Military bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military bases?

Can someone that lived on one come back after years and years just to *trip* down memory lane? I want to see Schofield again soooooo bad!!!
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: Military bases?

"Can someone that lived on one come back after years and years just to *trip* down memory lane? I want to see Schofield again soooooo bad!!!"

Hi there! I shop Schofield Commissary every Saturday, and it is a new commissary since you were here, I am guessing, for it isn't even eight yrs. old yet, if I have my numbers right. I don't know the policy for letting visitors on base, if they aren't going to see someone by name, or of course if you have an ID card, C'MON BACK!

Schofield is just about being rebuilt, with so many new buildings, and older ones being refurbished inside and out. It is really looking great. Officer housing isn't changed, but is upkept looking really nice. I hope you get the visit back here, that you long for.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

OMG!!! I lived at 1867 B Ekaha Circle, is it still there? True, I probably wouldnt recognize anything. No cards or much of anything as proof i was there. Getting to know someone that could let me on as a visitor is likely my only hope.

Comment

OMG!!! I lived at 1867 B Ekaha Circle, is it still there? True, I probably wouldnt recognize anything. No cards or much of anything as proof i was there. Getting to know someone that could let me on as a visitor is likely my only hope."

Hi there! I can't guarantee you that I can drive the whole base Saturday, looking for that address, but I sure can write the addy down, and look for it sometime, and honestly, I will try. HEY!! I could take the digital camera with me and snap a photo for you. Now if someone asks me what the heck I am doing, back me up, will ya? LOL...I need a base map, cuz I don't recognize that street name. Was it near the old commissary, or on-back, towards what I would call the back of the base?

Comment

Aw man, I have no clue! All know is I could *tour* the base on my trusty little ten speed. There were sidewalks running behind the housing and maybe a mile or less away, there was this deeeeeep gully. I remember going to the PX, the library, this huge pool somewhere but other street names, no idea. I did however put in that address in a reverse look up and found that as of 01, there was still an 1867 because *A* came up. It was a circle/cul de sac. Do you live on base? I did so much babysitting for the military families who of course were away from theirs and therefore didnt have granny or aunty to sit for them but other than our address and the music i liked, my memory is clouded my memories of my first *love*, a soldier whose family lived next door, lol. I'm pitiful.

Comment

P.S. I think i would have to say it was toward the back of the base maybe cuz we werent real far away from this road that led out to Kole Kole Pass.

Comment

Here's a Yahoo Map to that street address.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

LOL HI again, no, you aren't pitiful, as the memories are cool, and you were obviously very young then. I just read that it was near '81 that you lived here. No, I don't live on base. I live central Oahu, and the drive to base is easy, and of course saves SO much money doing all the shopping I can there. Prices here are absurd! If you don't get milk at walmart, you can pay EIGHT dollars for a gallon of milk.

I will post again if I find the street. You mention a gully, and I do recall the road going into base housing area going lower, and having something like that, sure. Will let you know if I have any luck. I am not the shy type, and if I find the address you lived at, I can knock on the door, tell them what I am doing, and if they mind if I snap a photo. Most people will understand, especially also being military.

Comment

So you are military? I'm confused, I guess I thought you would have to live in housing if you were but it seems like i might recall some people not doing so for thinking the provided housing was *so terrible* and they did have units were in bad need of re doing but ours was nice. If you are in the middle of the circle on Ekaha in order to get most of the building itself, I doubt anyone would ask ?'s Dont go out of your way!!!
                  Dang, I appreciate this sooooo much!!!!
                  If I thought Hawaii had any living expenses programs, I'd pack the kids and I up and come back but for now, it'll have to be coming for the memories, if even that.
                  Do you mind if i ask your age? Yes, I was 12, 13, and 14 then. If the phone directory covers the whole island, look up LUSK and give me the numbers if you would????

Comment

Hi again,

I am a 47yr. old housewife, & mother of a 17yr. old & a 20yr. old, as of this & next month. (their birthdays) My hubby & I married in '80, when he was just out of school in the Navy, & he retired Navy in late '93. (he had done 7yrs. in the Marines, for the total of at least 20yrs. needed to retire military.) He is a govt. contractor & we've lived in Hawaii since shortly after his retirement, so I have, of course, retired benefits, unlimited.

No, no one has to live on base. We never did, even when he was low rank, but chose to live off base, passing up that free water and electric, darnit. There are tons of military that live off-base, here. It is true some base housing is awful. When we first married, it was so small in Northern CA. that our corner sofa group would not FIT in the livingroom of tiny base housing. Here, they are building lots of new housing on just about all areas of the bases, and much of it is still pretty fine looking, on Schofield, with tons of new high-rise barracks for the singles, or couples.

Since you have kids, you are wise to just cherish the memories and not head back here unless you are worth a lot of money, or know you can make a lot, while here. A salary of 100K a yr. here, is nothing to brag about, with rent, houses to buy, electricity and all things costing sooo much. we have military shopping which is HALF what groceries are off-base, I kid you not, and I still am amazed at what it costs in total, to live here. remember, they tax you to death here! They have the nerve to tax groceries off-base, and even MEDICAL care, plus ten-percent state income tax! I am native Texan, where there is NO state income tax, and they do NOT tax food, or medical, makes a huge difference.

I won't go out of my way, as you say, only cuz I am a busy mom and wife, well you know life these days, we're all rushed to keep up, but it would be nice if I could find the street.

OH! the name "Lusk" doesn't come up, in the "Leeward/Central" Oahu white pages. I can check the huge island-wide white pages when I get the new one. I may have thrown the old one away already.

Hope this helps you some.
                    Last edited by Karen; August 18, 2004, 11:30 AM.

Comment

10% state income tax??? Highest bracket is 9% and that is for those making over $40,000/yr. Most military folks should be able to get under that with deductions and all. Hawaii excise tax is 4%! A bargain compared to California's 7.75 sales tax! Can't compare either to Texas, but Hawaii does not tax military retirement. Plus Hawaii's property taxes are below the national average, and half what they are in California. If you can restrict your shopping to the Exchanges and Commissarys, you can do fine in Hawaii.

Comment

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Just for the heck of knowing, do they even have government housing help or foodstamps?
                          Anywho, its only a dream as i know how unrealistic it would be for me to move the boys there with me especially. But coming there for a week or so IS going to happen!!
                          Thanks so much Karen for you help, you are a godsend!! My email is thankmel8r@hotmail.com but even tho this board is on the real quiet side, i will still be checking in a bit.
                          HUGS!!!

Comment

Hi there!

I have lived here more than ten yrs, and yes, our CPA did say ten percent once, but how many years ago was that? not sure..but even if nine percent, DANG that's still pretty bad, and the nerve, to tax FOOD and medical! I don't think CA. taxes those, and we did live there 13yrs., before moving here.

Right, they don't tax our military retirement, and that is a little blessing, but all said and done, it costs WAY too much to live here, unless one has family here, and then, home is where the heart is! Those that can't buy a house here are eaten up in taxes, as I know cuz we have only owned a home a tad more than two years, of our more than ten years here. This last tax season, we actually got money back for the first time, living here.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrinkma
                              Just my 2 cents
                              I appreciated your "two cents." Nice to meet ya, and please reply to my posts anytime, as this is what makes this place fun, and I learn a lot. thanks~

Comment

Working...
                              X