Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expecting too much??

Greetings from Wyoming everyone!

I love Wyoming but am looking to move to Hawaii. Yes, big change.

I need to have my wide open spaces/countryside, for my horses as much as my sanity, but also want to be at least walking/biking distance from a super snorkleing beach. The Big Island appeals to me the most; what areas would be best? I am NO millionaire (I'm currently training to be a farrier), so is this asking too much?
    Anything else that you can suggest on the Big Island towns, from crime to air quality would also be helpful.

I thank you for having me, and appreciate your advice.

Cheers, Kate

Re: Expecting too much??

Howzit Kate!

Horse country, within walking/biking distance to a snorkeling beach? Hmm. Big Island almost for sure. Except I don't know if the snorkeling is that great there, compared with the older islands.

As you may have already read about Hawai'i, the biggest issue you're going to face will probably be financial. Jobs aren't that easy to come by here in the islands, and I don't imagine there are all that many openings for farriers, even on the Big Island. You should check with some of the ranches there -- Parker Ranch being the biggest, but there are many smaller ones as well. Good luck!

Comment

Hey! I got married in your town Yells! Back in 90..........that didnt last, the ex inlaws still live there on Big horn Ave........always wished i would live there one day, sure liked that little town but so much for that i guess
      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

It looks like you're going to have to stick to something in Kamuela (which is more of a district than a town); I'd recommend Waimea since that is the home of Parker Ranch. I can't vouch for the snorkling at all, but there are a lot of horsies.

Don't rule out the other islands. The rural areas of Oahu are likely to have better snorkling than the Big Island (older reefs), and you might find Waialua or Pupukea exactly your speed.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't think the Big Island has many snorkeling beaches since it is the youngest island, and as Glen said, some of the best snorkeling can be found on Oahu and Maui. Maui has Ulupalakua Ranch, but the cost of living is very high on Maui. There is a burgeoning polo season in Makawao on Maui, too, so somebody's gotta be doing the horseshoeing for the Baldwins and the von Tempsky's et al!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses guys and gals, I GREATLY appreciate it.

Hey memorylane - glad to hear that you liked Sheridan. It's a lovely little place - small world eh?

I realize that it's going to be a BIG financial adjustment for me going from WY to Hawaii. My well-meaning parents have suggested that I find a place that has a low cost of living, low taxes, no state income tax, etc. and go to Hawaii and other tropical ocean places for vacations.
            Sounds logical, but I want to enjoy my EVERYDAY life, and not be miserable most days wishing my vacation was sooner. My health is something that I have to look at too, which does NOT do well in the cold I'm also only 26 so the "wait until I retire" option is too far off.

Well, right now I'm off to shovel some more snow.
            Cheers, Kate

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to Hawai'i Threads!
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I admire your big move, I hope it goes as well as it possibly can. For others like myself who are saving for the big move down the road, you should keep us informed on your happenings so we all know what to expect
                There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

don't know what this white boy was expecting but it's slightly entertaining to see a mainlander complain about Oahu and equate the sound of the ocean to freeway traffic.
                  poor soul.

http://eric.kssx.com/podsrc/aloha001.mov

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    don't know what this white boy was expecting but it's slightly entertaining to see a mainlander complain about Oahu and equate the sound of the ocean to freeway traffic.
                    poor soul.

http://eric.kssx.com/podsrc/aloha001.mov
                    Be nice! Leave Haole Boy alone! ( 2 more)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      Be nice! Leave Haole Boy alone! ( 2 more)

I AM being nice. ya otta see me when I am not! pissing off the internet police with my lame jokes and comments, using big words, forcing my opinion on others, calling people names, editing my posts to change what I originally wrote...

don't get me stahded!
                      Last edited by kimo55; February 24, 2005, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        I AM being nice. ya otta see me when I am not! Calling people names, using big words, pissing off the internet police with my lame jokes and comments, forcing my opinion on others...
                        don't get me stahded!
                        I know, I know already...can't you see I'm just posting to hit 400! Now (1) more! Shit! (ooops) I better get a life, I can't believe I'm doing this, waiting to hit 400! What have I turned into! Eeeks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          I know, I know already...can't you see I'm just posting to hit 400!
                          Please don't do this. We can institute padding threads if this is something others want to do, but you shouldn't post on regular threads just to boost your post count.

Comment

Working...
                          X