The Debates: Domestic Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Debates: Domestic Policy

Today's debate in Tempe, Arizona between George W. Bush and John F. Kerry is the third and final match-up between the incumbent and the challenger in this hotly-contested election year. Domestic issues are supposed to take center stage, although we can expect both sides to return reliably to set-in-stone talking points on Iraq.

Anyone watching or listening? Any thoughts? Have the debates made any difference in who you'll vote for, or how you feel about the person who'll get your vote?
    George W. Bush
    14.29%
    John F. Kerry
    85.71%
    Draw
    0.00%

Re: The Debates: Domestic Policy

I'm multi-tasking. I've got the debate on HPR and I'm switching between Fox and FSNW2 for Yankees-Red Sox and Astros-Cards (both the latter are muted...I'm not that good!
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Bahahaha! The first thing that struck me was "uh oh. They had a wardrobe malfunction!" Both were wearing dark suits, white shirts, red ties with polka dots and an American flag pin placed in exactly the same place on the same lapel! This could cause a domestic crisis! Where were their handlers? Didn't they learn from the frock fracas of the first debate????

Overall, I think Kerry got his licks in and Dubya just couldn't resist smirking. I couldn't believe when Dubya was asked about the flu vaccine shortage that he said it wasn't relevant to the Administration's health policy. EXSQUEEZE me???? I rant at this because I studied health policy, have a Master's degree in this stuff and work for one of those hated HMO's. Our health care policies suck, the nation is getting older (and sicker), Medicare and Social Security are in serious trouble, our troops are stretched too thinly and all Dubya could do was smirk. Jeez.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I will admit that the blogosphere is largely inhabited by technically-oriented people, but still...the line that got me and a whole bunch of others over at Political Animal equally angry was GWB's suggestion that a community college was a good place for all those outsourced folks to go to get retrained.

I heard him say that and thought "Right. Me and my M.S. in Comp. Sci. (I'm speaking figuratively here) are gonna go right out and get an associate degree in...what? Auto mechanics?"

It tells me he's still thinking of the old economy, where the outsourced jobs belong to the plant workers on the assembly line. Not about the 45-50 year old manager or programmer (I'm no longer speaking figuratively) who's been replaced by a guy in Bangalore for half the wages. Out of touch? You betcha.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

How can someone who has had EVERYTHING handed to him be sensitive to other people's struggles? Just look at the psuedo-sychophants he surrounds himself with who are without scruples...Cheney, Rumsy et al. Anyway, this is something that has bothered me since he first ran for office and it still bothers me today. Needless to say, I never voted for him before and I still won't vote for him now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a Kerry fan myself but at least he doesn't give me the willies AND he seems to be the lesser of two evils.
          He leo wale no...

Comment

The strategy "experts" on both sides seem utterly convinced that the way to go is repeat, repeat, repeat ...

It seems to me they also underestimate the intelligence of their audience. Maybe this makes some sense with the electorate as a whole, but people who took the time to follow these three debates deserved more.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
              The strategy "experts" on both sides seem utterly convinced that the way to go is repeat, repeat, repeat ...

It seems to me they also underestimate the intelligence of their audience. Maybe this makes some sense with the electorate as a whole, but people who took the time to follow these three debates deserved more.
              Totally agree with ya there.
              He leo wale no...

Comment

I found it humorous that in response to a question on raising minimum wage,
                Bush talks about education and his No Child Left Behind program. And these
                topics have what to do with jobs and minimum wage?

Kalihi Boy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                  I found it humorous that in response to a question on raising minimum wage,
                  Bush talks about education and his No Child Left Behind program. And these
                  topics have what to do with jobs and minimum wage?

Kalihi Boy
                  Eh Kalihi Boy. You wen go move from Makiki anden? You know, dat could make one good story! "MakikiBoy moves to Kalihi: Takes entire neighborhood with him"

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Kalihi I have found is very noisy, at least in Makiki there are high rises to buff some of the noises around. Oh well home is home, no matter where you live.

I would like one day to be called Kauai Boy though. >;-0

Kalihi Boy

Comment

Working...
                    X