Zippy's Logo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zippy's Logo?

The family dined at Zippy's in Mililani last night, and when the kids' drinks arrived, they came in fancy new cups:

"New logo?" I asked. "Yep," came the reply. "Interesting," I thought.

Has Zippy's ever had a logo before? I mean, besides their recognizable, stylized name font? A simple, graphical logo has its advantages, but I wonder if it'll catch on. I thought the "Zippy's" name, with that recognizable rounded typeface, was distinct enough, and definitely consistently used.

Besides. While the "Circle Z" is sharp, it's not really distnictive. It conveys, to me at least, more an Asian tone than a "local" one. It seems more suited to a crack seed company than a restaurant. (Then again, I don't think I could've come up with anything better.)

Thoughts?

Re: Zippy's Logo?

Zorro.

(And why I have to add ten characters to the message, I don't know.)

Comment

That "Z" is so unrecognizable that if the word "Zippy" weren't right under it, I would not know even suspect it was for Zippys. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Has Zippy's ever had a logo before? I mean, besides their recognizable, stylized name font? A simple, graphical logo has its advantages, but I wonder if it'll catch on. I thought the "Zippy's" name, with that recognizable rounded typeface, was distinct enough, and definitely consistently used.
        My friend worked at the original Zippy's on S. King St. back in the 70's. He said back then they wore uniforms with a mascot logo that looked similar to this printed on it. Here's a loose rendering* we came up with based purely on his memory...

The original Zippy's logo mascot?

It was printed in a random pattern (like flowers on an Aloha shirt), along with an old-school "Zippy's" text logo in the shape of a red dot. He does remember the mascot having a "rice bowl" hair cut, a "Menehune-like" body with the arms and legs in that position, in a very simplified black and white line art illustration style as shown. He said it may have had chopsticks in one hand. Not sure about the "shaka".

Ring a bell, anyone? Let us know what more you remember of such a "mascot", and what other features about it that need to be corrected.

We looked high and low for it online, to no avail.

*Rendering by Pomai
        Last edited by Pomai; December 27, 2007, 03:07 PM.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My friend Bud Linschoten designed the Zippy's logotype and original "dot" logo. It was actually a matrix of 9 squared orange dots over the current "Zippy's" logotype. They replaced the 9 dots with the new "Zorro" logo.

He used to have the older one on his web site. (He's removed it now.)

http://www.budlinschoten.com/trademark1.html

http://www.budlinschoten.com/trademark2.html

He's done some other very recognizable Hawaii trademarks, too. (Really good designer.)

He recently moved to Hong Kong, but travels back a few times a year. I always hear from him when he's back in town.

I'll ask him about posting a copy of the original Zippy's "designer" trademark. I'm sure it followed the cartoon guy.
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

hmmmmmmm.......

The logo looks right off and you see a.........

L

and if you look MUCH closer you see the letter

N

and if you keep staring

Comment

Hmmm, that "Shewmaker Real Estate" looks like a couple of "one finger salutes".

Comment

So long as I can still get my surf pack, and one of the "special" doughnuts, I am not too concerned

That damned peanut butter, chocolate, and peanut butter cup doughnut that is being featured is perhaps, the best doughnut I have EVER had.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Wasn't Zippy's original logo written in orange with several round orange circles?
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    My friend worked at the original Zippy's on S. King St. back in the 70's. He said back then they wore uniforms with a mascot logo that looked similar to this printed on it. Here's a loose rendering* we came up with based purely on his memory...[/SIZE][/I]
                    If that sketch was based "purely on memory," that's looks pretty good indeed!

I had one of those Kikaida t-shirts that Zippy's was giving away. It had the old Zippy's logo and mascot. The only thing I would say is that the face of the boy looked more Beetle Bailey-ish, with Dennis the Menace-style hair that covered the eyes.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Ring a bell, anyone? Let us know what more you remember of such a "mascot", and what other features about it that need to be corrected.

We looked high and low for it online, to no avail.

*Rendering by Pomai
                      I recall this logo...nice drawing! The 'boy' did have a 70's-style haircut, with a part on his forehead and a cowlick. He wore a lei, but I'm pretty sure he had shorts on instead of a malo, and the shaka was there, too. However, there may have been a few iterations of this character before it was changed to the dots.

There was a jingle, too (but later): "Zip into Zippy's, Zip into Zippy's, Zip into Zippy's 'cause there more for you to like!"

Comment

I must have been very ignorant back then as a teenager. I can't for the life of me remember that logo or mascot. But then again I hung around east Honolulu where Jolly Roger's was my hangout.

As for Zippy's current logo, I think it sucks big time as it doesn't look like a "Z" to me but more like a "7" and an "L" morphed together for some kind of oriental restaurant. I cannot imagine Zippy's paid someone to come up with that logo design.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I heard from Bud. He still lives here, but travels there several times a year for projects.

He sent me a copy of his version of the Zippy's logo:

Blaine

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                          My friend Bud Linschoten designed the Zippy's logotype and original "dot" logo. It was actually a matrix of 9 squared orange dots over the current "Zippy's" logotype. They replaced the 9 dots with the new "Zorro" logo.

He used to have the older one on his web site. (He's removed it now.)

http://www.budlinschoten.com/trademark1.html

http://www.budlinschoten.com/trademark2.html

He's done some other very recognizable Hawaii trademarks, too. (Really good designer.)

He is part-time in Hong Kong, but travels back a few times a year. I always hear from him when he's back in town.

I'll ask him about posting a copy of the original Zippy's "designer" trademark. I'm sure it followed the cartoon guy.

Comment

Grrr! Can't post logo! Trying again. Here's another:

Comment

Yes I remember the local cartoon character with the bowl haircut & tongue sticking out.

I wonder if he is realated to Primo & Howzit?

Comment

Working...
                              X