Farewell Northwest Hawaii Times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell Northwest Hawaii Times?

Heard thru the grapvine that the March 2009 issue of the Northwest Hawaii Times (published in Washington State; Rochell delaCruz editor) will be its last. Unknown if they plan to maintain their Web site - valuable outlet and source of info for folks in WA and OR - AND Leo Lakio's ongoing music reviews and commentary.

http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com

Re: Farewell Northwest Hawaii Times?

Sad, but true.

Many factors led us to make this decision, the current state of the economy being only one of them. We had a staff meeting on February 1, but decided to keep quiet about it until the March issue hit the streets (yesterday). We had the opportunity to write our "farewell" columns, which you don't always get. (In addition, I got to run one bonus piece of humorous writing, along with my music feature.)

We had a good five-year run, and we're shutting down in good shape. The plan is to keep the website up indefinitely, as a repository of the stories and material.

Comment

That's too bad. Living in Eastern Washington, I always looked forward to reading it whenever I came over, eat at Saimin Says, etc. When it first started, I had suggested that it would gain a greater web presence. It will be missed, and I hope it will resurface in some form or fashion.

Comment

We decided not to seek anyone to take it over as is; we couldn't imagine asking anyone to put in the time and work that Rochelle (our luna ho`oponopono) & Roy did to make it fly.

If someone wants to launch something similar, under a new name, we'd all be available to assist, to advise, to contribute - but we don't think anyone out there is crazy enough. None of the present staff wants to lead the charge to expand the web presence, either, though it has been suggested that we build a web-only version.

It's nice to know that we'll be missed, though; it was an honor to write about Hawaiian music for the past five years.

Comment

Working...
        X