People Perturbed by Peacock Poo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Perturbed by Peacock Poo

Pesky peacocks elude the law, reports the Honolulu Advertiser. After the media inspired/covered public outrage over the death-by-archery peacock elimination strategy at Waimea Valley Audubon Center, someone apparently clued them into the fact that these giant, showy fowl are on the prowl all over... Mililani, Kahalu'u, McCully...

There's no law against them. The Humane Society won't take them. The DLNR wants no part of them, and cops aren't prepared to do anything about them, either (unless, you know, they threaten someone). So they roam free.

"Scratching cars, damaging chrome parts of motorcycles, damaging plants and, last but not least, the poop it left behind was just awful," laments McCully resident Eric Yamanaka.

Anyone got peacock encounters to report? The fact that they roam free inside the Honolulu Zoo freaks my wife out enough as it is...

Re: People Perturbed by Peacock Poo

I saw a peacock at the McCully Zippy's parking lot last week. The bird was just walking around near the trash bin next to the Zippy's office building. I thought it was kind of strange to see a peacock just roaming free in a parking lot.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Interesting that they're all the way over in Mililani - those ones probably didn't come from the Zoo. Maybe they flew over the Wai'anae mountains from Waimea Valley or Mākaha.

Comment

I house-sat for a friend in Palolo Valley back in 1986; one of my chores was to feed his two peacocks. They were big aggressive birds, and I didn't think much of them. I went back out to the house for a few months off/on in 1998 to do some work, and they were gone, but I neglected to ask what had happened to them. Maybe I don't want to know.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Jesus H. Christ. I am never leaving the house again. I hate peacocks. They scare the crap out of me.

Comment

You do know that there are wild peacocks in the hills above Mokulē'ia? There's an area there called Peacock Flats, above the Dillingham Airfield.

Comment

"I saw a peacock at the McCully Zippy's parking lot last week."

HA!!!

They're on their way to Ala Moana Beach Park.

I'd rather have them than that plague of European pigeons down there now. Helped along, of course, by some goofy old man who arrives every afternoon with two huge bags of bird food.

Never mind the sign saying you could be fined, go to jail, or both, for feeding the birds in the park. (I feed birds myself, all over town, but this man goes too far ... share a sandwich, don't bring that much food and encourage an unhealthy overpopulation.)

Peacocks are such incredibly beautiful birds, it's difficult to comprehend why anyone would dislike them. Well .... unless you were trying to sleep during the night and they were making their ear-shattering sounds.

Comment

Oh great a rumble between the peacocks and the herons.

Comment

Helen said:

"Oh great a rumble between the peacocks and the herons."

Keep your camera ready!

Comment

Well the herons tend to soo away the other birds in the park that happen to hang around the banks of the pond.

Comment

Tuesday's (8/10/04) Star-Bulletin had Charles Memminger chiming in on the peafowl situation and of professional archers in Hawaii.

Comment

I have no problems with peacocks. But on the subject of poo, anyone have a good way of getting rid of geckos?? Or at least the gecko doo doo?

Comment

Here's a link to the Memminger piece.
                          Attorney Earle Partington points out that what we are actually talking about here are "peafowl." Peacocks and peahens are male and female peafowl. To refer to all peafowl as "peacocks" is "inaccurate and sexist," Partington says.

Comment

Originally posted by DocKalani
                            I have no problems with peacocks. But on the subject of poo, anyone have a good way of getting rid of geckos?? Or at least the gecko doo doo?
                            Now why would you ever want to do that? Geckos are cute and their nighttime chirping is a lullaby to the ears. Plus, they eat your bugs. Whatta deal!

But if you actually do want to get rid of your geckos, you've got to get to get rid of their food supply. If you keep your place clean of bugs, the geckos will go elsewhere in search of a meal.

Comment

Peacocks in the news again:

Possible killings upset pro-peacock groups

Pea-foul! The paring of Makaha Valley peacocks angers some

Comment

Working...
                              X