Ftp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftp

I'm puzzled. I'm using the same FTP program I have been using for years (WS FTP95 LE), but suddenly I can't access my server. I'm using the same password/userid and I'm now using ftp.domain.com rather than the actual IP address, but that's the only change (the IP address changed, so I switched to the ftp.domain one). The FTP program gives me an alarm telling me my connection to 0.0.0.0:21 is not available. Well, yeah. That's a meaningless address, and try as I might I can't get it to access the proper one.

Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Ftp

Yeukh.

Well, I use whatever ftp (UNIX) program lava.net offers and it hasn't failed me yet (isn't that a rock song?)

People send me jpg files attached to email and I save them to lava.net but quickly have to shift them elsewhere since I can't afford the space limitations of lava.net.

Despite the difficulties, just remember how much smarter you are than people who don't know anything except Netscape and MSIE.

Comment

If the IP address changed, than the DNS propogation for the new location of 'ftp.site.com' might not be complete. It might be better to use the new IP address itself (if you've got it). Another possibility is, with the changeover, the new server might be limited only to SFTP (Secure FTP) sessions, rebuffing any flat FTP requests. Finally, since you say you're using WS_FTP, you might just have accidentally saved null values in your "saved session" for your site, in which case, I'd click "New..." instead and enter everything in from scratch.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Albert
      People send me jpg files attached to email and I save them to lava.net but quickly have to shift them elsewhere since I can't afford the space limitations of lava.net.
      Remember, Albert, you've always got a home at HawaiiStories if you need it! Photo gallery included...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        If the IP address changed, than the DNS propogation for the new location of 'ftp.site.com' might not be complete. It might be better to use the new IP address itself (if you've got it).
        Well, except my host (who's a friend, not an anonymous company) can connect with ftp.domain.com, and I can't connect that way or with the new numbers.

Another possibility is, with the changeover, the new server might be limited only to SFTP (Secure FTP) sessions, rebuffing any flat FTP requests.
        See above.

Finally, since you say you're using WS_FTP, you might just have accidentally saved null values in your "saved session" for your site, in which case, I'd click "New..." instead and enter everything in from scratch.
        I've tried that with a new profile, too. Puzzling. I'm beginning to think the WS_FTP program has given up the ghost or gotten corrupted somehow, and I'll have to either pay for WS_FTP Home/Pro or go to another freebie like Core FTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
          Well, except my host (who's a friend, not an anonymous company) can connect with ftp.domain.com, and I can't connect that way or with the new numbers.
          Can you ping the addresses? Might help determine if it's just FTP that's not talking, or if something between your PC and the remote machine is making trouble.

I'll have to either pay for WS_FTP Home/Pro or go to another freebie like Core FTP.
          I use FileZilla at home (though my office actually paid for WS_FTP Pro, which is pretty neat for commercial software).

Comment

Yeah, I can ping (ftp ftp.linkmeister.com). Also, if I try Eudora or Ipswitch (two of the pre-loaded ftp sites in WS_FTP95 LE) I can connect using the anonymous userid and default e-mail password. That implies to me that there's nothing wrong with the program but that there's something screwy with the server.

Thanks for the pointer to Filezilla; I'm gonna hold off on doing anything drastic like switching programs till my host and I can further discuss the password/server issues. Trouble is, she's in York, England, so the time zones get us.

You're welcome to try pinging it too, of course; that might add some insight to this situation.
            Last edited by Linkmeister; September 12, 2004, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Another possibility is, with the changeover, the new server might be limited only to SFTP (Secure FTP) sessions, rebuffing any flat FTP requests. Finally, since you say you're using WS_FTP, you might just have accidentally saved null values in your "saved session" for your site, in which case, I'd click "New..." instead and enter everything in from scratch.
              If a service was going to switch to SFTP only they would at least inform their userbase of the switch ahead of time. But I suspect this would be the most likey cause.

Comment

Have you at least tried establishing an FTP connection with another program? Do you think that with the switchover, there was some kind of password reset? I know that's a longshot, but we've all heard sillier stories. Or, just as unlikely but still possible, could there have been some kind of permissions reset?
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yeah, I did try. I managed to connect to Eudora and to Ipswitch using the "anonymous" form of connection. I downloaded FTP Explorer and tried it; I connected with no trouble. It's in the server somewhere.

It remains a puzzle, but at least now I can upload/download again if required. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                  X