Hallo, ween!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallo, ween!

well, gang, it's almost Halloween and time to dust off the ol misconceptions. and here to help us do it is mistah Dicky Hamada.

Ricardo, as you may (prolly not) recall, published an article on halloween a while ago in da Midweek, slamming it, claiming there's a:

"Dark Side of Trick or Treat"

Rick Hamada's piece making public his prejudicial disdain for Halloween smacks of religious intolerance and fanaticism.

Stating that all "Christians" should be wary and fearful of the celebration of Halloween implies the supposed superiority of his religion over all others.

"My god is the only true god. And if you don't believe me, my god will kill you and your god."

This is dangerous, troublesome religious zealotism; particularly in a South Pacific land where polytheism "ruled" for ages, until the fairly recent introduction of "Christianity" in 1820. I believe more respect for the traditions that have antedated the one religion Hamada subscribes to, is in order.

Much of the negative, evil, demonic perspective he gives the original Halloween and the Druidic traditions is the result of "defamation" and propaganda spread by the Christian church to discredit any other "false gods" religion that may threaten the domination and influence of Christianity. After all, any "cult" perceived to be a threat to the more dominant "cult" will be painted over to appear distasteful, wrong, false and downright evil.

Misconceptions, misinformation and falsity becomes gospel truth if it is repeated enough to the "true believers" and through the years, many have been victim of the propaganda of "Christianity," painting a veneer and discrediting anything having to do with "false idols." It is a shame many supposed thinking adults fall into the path of the lemmings.

Reminds one of redneck tendencies wherein you hate and revile anything that one does not understand, and you allow the church or a particular belief system to make up your mind for you.

Students of comparative religions have heard these sentiments against Halloween and the like, often through the years and see it for what it is; the uninformed emotional reaction from someone not conversant with history and not fully confident with their internal spiritual, philosophical or religious leanings, principles, and beliefs. I wish Mr. Hamada "gods' speed" in his search for the truth (which I might remind him, is a perpetual journey).

Re: Hallo, ween!

Originally posted by kimo55
    well, gang, it's almost Halloween and time to dust off the ol misconceptions. and here to help us do it is mistah Dicky Hamada.
    Don't forget Hollywood! I think they of all entities has misguided everyone of the authentic teachings and preachings of religions,cults and beliefs. Christianity as a whole isn't this evil being in the eyes of athiests, just those who do not understand the meaning of it's intent. Of all those who don't understand Christianity are those who demean it and those who preach from the hip, in either case both are extremes and both shouldn't be tolerated.

You talk of the Christian Church as one big entity. Mind you that there are Christians who do believe in honoring another's faith or lack of one just as there are athiests who could care less what Rick Hamada says.

One thing I do agree is that Rick didn't do his homework on this Wiccan faith that became Halloween as we know it. But please try to refrain from teasing. His name is not Dicky and as an adult you really should be a bit more mature about name-calling.

Reminds me of this morning at a breakfast buffet in Kona. This elderly haole woman asked if it was alright if she cut into the buffet line. The very local wahine biker told her, "was it alright to cut when you was a kid?" The haole woman cut anyway with a sneer to the local woman.

We're adults here, no need to lower our standards (or age level) to teasing.

And since when is the truth a perpetual journey? What journal told you that? Remember philosophy is just an opinion.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      ...just as there are athiests who could care less what Rick Hamada says.
      i assume you mean;

"couldn't care less..."
      And since when is the truth a perpetual journey? What journal told you that? Remember philosophy is just an opinion.
      hopefully, the more we learn, the more we learn that we don't know so much.
      and we continue learning.
      hopefully.

sad is the day when an in-duh-vidual sez;

"well, that's all i need to know. I'm full!"

Don't forget Hollywood! I think they of all entities has misguided everyone of the authentic teachings and preachings of religions,cults and beliefs.
      only to those that believe Hollywood is offering the truth rather than its true fooder;
      entertainment and escapism...

Christianity as a whole isn't this evil being in the eyes of athiests, just those who do not understand the meaning of it's intent. Of all those who don't understand Christianity are those who demean it and those who preach from the hip, in either case both are extremes and both shouldn't be tolerated. You talk of the Christian Church as one big entity.
      well , yes, I agree christianity is a hole and I agree of course that there are intelligent christians that understand other perspectives.
      but I, for the sake of making the point was using a generalization, hoping the reader understood the intelligent synoptic implication.

da says. One thing I do agree is that Rick didn't do his homework on this Wiccan faith that became Halloween as we know it. But please try to refrain from teasing. His name is not Dicky and as an adult you really should be a bit more mature about name-calling.
      it is immature to asume "dicky" is childish name calling.

That is a colloquialism. a nickname of Richard.
      ok then.
      here;
      Let me do your home work further:
      "But please try to refrain from teasing. His name is not Ricardo and as an adult you really should be a bit more mature about racist name-calling"

oh, mea culpa. I am guilty of using other names than his exact chosen published one, and guilty of taking poetic licence to make my point.

It is now, considered "un-PC" to make one's point...

One thing I do agree is that Rick didn't do his homework on this Wiccan faith that became Halloween as we know it.
      it is NOT simply a case of one hour's worth of "homework" let's try to be mature about this thing.
      "We're adults here, no need to lower our standards (or age level) to" grade school level similes...

This is one "man's" perspective based on assummedly years of thought and discussion on the subject. If not, well, one really shouldn't spout out in such a dogmatic fashion.

...as an adult you really should be a bit more mature about name-calling. The haole woman cut anyway with a sneer to the local woman.
      I resent the implication of being equated with a 'haole woman' who cuts in with a sneer in front of locals.

I resent that heavily.
      emphatically.
      most assuredly.
      indubitably.
      absolutely.

(do i make myself clear? or does craigwatanabe require more clarification or need more assurance?)

But please try to refrain from teasing. His name is not Dicky and as an adult you really should be a bit more mature about name-calling.
      "teasing...."

jay zeuz kee rist. had no idea we use that term anymore. not for 3 or four decades...
      ok.
      Dickey poo is a poopy head!
      nanny nanny boo boo!

Comment

I'm not quite sure where the haole lady analogy fits, either, but I think I see Craig's point. It's not so much a matter of "PC" to me as it is effective debate. No way would I say someone's committing some moral wrong by calling Rick "Dicky" or "Ricardo." But the gist of the argument would be stronger without it.

Of course, I haven't always been successful in dropping "Dubya" out of my political vocabulary... sometimes it's difficult to resist the little jab.

I didn't catch the Rick Hamada piece, but essentially, I agree, Kimo. After taking such a strong stand against a pop culture phenomenon that most people see merely as an opportunity for mirth (and cavities), I can only imagine there will be (or has been) similar condemnations of "Harry Potter" for fostering Satanism and the Easter Bunny for blaspheming the One True Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          No way would I say someone's committing some moral wrong by calling Rick "Dicky" or "Ricardo." But the gist of the argument would be stronger without it.
          here's the implication.

Little Dickey, hangin' his other pals, Skooter and Biff, are young 'uns not quite worldly enough to discuss something as involved as Halloween and its history and place in contemporary society, being constituted as it is of thousands of years of developing and ever evolving cross cultures, religions and philosophies.
          Little Dickey should not make fun of that which he has no understanding.
          It 's just too heavy a subject for such a young mind.
          Originally posted by pzarquon
          I'm not quite sure where the haole lady analogy fits,.
          I am definitely unsure of where or how the haole lady analogy fits in.

Comment

Nothing to do with being haole, everything to do with being childish. Kimo55 still want to call Rick (Richard) by names other than what he would feel comfortable with. To anyone that would be considered dishonoring one's name, in otherwords, teasing Kimo55. I'm sorry about the Recardo thing.

And yes it is as basic as homework. Rick failed to fully understand another's faith and for that he is very guilty of especially since his radio forum can be influencing to many and heard by many more. Had he simply researched the topic of Halloween and it's origins, he wouldn't have come up with his remarks. And I never said One Hour of homework.

I used to think that way about Halloween as a "Christian". But when a friend of mine told me she was a practicing Wiccan, I wanted to understand their religion better. After being educated by her and researching her beliefs, I started to understand her situation with today's modern interpretation of what her religion has become to represent.

I am finding the truth to my own ignorance to Christianity by understanding other religions and beliefs. I used to be a Buddhist too but only because my parents were.

We are all ignorant to some extent. You (Kimo55) think you are correct in your statements just as Rick does. You are probably correct in what you say about Rick's views on Halloween but as you stated about the truth being eternal, how can we believe what you are saying is the truth, if the path to it will never end. It's simply your own opinion based on your interpretation of what is presented as current fact.

I side with you in regards to Rick Hamada's statements about this subject, however I don't believe one should add teasing as a way to mock his ignorance on the subject. That's totally unnecessary.

The haole and local wahines were described only because those were the two individuals in question. The point that you failed to see was on maturity, the issue I'm focusing on.

Kimo55 let me put it to you simply...don't tease. Whether the person in question was right or wrong, teasing a person is not the right thing to do. Accept it. And it's dangerous to assume as you did twice in your posting
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 7, 2004, 10:46 AM. Reason: changing "you" to "Kimo55"

Comment

Kimo55 let me put it to you simply...don't tease. Whether the person in question was right or wrong, teasing a person is not the right thing to do. Accept it. And it's dangerous to assume as you did twice in your posting
              got it.
              apologies and withdrawn..
              mahalos!

Comment

I just want to make a public apology to Kimo55. I'm Sorry for blasting your integrity on this board. Right or wrong, harsh statements belong in private messages and not in a public forum such as here.

My lack of sincerity only proves I'm as ignorant as the person I point my crooked finger at and for that I speak with humility towards those I offended.

Teasing is very sensitive to me and whether it be directed at me or someone else. No one deserves to be taunted for their ignorance, they need to be educated in a positive way. This board allows for that, unfortunately it also allows for some very intense debate that can get very personal.

On this topic of Halloween, for me it's a day of treats for my kids just as Christmas is simply a day off for most Athiests. I don't have a problem with that especially since Jesus' birthday isn't even on 12/25/0000 as most assume. My Wiccan friend doesn't have a problem dishing candy out on Halloween either. We're both adults and can see past the ignorance that prevails.

The fact about modern day Halloween is that it's a time for most parents to justify in the indulgance of sweets because we have to test every piece of candy to make sure it's safe for our keiki! (Uh huh!)

So to summarize this posting, Kimo55 I'm sorry for mocking your integrity in public, you have my respect.

Craig Watanabe
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 7, 2004, 12:21 PM. Reason: christmas as a day off

Comment

I just want to make a public apology to Kimo55. I'm Sorry for blasting your integrity on this board. Right or wrong, harsh statements belong in private messages and not in a public forum such as here.
                  You da man!
                  Mahalos fo dat!
                  after all; no harm meant, no harm done!

On this topic of Halloween, I don't have a problem with that especially since Jesus' birthday isn't even on 12/25/0000 as most assume. My Wiccan friend doesn't have a problem dishing candy out on Halloween either. We're both adults and can see past the ignorance that prevails.

rite!
                  Christ was not born on December 25th. However, many claim this day is as good as any other to celebrate the birth of Jesus. I find it intriguing and a telling clue to so much more, that Dec 25 is originally a pagan celebration called Saturnalia which commemorated the birth of the sun god.

Whoa Dogies!
                  (do the words 'essene', '"gnostic", "druid" maybe come to mind?)

Jesus was born on the 1st day of the Feast of Tabernacles. (September) In the year 5 B.C.
                  So. To take an extreme or iconoclastic provoking stance, (which I never do...) one may be tempted to query;
                  "if... Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on Dec 25, and don't refute this holiday, when scholars tell us Jesus was actually born on September 1, 5 BC, what other biblical commonalities or basic modern christian tenets can be found to be... shall we say; inaccurate?"
                  Last edited by kimo55; September 7, 2004, 01:30 PM. Reason: elucidation, clarification , elaboration

Comment

Isn't it Mother Mary who was born on September 1 and not Jesus Christ?

Most of those who celebrate Halloween dont' realize the "religious" aspects of the holiday. Rather it's a day to get free candy.

It's a funny thread no dobut.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
                      Isn't it Mother Mary who was born on September 1 and not Jesus Christ?
                      they both were. that's where the "miracle' comes from.

Most of those who celebrate Halloween dont' realize the "religious" aspects of the holiday. Rather it's a day to get free candy.
                      just as most of the population have not an inkling of the esoteric (hidden, original) meanings of most everything they take for granted nowadays:
                      our calendar, common words, holidays, rituals, their own religion, habits, superstitions....

Comment

political affiliations...Okay I'll shut up already!

Comment

http://christianity.about.com/librar...halloweenc.htm

Samhain and Hallow's Eve and All Saints Day. yah..

Comment

"Right or wrong, harsh statements belong in private messages and not in a public forum such as here."

Naw. I've heard complaints about this place being too "tame".

Comment

^ yah, so far i haven't seen people swearing at each other for 6 posts in a row.. hah. imel's too good a moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X