Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

How did you settle on it, and what significance or meaning does it have for you?

In the late eighties and early nineties, my handle was Proginoskes, after a character in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door. Just before I got out of college, I changed it to Scrivener--it seemed more in keeping with who I'd become online.

In the days before photocopiers, legal documents that had to be duplicated were hand-copied by people called scriveners. Literally, a scrivener is someone who writes. I took the name from Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, a story I hate but a title I love.

So where'd you get yours?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

This could be a fun thread. There are lots of handles I'm curious about!

My handle, pzarquon, is a login-esque contraction of Prophet Zarquon, my handle from the heady BBS days of the early '90s. He's a character that exists for only a page or two (out of hundreds) in Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, who shows up just in time for the party to end. I somehow identified with that befuddlement.

There's a HHGTTG movie in the works, and now I wonder if Prophet Zarquon will make an appearance?

Comment

If you've lived in Hawai'i for more than a few years, then you should know:

My name is Glen Miyashiro
      I went to Kaimukī High School
      Then I went UH Mānoa
      And now I work in one office

"Glen Miyashiro", by Frank DeLima
      (to the tune of "Guantanamera")

Comment

A few years ago when I first got online I joined a Yahoo history/biography book club, and I got in the habit of posting links to current news stories I thought might interest members of the club. After a while one of the members began calling me Linkmeister, and I liked it enough to keep it when I started looking for a domain name. To my surprise, it was available, so I got it, and I've been using it ever since. (Since I have my resumé on the site, my real name is out there; I ain't hiding nothin'.)
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

In the mid-80's I was hired to set up a (very primitive, at that time) computer system connecting two offices and one country house. I'd had absolutely no experience with modems, but bought a 1200 one and tried to connect and test it. I noticed an advertisement for a MUD, so tested the modem connection by calling that number.

It asked me for a name. The wife of my boss had given me a cigarette lighter in the shape of a panther's head and it was sitting on the computer.

So I said, "Panther".

Now a book has been published in France called (in French, of course) "The World of Albert the Panther".

Who woulda thunk it?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            If you've lived in Hawai'i for more than a few years, then you should know:
            Yes, yes, but why did YOU choose it? Do all those things describe you, too?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Yes, yes, but why did YOU choose it? Do all those things describe you, too?
              In the particulars, no; in general, yes. Glen Miyashiro is the local Japanese everyman. The first time I heard DeLima's song, I was driving down Punchbowl and I nearly ran my car off the road, I was laughing so hard. I mean, if you're a local Japanese boy, that song just stings, it's so dead-on accurate.

Comment

Well, for my name (nick name)....

Serenity

I liked it so much from this prayer I found...

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change.....
                The courage to change the things I can....
                and the wisdom to know the difference.

So sometimes, when I need Serenity in my life,
                there are things I cannot change, & the wisdom to know the difference,
                I think of that name which leads me to that prayer.

Hence, my signature: "Be tranquil in one's mind".
                That is how my nick name came to be.

Any one else would like to share?
                Inquiring minds would like to know.

Aloha.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

In the late 80's, I was the Business Manager for Chariot Promotions Inc., Professional Boxing in Hawai'i (for several months till I quit)...therefore, dubbed by Steve Lum of Honolulu Sporting News as Hawaii's 1st Lady Of Boxing! I also go by Auntie Lynn of Chinatown, Auntie Pupule, and momthreesoldiers, depending on what mood I'm in. After all, I'm Bi-Polar.

Just me,
                  Lynn Vasquez
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Couldn't believe somebody already took aloha or I could be dyslexic.

Comment

Originally posted by ahola
                      Couldn't believe somebody already took aloha or I could be dyslexic.
                      Maybe you are dyslexic?.

That's always been the ending to my last statement.

Don't know about anyone, but I really like it. So there. LOL.

Aloha.
                      Aches & Pains
                      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I am brand new at this, I got my computer for Christmas a year ago and the grandkids are teaching me how to use it. So I just came up with my name. I love being a grandma, "Tutu" and I am from South Carolina. Because I lived in Hawaii 7 years I cheat and call myself "Tutu". I am a wantabe.........
                        CKS

Comment

I was surfing at Pupukea on the NS and believe it or not, I wasn't wearing board shorts...I was surfing in my bib overalls, AKA "farmer's jeans". (I deceided to catch some waves after a day of working the fields in central O'ahu; didn't feel like changing) Anyway..a couple of locals saw me in my wet overalls, as I clutched my stick after riding out a weak swell, and asked me "How's the breaks, surfing farmboy?" I fell in love with that nickname from the start. I think it fits me so well.

Comment

this is probably the most annoying story , but i'll post it anyway. orginally , i'm from guam , but i started listening to jawaiian reggae , and got really interested in hawai'i. after reading about the culture , and liking the music even more ... i really wanted to be hawaiian , and thought about how cool it would be if people could change or pick out their ancestry. which is totally not possible...... but its a entertaining thought.
                            Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
                              i really wanted to be hawaiian , and thought about how cool it would be if people could change or pick out their ancestry. which is totally not possible...... but its a entertaining thought.
                              Then again, ask Ward Churchill. Heh heh.

Comment

Working...
                              X