Kamehameha Schools Admission Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamehameha Schools Admission Policy

Anyone following this? Comments and concerns are welcomed.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/11/05/news/index1.html
    La'akea

Re: Kamehameha Schools Admission Policy

This would be a more precise URL to use.

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Glen
      La'akea

Comment

This makes me sick.
        Kamehameha schools going along just fine for about 100 years. Hawaii is stolen from the Hawaiians and haole laws forced on it. Mainland politics, polititians, lawyers come here and take away and destroy what has been created for the original cohabitants of this land.

What IS wrong with this picture?!

Comment

With Kamehameha Schools being an independent PRIVATE school, I believe that their admissions policy should stay as it is now. I do not see it as a racially driven policy as it is a private entity flexing their rights to only accept those of Hawaiian ancestry. Perhaps precedent has been established more nationally in the case of the men's-only Augusta National Club in the world of golf. They, being a private golf club, legally can choose to allow who may enter into their club. So back to the Kamehameha discussion, as long as they do not except public money to support their educational needs, it must be able to function as they see fit. If they really want to allow non-Hawaiians to enter the school, perhaps they should make this not a battle in terms of legality but of what would be best in the interest of the public and not trample over the rights of private citizens and entities. I do see a very "slippery slope" here.

If Augusta were to be highly pressured publicly to allow women, maybe they would alter their policies. However, certain women attacked them and they did what any other human being would do and they built "walls" to protect themselves from the criticism. Instead of opening lines of communication on why it would benefit the club by allowing women to enter, they only encouraged Augusta's resolve to stay status-quo. What do you think of all of this? Does the analogy work here or am I just wrong? And why? As always, I welcome constructive debate.

Comment

Originally posted by al_kohallik
            Does the analogy work here or am I just wrong? And why? As always, I welcome constructive debate.
            You are wrong. Debate is not welcome here.
            cuz Mel will shut down this thread.

Comment

Mel must be holoholo ka'a someplace because I neva wen see da buggah post inside here long time already!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Mel must be holoholo ka'a someplace because I neva wen see da buggah post inside here long time already!

Miulang

yea. he wen go insai his ka, den holoholo away for a while, go shop stuffmart, prevent um from closing.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  This makes me sick.
                  Kamehameha schools going along just fine for about 100 years. Hawaii is stolen from the Hawaiians and haole laws forced on it. Mainland politics, polititians, lawyers come here and take away and destroy what has been created for the original cohabitants of this land.

What IS wrong with this picture?!
                  THEY'RE TAKING OVER EVERYTHING (again)!!!

We might as well give them the state (including Niihau and Ko'oholawe) and whover disapproves what they do, burn them.

Look at the Native Americans; They're almost gone. What do you think how Hawaiians will be in a few more decades?
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    You are wrong. Debate is not welcome here. cuz Mel will shut down this thread.
                    Debate is welcome here. Pointless attacks are not. Please do not criticize other members on this site, particularly in conversations in which they're not even participating.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                      Debate is welcome here. Pointless attacks are not. Please do not criticize other members on this site, particularly in conversations in which they're not even participating.
                      Loa'a wale.
                      A'ole pilikia!
                      Misread and misinterpreted.
                      Joking only!
                      This was in reference to Mel's famous characteristic of threatening to shut down threads.
                      "mel
                      Re: Most Revolting, Disgusting Local TV Commercial?
                      I think when this topic hits 100 messages, it will be closed."

Sorry it didn't come across as a semi-lighthearted "jab"!
                      Last edited by kimo55; December 3, 2004, 01:35 PM. Reason: Clare I. Ficasion

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                        Debate is welcome here. Pointless attacks are not. .

wait. every attack doesn't have to have a point.
                        and everything with a point isn't used in an attack...

hmmm...
                        I... that is.. if you... I didn't...

oh nevermind.

Comment

to quote Plato upon hearing verbage from Socrates, "Hah?"
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            to quote Plato upon hearing verbage from Socrates, "Hah?"
                            To be is to do.
                            -- Socrates replied.

To do is to be.
                            -- Sartre rejoined

Do be a Do Bee!
                            -- Miss Connie, of Romper Room chimed in

Do be do be do!
                            -- Frank Sinatra retorted

Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                            -- Fred Flintstone added

Comment

Originally posted by al_kohallik
                              Perhaps precedent has been established more nationally in the case of the men's-only Augusta National Club in the world of golf. They, being a private golf club, legally can choose to allow who may enter into their club. So back to the Kamehameha discussion, as long as they do not except public money to support their educational needs, it must be able to function as they see fit.
                              True, Kamehameha doesn't accept federal funds for its operations. But as a charitable organization, it is exempt from federal taxes. In that sense, U.S. taxpayers are subsidizing this multibillion-dollar organization that exercises a racial preference in its admissions, regardless of how we feel about the issue (i.e. that's millions of dollars the federal government doesn't collect from an organization that serves one ethnic group).

If Kamehameha lost its tax-exempt status because of that of racial preference, it would have a huge impact on its finances and, obviously, its far-reaching educational and community programs. It's understandable why the school, faced with such a threat, has reviewed its admissions policy in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                              X