Vancouver 2010 Winter Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver 2010 Winter Games

The flame has made its home in Vancouver; the trek from Greece is logged in this pictorial essay.

Love the different methods of transport and the combinations of cultures used to move the flame; I'm sure this happens each time, but I liked this particular story.

Anyone headed that way next year?

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Games

Is the face and body for the Olympics, Lindsey Vonn too injured to compete?

Comment

Was it necessary for The Honolulu Advertiser to put the Olympian's photo just before he died on the cover of today's sports page?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Was it necessary for The Honolulu Advertiser to put the Olympian's photo just before he died on the cover of today's sports page?
        I believe he was dead on impact, but I know that's not your point. I am not offended by seeing a dead person, but I can understand that some other people might be, so I am neutral about the picture in the HA.

I think the real story here is the poorly designed and inherently unsafe Sledding Center at Whistler. Steel Girders three feet from the track? People going 100 mph + on their backsides? That was an accident waiting to happen. The design of this "world class" facility is irresponsible and incompetent.

Fortunately I don't believe the young man suffered since death was instantaneous and perhaps he enjoyed the thrill of a lifetime just before he died. I can think of worse ways to check out.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm not really a fan of winter sports but am enjoying these games (except for that silly biathalon). And the Opening Ceremonies were spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            I believe he was dead on impact, but I know that's not your point. I am not offended by seeing a dead person, but I can understand that some other people might be, so I am neutral about the picture in the HA.
            The photo had a close-up of his face that you could see his eyes just moments before his death.

Comment

I think the real story here is the poorly designed and inherently unsafe Sledding Center at Whistler. Steel Girders three feet from the track? People going 100 mph + on their backsides? That was an accident waiting to happen. The design of this "world class" facility is irresponsible and incompetent.
              The International Luge Federation is blaming driver error for the tragedy rather than the course design.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

oops...

Double fault - http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...yhoo&type=lgns
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  The photo had a close-up of his face that you could see his eyes just moments before his death.
                  That would piss me off beyond belief if that'd been my husband plastered on the front pages all over the world at the moment of his death. F'ing press went too far this time. Is nothing sacred anymore? That is NOT what our founding fathers made the 1st amendment for. Read the history books.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Fortunately I don't believe the young man suffered since death was instantaneous and perhaps he enjoyed the thrill of a lifetime just before he died. I can think of worse ways to check out.
                    Agreed. I dont have any aversion to photos taken of him just before he died. IMO, he was doing fine, and enjoying life, while competing in his sport of choice. Yay for him, altho the result was unfortunately tragic. Very sad, but as far as photos, who can say whats sacred anymore anywayzzzzz
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

What was the most memorable moment of the 2010 Winter Olympics?
                      My choice would be the figure skater who won a bronze medal after her mother passed away.

Comment

My favorite moment was when Simon Amman won the first gold of the games in Ski Jumping.

I am partial to ski jumping though......
                        Expect me when you see me.....

Comment

Watch this, and be prepared to be shocked!

Amazing, what showmanship!! This skater, arguably, could be considered nuts, but whatever, what an imaginative entertainer!! I dig this guy!
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

That was a great routine. I gave it to him before I realized he was spoofing.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I thought the most exciting event was the USA-Canada hockey game. I really wanted Canada to win because it means so much more to Canadians than it would have to us.

And the young Korean woman who took the Gold in figure skating was just breathtaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X