Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why to vote Republican this time.......

I know many people in Hawaii disagree with George W. Bush on social issues. They may disagree on abortion, gay marriage, social security, health insurance, taxes...whatever. But this election is important because, all these things are secondary to National Security. That's right, if we get attacked in a major chemical, nuclear, or biological way by terrorists groups, all those other issues really don't mean a whole lot.

Senator Kerry believes in a reactionary policy. Wait for terrorists to attack, then respond. President Bush believes in a more pre-emptive policy. Remember, it only takes being wrong once. Senator Kerry claims that George Bush did not do enough to bring together our allies, but as we have recently found out, France and Russia were supplying arms to Iraq for oil at low prices. France particularily had a good business relationship with Saddam and didn't seem to even consider ethics. France and Germany, I believe, have said they would not have authorized force basically no matter what or who was President. So for all Kerry talks about the personality of Bush, the truth is it wouldn't have mattered. We could have went through 17 UN weapons inspections, but the UN was going to veto military action forever, based on their own countries interests and not morality.

What concerns me greatly is that John Kerry talks about bringing allies together. Yet, when the allies of the United Nations all agreed in the early 90's on the Gulf War in Kuwait, Kerry was one of very few who vetoed it, even with broad international support. He voted for the war in Iraq, then against funding the soliders with extra armor and weapons...one of only a few no votes. It's not that Kerry is a bad person but that he doesn't understand the fundamental nature of the problem. Terrorists like Al Quaeda don't negotiate or talk peace treaties. You get them or they get you. I am not trying to fear-monger, but think about what your kids will be doing in 20 years. Kerry's peaceful policy's are short-sighted, whereas Bush is looking long-term, trying to set an example of democracy for the Middle East to follow...the one area of the world that has never had democracies. It will take time...but it is important to protect us in the future. I urge you for the first time in a long time to vote Republican in 2004.

Re: Why to vote Republican this time.......

You know...I'm a republican but I'm actually thinking of voting for Kerry simply because of his promises he claims to be able to follow thru with.

If he can begin bringing back the troops in 6-months of taking charge and then bring peace to Iraq within his 4-year term plus bring our deficit back into the black, put Social Security on track, get the nation's unemployment to an acceptable low...basically make good on all his campaign rhetoric then I say give the man a chance! Either he'll do it and the nation and the world will be in a safer place, or he'll miserably fail and George W. Bush can say, "I told you so".

If he succeeds then the Democrats have proved once and for all they are the superior party. If he fails, well...party over, literally.

When I used to teach my kids the proper way of doing something and they feel they have a better way, I step back and say, "go for it". They either prove me wrong or they humbly accept defeat. Either way I let them dig their own grave if one is to be dug.

Kerry is promising quite a lot. Personally I don't think he'll be able to accomplish this incredable feat but hey he says he can do it so...I suggest Bush should step back...and say, "go for it" and either accept defeat graceously or step back in and accept Kerry's defeat graceously.

At this point, I say let the democratic party prove their abilities without republican interference thru congress. If they succeed, we as a nation succeed. If they fail, then let the republican party step back in and continue what they feel is proper for the nation. It's fair and it lets each party flex their muscles and prove once and for all what they're made of.

As much as I approve of what Bush is doing so far, I think I'll vote for Kerry simply because he's offering more on the plate (than he can chew) but if he can complete this meal of a term then heck we all win.

But the risks will be high if he fails. The key is no republican intervention where Kerry can point his finger of blame on. And if he fails then so does global/national political/economic stability. But if he succeeds, at least I can say, "Yep I voted for him". The personal win-win for me is that either Kerry succeeds and I benefit from that, or he fails and as a republican I can say, "I told you so". Either way I'll feel good about my vote and the result whatever it may be.

So as a republican I urge all fellow voters to vote for Kerry. Heck it's only four years or impeachment if he sucks as president. That's about as long as it takes to pay off your gas-guzzling SUV. At the end of four years, you'll have 1) a paid off car, and 2) either a greater and safer world or a republican president. How (as a republican) can you lose by voting for Kerry.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      You know...I'm a republican but I'm actually thinking of voting for Kerry simply because of his promises he claims to be able to follow thru with.

If he can begin bringing back the troops in 6-months of taking charge and then bring peace to Iraq within his 4-year term plus bring our deficit back into the black, put Social Security on track, get the nation's unemployment to an acceptable low...basically make good on all his campaign rhetoric then I say give the man a chance! Either he'll do it and the nation and the world will be in a safer place, or he'll miserably fail and George W. Bush can say, "I told you so".

If he succeeds then the Democrats have proved once and for all they are the superior party. If he fails, well...party over, literally.

When I used to teach my kids the proper way of doing something and they feel they have a better way, I step back and say, "go for it". They either prove me wrong or they humbly accept defeat. Either way I let them dig their own grave if one is to be dug.

Kerry is promising quite a lot. Personally I don't think he'll be able to accomplish this incredable feat but hey he says he can do it so...I suggest Bush should step back...and say, "go for it" and either accept defeat graceously or step back in and accept Kerry's defeat graceously.

At this point, I say let the democratic party prove their abilities without republican interference thru congress. If they succeed, we as a nation succeed. If they fail, then let the republican party step back in and continue what they feel is proper for the nation. It's fair and it lets each party flex their muscles and prove once and for all what they're made of.

As much as I approve of what Bush is doing so far, I think I'll vote for Kerry simply because he's offering more on the plate (than he can chew) but if he can complete this meal of a term then heck we all win.

But the risks will be high if he fails. The key is no republican intervention where Kerry can point his finger of blame on. And if he fails then so does global/national political/economic stability. But if he succeeds, at least I can say, "Yep I voted for him". The personal win-win for me is that either Kerry succeeds and I benefit from that, or he fails and as a republican I can say, "I told you so". Either way I'll feel good about my vote and the result whatever it may be.

So as a republican I urge all fellow voters to vote for Kerry. Heck it's only four years or impeachment if he sucks as president. That's about as long as it takes to pay off your gas-guzzling SUV. At the end of four years, you'll have 1) a paid off car, and 2) either a greater and safer world or a republican president. How (as a republican) can you lose by voting for Kerry.
      I understand what you are saying, but Kerry will never get any of what he plans through Congress and we will have gridlock. Experts expect the Republicans to gain 1-3 Senators to give them a bigger majority. So what you will have is gridlock. I think it would be a mistake in the middle of the Iraq conflict to switch leaders and cabinet members....I don't want what happens with Kerry to be the same thing as what happened with Clinton...ignoring the CIA.....and not responding to terrorist attacks. That just breeds more terrorism, as terrorists only back down when you show strength. Ask Middle East experts.

Comment

OK, let's assume that the incumbent administration is voted back into office. Iraq is just one line item in a whole laundry list of problems that this country has been beset with over the last 3 years. Granted, the Administration can't be blamed for all of the problems, but it certainly has done very little to alleviate problems that have cropped up since this administration took office.

The Republicans are trying to get citizens to vote for their party's candidates through fear of terrorism. The fear of international terrorism is real, but I think most Americans also worry about things like the flu vaccine shortage and outsourcing of their jobs. They worry that their kids in public school aren't going to be able to get good educations because "No Child Left Behind" is severely underfunded. The Bush Administration thus far has been long on promises but very short on delivery.

I usually am proactive with things I can control, but I think a pre-emptive attack on a country which had no WMDs at the time we attacked is unconscionable; especially at the expense of being called global buffoons. If the current Administration is re-elected, I predict that Israel will wage war against Iran, and North Korea will get cozier with China. Will we have enough troops to go help our Israeli friends while we continue to mount battles in Iraq and Afghanistan using an all-volunteer Army? If al Qaeda had mounted an attack on the US and landed hordes of troops on our soil, I myself would pick up a rifle and defend this country. But I cannot see spending billions of dollars overseas in a "pre-emptive" conflict when we have so many crushing social problems in this country that could have used some of that $200 billion we will have spent in Iraq.

I don't think Kerry would ignore the CIA (which is in total disarray right now) any worse than the Bush Administration has done so in the last 3 years. Heck, even the ex-CIA Director George Tenant (now that he's not under the iron fetters of the Bush Administration) is now coming out saying that we had no business starting that war in Iraq.

And Craig is right about one thing: If Kerry is elected, he and his administration can be voted out in 4 years if he doesn't come through for us. If we re-elect Bush, we can only be assured of the same thing that's been going on for the past 3 years, unless the people really running the country--Cheney and Rumsfeld--are given their walking papers shortly after January. We know that Bush will have to do plenty of hiring if he's re-elected because many of the people who were in his cabinet either have already left in disgust or will not want to be part of the next Administration. Good riddance to bad rubbish, you say? I say if people like Colin Powell leave the Bush Administration, then the psychological war in the US really begins and the brainwashing of the American public accelerates. What I don't understand is why the current Administration thinks its fecal matter smells sweeter than anyone else's? Why can't the Administration admit that sometimes mistakes can be made and that maybe--just maybe--we have erred in our foreign policy?

I personally don't like either Presidential candidate. But I won't waste my vote on Nader, so that leaves me only one choice: to vote for Kerry and keep watching to make sure he follows up on his campaign promises. We can't do any worse for this country.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Democrat claims that President Bush is underfunding “No Child Left Behind” are false.

¨ Minority Leader Pelosi and other Democrats have claimed – inaccurately – that President Bush has underfunded the No Child Left Behind Act by $8 billion (The White House Bulletin. “House Democrats Charge House GOP Labor/HHS Appropriations Bill ‘Cuts’ Education Funding,” 7/9/03).

¨ In fact, the No Child Left Behind Act did not authorize any specific overall amount for FY2003 and beyond, and there is absolutely no basis for Rep. Pelosi’s claim in existing law.

¨ The New York Times (1/16/03) corrected the Democrats’ spin. After initially reporting Democrat leaders’ claim that the No Child Left Behind Act authorized a specific number ($29.2 billion) for FY 2003, the paper later issued a correction, stating, “An article last Thursday about the debate between President Bush and Democrats in Congress over education policy referred incorrectly to spending provisions in legislation signed by Mr. Bush last year. While the No Child Left Behind Act did authorize specific funding levels for a handful of specific programs, it did not, as some claim, authorize $29.2 billion or any other specific overall amount in No Child Left Behind spending for this fiscal year (FY 2003) or any other remaining years.”

Comment

Originally posted by mcnabbmcnow

¨ The New York Times (1/16/03) corrected the Democrats’ spin. After initially reporting Democrat leaders’ claim that the No Child Left Behind Act authorized a specific number ($29.2 billion) for FY 2003, the paper later issued a correction, stating, “An article last Thursday about the debate between President Bush and Democrats in Congress over education policy referred incorrectly to spending provisions in legislation signed by Mr. Bush last year. While the No Child Left Behind Act did authorize specific funding levels for a handful of specific programs, it did not, as some claim, authorize $29.2 billion or any other specific overall amount in No Child Left Behind spending for this fiscal year (FY 2003) or any other remaining years.”
            Then why is there a referendum on my state's general election ballot this year asking for voters to approve charter schools? If the public school system was getting adequate funding, why would proponents of the charter school measure think we need to suck something like $30 million out of my state's education budget to set up these schools so underachieving (and gifted students) would get special attention? And what good is federal legislation without adequate funding and planning anyway? All smoke and mirrors, if you ask me.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; October 24, 2004, 08:08 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm voting for Kerry. I'm 28 and frankly deathly afraid of the path
              "W" is taking us down.

1. He has cut taxes for the wealthy
              2. But instead of reducing the size of government, he has expanded it
              3. Thus leaving us with a huge federal deficit
              4. His No Child Left Behind is poor excuse to make our schools better.
              Actually in my opinion it is making things worse, irrepairably.
              5. He lead us into a no win situation in Iraq. Basing his reasoning on
              invading Iraq on false pretenses, where are all those WMD's
              6. His policies on fighting terrorism are isolating the United States from
              the rest of the world.
              7. His domestic anti-terrorism policies are slowly turning the United States
              into a police state
              8. Bush's trickle down economics policy has been a failure. The economy
              is still stuck in mud. While the exportation of Amerian jobs is still happening
              at a furious pace.

These are my reasons why I will be voting for John Kerry. I urge people still
              on the fence to look closely at the issues above and think if you really
              want another four years of Bush.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                1. He has cut taxes for the wealthy
                What's wrong with that? The wealthy already pay more (percentage wise) than any other socio-economic group.
                2. But instead of reducing the size of government, he has expanded it
                He had to with Homeland Security. Kerry would have had to do the same, and regarding increasing the size of government, if he didn't create Homeland security, he would have been accused of not doing more to protect us.
                3. Thus leaving us with a huge federal deficit
                If the wealthy didn't get tax relief thru tax cuts, do you think they it would have motivated them to invest in our stock market (the engine that runs our economy) and remember Clinton's tax surplus was given back to it's rightful owners, the taxpayers which led us back to a deficit by Bush. If you felt that tax refund check wasn't due to you then you should have donated it back to the federal government instead of buying that computer or whatever you did with it.
                4. His No Child Left Behind is poor excuse to make our schools better.
                I agree there. Bush mandated school reform without providing local support to those agencies (BOE/DOE) that must execute them, all this while teacher morale is at a low due to increased demands on credentials and low teacher pay and the fact that here in Hawaii NCLB is not responsive to our cultural diversiveness that limits NCLB's success even with federal dollars. If the Bush administration had provided the financial resources to have schools comply with the NCLB I think this would have been a marginal success. Implementation of NCLB put a greater burden on local schools to comply without the support mechanism to achieve that goal.
                5. He lead us into a no win situation in Iraq. Basing his reasoning on
                invading Iraq on false pretenses, where are all those WMD's
                Remember at that time his actions were based on information that at the time was deemed credible even to Kerry and the UN. The fact that Kerry endorsed military action at that time would also mean that Kerry lied as well. No one lied. Everybody was simply misinformed. But when the democratic party stood behind the president at that time and now have abandoned him when the time turned gloom and doom shows no backbone for better or for worse.
                6. His policies on fighting terrorism are isolating the United States from the rest of the world.
                Remember, there is a coalition of supporting nations as well. The US has always been an isolated nation from the rest of the world. We've had to tend to our own wounds for virtually all of our disasters while we have pumped billions of dollars in support around the world (even to our enemies) for disaster/war/famine/disease relief.
                7. His domestic anti-terrorism policies are slowly turning the United States into a police state
                If we didn't have a domestic anti-terrorism policy(s) would you feel safer flying in an airplane? I don't think this is becoming a police state. Just go to a communist country as an outspoken political opponent of it government and marvel at your government escort everywhere. That's a police state.
                8. Bush's trickle down economics policy has been a failure. The economy is still stuck in mud. While the exportation of Amerian jobs is still happening at a furious pace.
                With home sales up across the country and ebay being a huge success (#1 female CEO) with WalMarts springing up everywhere and job fairs happening almost monthly instead of annually (even in Hawaii) I hardly believe the economy is stuck in the mud. The only exportation of American jobs being showcased in the news are jobs of telemarketing or call centers. I don't believe these jobs represent the greater workforce of the American workplace. With WalMart opening up in Honolulu's super block, hundreds of jobs have been created in just that alone, and along with that, thousands of tax dollars have just been added to Hawaii's tax base.
                These are my reasons why I will be voting for John Kerry. I urge people still on the fence to look closely at the issues above and think if you really want another four years of Bush.
                And remember for better and for worse (Aarons reasons) all of this happened under the Bush administration. Under Bush's administration, I bought my home in cash and retired with a healthy nestegg. My kids are doing better, my wife got her dream job and will complete her masters degree. I think I'm doing pretty good under Bush's administrative policies, heck Aaron, you even got your computer cheaper at that Capitalistic (trickle down economic aided) store called WalMart while working at another Big Box retailer.

Those aren't the reasons why I'm voting for Kerry. I'm sick and tired of him saying everything Bush did he'll do better. Well DUH!! That's a bunch of rhetoric but if he says he's gonna do it, he'd better do it because all of his promises seem inflated to the point of lying but I'll give the man a chance. If he succeeds well we are better off by those promises he claims. If he fails put Bush back in because for everything Aaron stated in his reasons for voting for Kerry, I've offered valid reasons or compelling reasons against them other than NCLB.

Either way both Aaron and I are voting for Kerry but for completely different reasons. I say my reasons for voting for Kerry is more objective and puts political blame out of the equation and limits everything to each candidate's campaign rhetoric. Kerry's got my vote but he'd better come thru for the sake of the world.

His promises are grand (and unattainable in my opinion) but if you were looking at a sales ad for a new car and one brand offered more on the plate for less, you'd be a fool not to consider the savings there. Kerry is offering quite a bit (good bang for the buck) to intice you to vote for him. I'd like to offer this proposition to Kerry...a money (vote) back guarantee offering full refund (step down as president) if we as a country are not satisfied with his promises. That's fair and very reasonable. But before I condemn his promises as empty rhetoric, I'll let him prove me wrong or let him dig his own grave.

Like I said, I win either way. I either benefit from his success or I prove my point as a republican. And yes I voted for Ed Case and Dan Inouye as a registered republican simply because I trust Case (he understands trickle down economic principles) and I know Inouye will bring in much needed federal dollars for our domestic needs. Gabbard hasn't proved much of anything other than his moral beliefs on abortion. The Hare Krishna connection still bothers me as well.
                Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 24, 2004, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Well Craig at least we are on the same page in regards to voting. But the
                  path we got there is light years different in my opinion.
                  What's wrong with that? The wealthy already pay more (percentage wise) than any other socio-economic group.
                  Quite a bit in my opinion, can you cite a unbias information source where you got your information.
                  If the wealthy didn't get tax relief thru tax cuts, do you think they it would have motivated them to invest in our stock market (the engine that runs our economy)
                  That is a very short sided view in my opinion. You won't have to worry about the federal deficit, nor will the rest of the baby boomer generation. But the generation I'm in will and our children.
                  If we didn't have a domestic anti-terrorism policy(s) would you feel safer flying in an airplane? I don't think this is becoming a police state. Just go to a communist country as an outspoken political opponent of it government and marvel at your government escort everywhere. That's a police state.
                  I guess you never heard of the Patriot Act ?
                  heck Aaron, you even got your computer cheaper at that Capitalistic (trickle down economic aided) store called WalMart while working at another Big Box retailer.
                  I definitely do not chalk that up to Bush's economic policies. He didn't decide where I work ?
                  I agree there.
                  To elaborate further on this, as far as I understand if the schools do not meet the NCLB mandates the school is forced to reorganize. Meaning all the administration people are fired and the teachers will have to re-apply for their jobs. I saw a list online of more than a dozen schools here in Hawaii that will have to go through this process.
                  Last edited by Aaron S; October 24, 2004, 11:09 AM.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Quite a bit in my opinion, can you cite a unbias information source where you got your information.
                    this is my source: http://www.taxfoundation.org/ff/cbostudy2.html

and mind you under Clinton's administration he believed anyone with assets something over $120,000 was deemed rich. That included annual salery, benefits, and your home. The home asset alone would have put most Hawaii homeowners into the catagory of rich. He based his opinion on home prices in Little Rock Arkansas where they are considerably less. Needless to say he didn't get democratic approval for that one.

As a former journalist information is never unbiased no matter how factual it is. For every factual statistic compiled, there is always an argument debating it's worthiness or basis.
                    That is a very short sided view in my opinion. You won't have to worry about the federal deficit, nor will the rest of the baby boomer generation. But the generation I'm in will and our children.
                    It may be short sided but it's true. If you had the money to invest but knew by doing so your tax burden would increase, would you invest it? It comes down to a personal decision.

Remember the baby boomer generation and previous generations have lived under a federal deficit. This is nothing new to many of us who have been around. So don't sweat it, it's nothing new to be in a deficit. Even under the Carter administration we were in a deficit in the trillions of dollars but I don't see anyone blaming him for that.
                    I guess you never heard of the Patriot Act ?
                    Yes I have and in time of emergency action we sometimes have to give up our personal freedoms for the sake of national security. Would you prefer Martial Law instead as we did after Pearl Harbor?

And it does affect our civil rights but imagine if we didn't invoke some type of screening and did let more terrorists into our borders and provoke more bloodshed on our homeland. If limiting our civil rights to protect my family from terrorism is what's needed, well we have to give up those rights for that protection.

I definitely do not chalk that up to Bush's economic policies. He didn't decide where I work ?
                    That was a sarcastic response sorry for that but the fact that you're still employed instead of outsourced shows that Bush's policies haven't affected you in ways you point out.
                    To elaborate further on this, as far as I understand if the schools do not meet the NCLB mandates the school is forced to reorganize. Meaning all the administration people are fired and the teachers will have to re-apply for their jobs. I saw a list online of more than a dozen schools here in Hawaii that will have to go through this process.
                    Yes that's true. While Hawaii's public schools grapple with it's diverse culture and SAT testing that doesn't adapt to those cultures, NCLB makes it even more difficult for our local schools to comply and puts many of our public schools in jeopardy.

I'll respond to your response later on. Believe it or not my wife is giving me the stink eye right now because we have to go to WalMart to buy more laundry detergent. I'd have gone to Kmart just for you but we don't have that Big Box retailer (yet) here in Hilo.

Bottom line we're both voting for Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      I'd have gone to Kmart just for you but we don't have that Big Box retailer (yet) here in Hilo.
                      They were going to build a Kmart in Hilo, but I'm not sure on the specifics but I believe Wal-Mart out bid Kmart to use the DHHL land which the Wal-Mart sits on now.
                      Remember the baby boomer generation and previous generations have lived under a federal deficit. This is nothing new to many of us who have been around. So don't sweat it, it's nothing new to be in a deficit. Even under the Carter administration we were in a deficit in the trillions of dollars but I don't see anyone blaming him for that.
                      Well the federal deficit along with national security are my number 1 and 2 concerns. The facts as they are under Clinton there was a budget surplus. 4 years later now we have a massive federal deficit. At least from my view you reduce government services if you want to reduce taxes. That is simply good business sense. When you own a business you are in it to make money not to lose money.

Simply put the federal deficit will allways be a concern of mine, since I will be effected by it through higher taxes in the future, reduced or no social security benefits since the government raids that to raise more cash to pay down the deficit.
                      Yes I have and in time of emergency action we sometimes have to give up our personal freedoms for the sake of national security. Would you prefer Martial Law instead as we did after Pearl Harbor?

And it does affect our civil rights but imagine if we didn't invoke some type of screening and did let more terrorists into our borders and provoke more bloodshed on our homeland. If limiting our civil rights to protect my family from terrorism is what's needed, well we have to give up those rights for that protection.
                      From my viewpoint if we stopped involving ourselves in situations that cause the terrorists to attack us. We wouldn't be having to give up our personal liberties. Yes 9/11 was tragic event, but I frankly do not believe giving up our personal freedoms is right.

The freedoms given us in the constitution and the Bill of Rights have existed way before this terrorism threat. We should not lose sight of that.

for that but the fact that you're still employed instead of outsourced shows that Bush's policies haven't affected you in ways you point out.
                      But it also shows another point indirectly. Our economy is becoming more service based and less manufacturing jobs. Those manufacturing jobs are being sent overseas to China, Japan, Mexico, Canada. This is why the outsourcing of IT jobs is such at hot button issue as it is another well paying job being sent overseas.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

But it also shows another point indirectly. Our economy is becoming more service based and less manufacturing jobs. Those manufacturing jobs are being sent overseas to China, Japan, Mexico, Canada. This is why the outsourcing of IT jobs is such at hot button issue as it is another well paying job being sent overseas.
                        Remember about a year or so ago when stock market analysists indicated there will be a major adjustment in our soaring stock market under Clinton's administration? I guess 9/11 took care of that. But our manufacturing jobs were heightened when the dollar was artifically devalued under Reagan allowing the Japanese automakers to build their autos in the US (also to get away from the tarifs imposed on import autos). Our steel industry suffered when the Japanese could make steel cheaper than the US but that was because the atomic bomb took out their antiquated steel mills. The United States never upgraded quickly enough to counter that one.

The outsourcing of IT jobs would have happened anyway because those kinds of jobs are importable to begin with. With the advancement of the Internet outsourcing became inevitable (so you can blame Gore for that one since he claimed he invented the Internet).

We were a major industrial nation just before the next revolution, the information revolution sometime in the 50's. Our growing economy meant better wages for blue collar workers. But as third world countries became mechanized/industrialized, their smaller valuation of currency against the US dollar opened the eyes of most manufactures because IT MADE GOOD BUSINESS SENSE TO HIRE CHEAPER LABOR. Outsourcing of jobs in the US was inevitable regardless. But it also shows the point that the US dollar was strengthening against weaker international currencies making those countries a cheaper place to hire labor. Outsourcing means a strong dollar meaning a strong economy against others. Why do you think when the Japanese Yen was 300 to 1 US dollar. Lots of industrial jobs went to Japan including auto and steel manufacturing. To counter that Reagan devalued the US dollar to make it more competative against increasing valuations of international currencies. That's when our manufacturing industries saw profits again. What most analysists didn't consider was that Japan's banks would go broke from the spending power of the Yen. Now with a devaluing Yen and a devalued US Dollar, international economies were threatened.

Enter a stronger US Dollar to hedge that recession. And here we are, strong dollar and a strong economy and the rest of the terroristic arab world hates us for that except OPEC nations who thrive on our robust economy because we buy most of their exports...crude oil.

So...if you want us to stay out of situations that results in terroristic acts against us, we need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. So that means we have to stop driving our gas guzzlers wastefully and we must reduce our need for electricity, plastics, cosmetics and everything associated with petroleum-based energy/products. But that also means less US jobs in the auto industry, less petroleum-based manufacturing jobs (i.e. cosmetics, plastics, whatever)

Are you willing to reduce your intake of these products/services to keep terrorists out of our backyard? I didn't think so, so things like the Patriot Act and pre-emptive strikes are necessary to maintain our freedoms. And that's why our servicemen and women are out there dying, so we can drive our SUV's to WalMart to pick up laundry detergent in plastic jugs.

Yes it all comes down to Crude Oil as the anti Bush protesters speculated, but who's using that oil? How did those protesters rally together? Not by electric cars recharged by photo-voltaic panels instead of crude oil powered power plants. Our nation needs crude oil to maintain our appetite of decedance as viewed by our Islamic terrorists.

You want to prove them wrong? Then it starts with our manufacturing industries that use a lot of that black gold. So outsourcing our manufacturing jobs is a good thing then because we reduce our dependance on crude oil by some margin.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 24, 2004, 09:26 PM.

Comment

How bout we call it a draw. It is late and there is a lot of things and perspectives that I disagree with that you mentioned above. The
                          things that I do agree with is we need to reduce our foreign oil
                          reliance, maybe slowly find some other alternative energy sources.
                          More importantly you will be voting for John Kerry which I definately
                          agree with.

On a more technical note it would've been easier if you bold lettered
                          your responses like I did. It was hard to discern what I wrote and
                          what you wrote.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

its hard to bold print when your eyeballs are crying, "sleep already!" Okay draw, at least we're still voting for the same man.

Goodnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              The Republicans are trying to get citizens to vote for their party's candidates through fear of terrorism. The fear of international terrorism is real, but I think most Americans also worry about things like the flu vaccine shortage and outsourcing of their jobs. They worry that their kids in public school aren't going to be able to get good educations because "No Child Left Behind" is severely underfunded. The Bush Administration thus far has been long on promises but very short on delivery.
                              If the Republicans are using fear to get peoples votes over terrorism, the Democrats are doing the same thing with fear over losing your social security or a draft. At least the Republicans claims partially hold some water because of John Kerry's past voting record (voted against the Gulf War even though international community was all for it). And just for the record, most Americans think the flu vaccine shortage is a joke. This only matters for people over 75, and even if you get a flu shot, you could end up getting an entirely different strand of flu. Doctors on the news said that the risk of anyone dying from this is incredibly, incredibly small, and usually it is elderly people who have other problems. The average American doesn't even think about flu shots.
                              These are my reasons why I will be voting for John Kerry. I urge people still on the fence to look closely at the issues above and think if you really want another four years of Bush.
                              I'd look at different reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X