R.I.P. Peggy Chun: Artist, Party Girl, Aloha Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Peggy Chun: Artist, Party Girl, Aloha Spirit

Seems Peggy Chun had quite the send off as she departed this world. Read Lee Cataluna's story today and be sure to have that box of Klenex handy. What a blessing she was to our world. And now she has fresh brushes and paints in Heaven!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: R.I.P. Peggy Chun: Artist, Party Girl, Aloha Spirit

Yes, bless her and all of her wonderful friends and caregivers. Bless her cat Boo who surely is heartbroken. I attended a lovely benefit for her at Downtown a couple months ago. Peg was there and it was so inspiring to
    see her surrounded by her loving family and friends. What a treasure she
    was and will continue to be through her work. Thanks Peggy!

Comment

What an inspiring life story. Even though Peggy didn't choose to have ASL, she left this world on her own terms (thanks to all the loving people around her).

The most beautiful thing, about Peggy's death, is the community which was born around her. I hope they continue to meet and share their love. It would be a shame to see that die.

Thanks LavalGal (and Lee) for sharing Peggy's story. I never heard of her, before this post.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Peggy's story, if it wasn't so downright glorious, would be unbearably and painfully sad. But that was so not Peggy. I have an acquaintance who was one of Peg's Legs so I'd get intermittent updates.

Imagine leaving this earth giving and receiving so much love. I think Peggy set a whole, new, very high standard for being a patient.

I agree with MJ. I hope Peg's Legs remain close friends for a lifetime. Like their patient, they have so much love to share.

RIP, Peggy. Someone really needs to do a documentary on your life.

Comment

I saw the article in both papers this morning. What an amazing story, for an amazing woman.
          I'm honored to have one of her pieces from 1992 hanging on my wall:

Now, every time I look at it I'll think about today's stories.
          R.I.P. indeed, Peggy.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

As a spouse whose husband died of ALS, I understand the dedication and sacrifices of those who love and took care of Peggy.

The afflicted are Special.

Rest In Peace Peggy Chun.

Love and ALOHA,

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna and Ohana

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
              What an inspiring life story. Even though Peggy didn't choose to have ASL, she left this world on her own terms (thanks to all the loving people around her).

The most beautiful thing, about Peggy's death, is the community which was born around her. I hope they continue to meet and share their love. It would be a shame to see that die.

Thanks LavalGal (and Lee) for sharing Peggy's story. I never heard of her, before this post.
              Credit all goes to Lee. I was just lucky enough to read it on theBus yesterday morning on my way to work and put up the link first! It's kinda hard to read the paper and wipe your tears while sitting on a bus careening down Kalanianaole Hwy at break-neck speed, LOL! (It's gonna be a BUMPY ride!) Peggy might have enjoyed something like that, watching all the people lean into the turns and slide forward when the driver hits the brakes! It's kinda funny, even before I get to work and finally to a cup of tea!

I know Lee couldn't care less what I think, but I have to say that story will stay with me a long time. It seemed as though she had a connection with Peggy.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                I have to say that story will stay with me a long time. It seemed as though she had a connection with Peggy.
                Yeah, Lee's coverage had a lot of depth and texture to it. Nice details woven in subtly. You get the feeling she was there and involved in some manner.

The Star Bulletin's coverage (at least what I could find) was detailed, but it read like late breaking news. Lee's coverage felt more like a feature / editorial. It seems she had (or made) more time to work on it.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  I saw the article in both papers this morning. What an amazing story, for an amazing woman.
                  I'm honored to have one of her pieces from 1992 hanging on my wall:
                  Now, every time I look at it I'll think about today's stories.
                  R.I.P. indeed, Peggy.
                  If I had one of her paintings I would cut out Lee’s article and put it on the back somehow.

But that’s just me.
                  "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                  Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                    If I had one of her paintings I would cut out Lee’s article and put it on the back somehow. But that’s just me.
                    Nope, it's not just you. I already printed out both stories, put 'em in plastic sleeves, and taped them on the back. (Maybe I can get Lee to sign hers?) Saved the links to the stories, too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      As a spouse whose husband died of ALS, I understand the dedication and sacrifices of those who love and took care of Peggy.
                      I saw Peggy just a couple of months ago at a public event, and it was evident that amount of dedication her caregivers had was enormous. Auntie, I did not connect the dots before that your husband died of ALS. The more I learn about you, the more impressed I am by your ongoing contributions to helping others.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Lee sheds a little light on her relationship with Peggy in yesterday's column in The Advertiser. I'm glad she did. Lee plays her cards close and mostly what she writes is what she observes and not what she experiences. That's her style and choice, I guess. I'm so opposite of that. I usually open a vein and let it all out, except for anything about my spouse who has demanded he be off limits. Most of the time he is, LOL.

Anyway, be sure to read Lee's Sunday column.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                          The more I learn about you, the more impressed I am by your ongoing contributions to helping others.
                          /agree with Amati

She's nice in person, too

Lee sheds a little light on her relationship with Peggy in yesterday's column in The Advertiser.
                          Cool. Thanks for linking it, LG.

I usually open a vein and let it all out, except for anything about my spouse who has demanded he be off limits. Most of the time he is, LOL.
                          Heh, TMI (too much infomation) is usually a problem of mines.
                          "

Comment

Lee plays her cards close and mostly what she writes is what she observes and not what she experiences.
                            Considering the life-changing experiences she's gone through herself, that she has chosen NOT to make a big deal of them is an interesting perspective for a writer to take.

(I know many of you already know her personal stories - for those who don't, I'm sorry, but I will not elaborate.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Considering the life-changing experiences she's gone through herself, that she has chosen NOT to make a big deal of them is an interesting perspective for a writer to take.

(I know many of you already know her personal stories - for those who don't, I'm sorry, but I will not elaborate.)
                              So true. Definitely in a locked box.
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X