Team America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team America

We went to the matinee of this show this afternoon. Frankly speaking, it wasn't even worth the $6 reduced admission charge.

The Good: My goodness, but marionette technology has taken quantum leaps since the Thunderbirds! Due to some skillful digitizing, you couldn't even see the seams on the main character's faces.

The Mediocre: OK, so the whole premise of this movie was to poke fun at some of the world's leading bad guys...Osama bin Laden, Kim Il Jong and some of the leading antiwar/pro-environment movie stars (Alex Baldwin being the lead character) and that "good" (Team America) overcomes "bad" (Kim Il Jong using an extravaganza in Korea to which he invites all the leading stars of F.A.G. (a caricature of the Screen Actors' Guild) so that he and his terrorist buddies can explode strategically placed WMDs around the world and become "king the world.") There were some catchy tunes which had some obscenities liberally sprinkled in.

The Really, really bad: There was a lot of gratuitous violence and sex (you haven't lived until you've seen two marionettes engaged in some naughties) and as well as some other scenes which are too graphic to describe here.

Probably the worse part was, sitting in front of us was an 8-9 year old boy in a SWAT outfit (cammo pants and black helmet) accompanied by his parents (or at least guardians of some sort). Now the film is rated "R" for the gratuituous sex and violence and foul language, so I don't know what the heck the adults he was with were trying to teach the kid. Of course, the kid probably has grown up watching "South Park" (whose creators produced Team America).

That's sooooo appalling! No wonder the kids nowadays act the way they do. They see stuff I wasn't even aware of until I was well into high school.

So unless you like gratutious sex and violence and obscene language, save your money and go see "Shark Tales" or something a little more mainstream.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Team America

I have no doubt people will be taking kids to this movie under the mistaken impression that "puppets = family friendly" -- but I think a far greater number will be doing so just because they don't care. But that's a rant for a new thread, perhaps.

I want to see this film. "South Park" lost its appeal for me long ago, honestly, but Parker and Stone do have a distinct knack for mixing biting commentary with absolutely apalling, disgusting, shock-value-only humor. Sometimes it works, and I think - only from what I've read - "Team America" might be a winner. Especially because, as you noted, it's not partisan -- no one is spared... including Hollywood itself.

I don't think I want to see it enough to pay $8 a seat... but it's definitely going in the Netflix queue.

Comment

Working...
    X