue) side is the helical scan drum head from the VCR. He he. The eyes are from a pair of plastic-lens sunglasses. It took me an entire month of after-work spare time to complete this.

And a "Kamen Rider 01" mask I fabricated a year later...

You can't really see it, but the sides and back of the mask also had a clear shell where there's a visible electronic "brain", ala Kikaida-01. The white "shingled" nose, mouth and chin are fabricated out of cut and formed aluminum sheet metal, available at any hardware store. The two antenna are replacement isssue cordless phone wares (found in a clearance bin cheap at an electronics store).

In line with that Tokusatsu (live action sci-fi) theme, if you're interested, check out the amazing work of fellow HT member "Hilo Artist"!....

Layne Luna's Fine Arts Studio & Hawaiian Game Fish Mounts
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Haha, great piece, Pomai.

At first I thought, "WTF is that a modded computer case!?!?"
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Here's some self-depreciating humor for you. I'm a bit too kind to myself here. I'm more gangly and sickly looking in actuality...but it's my fantasy-world!
        You see, I just think that the Penguin is the coolest villain ever.
        This abomination came about during a night of insomnia when I had nothing better to do.

And, here's something not-so-funny. Will it ever get finished?!

No. No, it will not.

Last edited by LonLeroux; June 11, 2008, 01:21 PM.
        Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          This is old news, but here again is that Kikaida mask I fabricated about 10 years ago as a "personal challenge"...
          Those Kikaida and Kamen Rider masks are simply awesome. I did a search on this board and found that your Superferry Hat is MIA.

http://www.96seven44.com/images/supe...t_complete.jpg

Let's see that reposted here! It's a work of art.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

*snip*
            Well, now that my freshly restarted comp is showing me the pictures, I have to ask you just how the hell you did that.

Comment

That's one Cyberebral Cortex, Pomai! Both of them are great.
              Originally posted by LonLeroux View Post
              And, here's something not-so-funny. Will it ever get finished?!

No. No, it will not.
              Are you related to Mary Shelley, Lon? You could title this one "Frankenstein learns about Gin . . . the hard way".

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                Are you related to Mary Shelley, Lon? You could title this one "Frankenstein learns about Gin . . . the hard way".
                It would make sense if I was somehow related to her, wouldn't it? It would make even more sense if I was born into the Addams family...but there's no explanation for me, I'm simply weird.

Comment

That's crazy... truly a conversation piece.

Comment

Why? Because I couldn't smoke on the plane and I needed to keep my hands busy somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by LonLeroux View Post
                      You see, I just think that the Penguin is the coolest villain ever.
                      Nice. I dig the <creep>text</creep> tag. Wonder how that would show up in a browser. Are you using Illustrator's Live Trace/Live Paint tool to convert your line art? Or what program? Also, do you do Cosplay? There's some wild stuff out there in that "real" world.

Mel, here's that SuperFerry "Hat" you requested...

The surfer's board on the other side says "Kauai". lol

It's fabricated out of used posterboard and a bit of graphical work in Photoshop then printed out on an ink jet and mounted to the cardboard base using spray adhesive.

I wore all-black, Bunraku puppet style.

This "hat" is currently sitting in a supervisor's office at the HSF terminal in Honolulu Harbor. The HSF management LOVED it. Perhaps they should mass-produce these for sale at their logo shop.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Nice. I dig the <creep>text</creep> tag. Wonder how that would show up in a browser. Are you using Illustrator's Live Trace/Live Paint tool to convert your line art? Or what program? Also, do you do Cosplay? There's some wild stuff out there in that "real" world.
                        Honestly, I don't know what the hell I used. All I know is that I was over at a friend's place and I was playing around with some program on her computer. I wish I had payed more attention to what I was using because I want to be able to do it again.

I also embellished the above with the same program, which makes me want to know what it was all the more. I could toy around with it and get something out of it that's more my "style" because having only one night to play around with it, I couldn't really make it my own. The above still had a lot of work that needed to be done, but I didn't exactly have all the time in the world, just half an hour. Really, it's just as well that I don't know what program it was, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Cosplay? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!
                        Never, ever, ever, ever in a million years will I do that!
                        Last edited by LonLeroux; June 12, 2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Lon...

Try 'The GIMP' it's a free open source program that can give you the results Photoshop can:

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

http://www.gimp.org/

There's also a free version of 'Dogwaffle':

http://thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                            Lon...

Try 'The GIMP' it's a free open source program that can give you the results Photoshop can:

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

http://www.gimp.org/

There's also a free version of 'Dogwaffle':

http://thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/

WOW.

Thanks very much is all I can say!

Comment

You wanna make little animated gifs for avatars n stuff?

http://www.gifworks.com/

http://www.coffeecup.com/gif-animator/

More free art toys:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ht=open+source

Comment

Working...
                              X