Mixed races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed races

I know that Hawaii is one huge melting pot, but I'm lost here.

My older brother (who's a serious genious, attending college in Michigan) has a girlfriend! He's the last person that I expected to have a girlfriend, but from what my Mom was told, his and her friends hooked them up when they were in New Jersey. She's Black/Japanese ( ) and originally from Maui (so my brother will go there on the 31st for New Years and come back).

The fact that he has a girlfriend is still sinking in, but I'm also worried about the long distance relationship they have, and the fact that on the race scale, they're completely different (I guess when you're in love, race doesn't matter).

But I'm also worried, that if they break up, then my brother will be raging (he's not the type that takes things lightly; if he's missing a screw while building a shelf, then he'll blow his top).

How should I take this? Its hard to picture my brother in love, but I guess we have to let him go and let him explore his adult life.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Mixed races

My guess is that nothing your family can say or do is going to deter your brother from pursuing this relationship, so just accept that he's got a girlfriend. Don't even worry about her ethnicity, just be grateful she's from a local family. More than likely, she's the daughter of an ex- serviceman who was stationed in Japan or somewhere in Asia and that's how she ended up being black/Japanese (i.e., there aren't many black families on Maui). But I bet she's also very stunning (most hapa people are) and well educated.

The romance either will or won't run its course, so the best thing to keep peace in the family is to welcome her as part of the family so your brother doesn't get all huhu with you.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Adri, is the problem that you can't imagine your brother in a relationship, or that you have a problem with his girlfriend not being Filipino? I'm a little unclear here on what your concern is.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Adri, is the problem that you can't imagine your brother in a relationship,
        If you know him since the beginning, then you'll know that nothing satisfies him, and he always is shooting higher than the average person (or sometimes higher than that).

I'll try and accept it, but I hope that this relationship will last.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Maybe dis wahine going teach your bruddah to chill and not be so perfect, yeah? Slow down and smell da flowers lidat and be more patient. Eventually if dey serious, dey going figa out one way to be in da same place at da same time. Odda wise, your bruddah just going chalk it up to experience! If he ova 21, den nobody can tell him what to do anyway.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Adri, brah, loosen up. No worry. Your brother is an adult and can make his own decisions. If he's never been in love before, well there's a first time for everything. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It sounds like you're mother-henning him, which seems kind of a strange thing for a little brother to do.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456

My older brother (who's a serious genious, attending college in Michigan) has a girlfriend! He's the last person that I expected to have a girlfriend, but from what my Mom was told, his and her friends hooked them up when they were in New Jersey. She's Black/Japanese ( ) and originally from Maui (so my brother will go there on the 31st for New Years and come back).

The fact that he has a girlfriend is still sinking in, but I'm also worried about the long distance relationship they have, and the fact that on the race scale, they're completely different (I guess when you're in love, race doesn't matter).

But I'm also worried, that if they break up, then my brother will be raging (he's not the type that takes things lightly; if he's missing a screw while building a shelf, then he'll blow his top).

How should I take this? Its hard to picture my brother in love, but I guess we have to let him go and let him explore his adult life.
              Yes! Wish him and her all the very Best!
              My wife and I are definitely different races. She's Fijian and I'm a caucasian, born in New York and lived in Hawai'i since one year old. We learn from everyone that spends time in "our" lives. I've learned so much from her and I hope she has from me. Hawai'i is the most accepting place in the world for inter-racial relationships. So if they decide Michigan just ain't right...
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Dear Adrian, When you experience first LOVE, you will truly understand why. Until that time, respect your brother's decision and accept her with open arms into your family.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ooo...a necro posting

Hey Michigan is cool!

'bout 28 degrees right now....

Comment

How should I take this?
                    I don't understand the question.

Actually, I find it baffling.

Comment

Doc -

I hope you have learned since you first posted this message.

I myself am mixed... my son now has over 8 different blends in him!!!
                      Everything from Popolo to Japanese to Hawaiian and Haole!

People are beautiful...

If you remember these four words.... Acceptance Respect Affection and Support... then no matter what race someone is... it shouldn't matter.

Comment

If everybody is a mixed race, who will attend Kamehameha? LOL
                        Racism, and racial separatism (including cultural separtism) is very bad !!!!
                        Hawaii is the most racially divided place I've ever seen.
                        I bet a dollar to a donut hole that the liberal 9th Circuit Court upholds Kam racial admissions policy. Imagine a school where caucasian blood quantum was measured. These are crazy days we livin in. Old Lincoln is prolly rollin over in his grave.
                        One Planet....No Color
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Caucasian blood is quantum measured, that's who started the whole BQ thing.

Lincoln really wouldn't care:

http://library.thinkquest.org/J0112391/myth_8.htm

You want a world with one color? Rip the eyes out of everone's heads, wrap em in bubble wrap and only type to each other. No physical interactions at all.

As long as there are differences of any sort there will be conflicts based on them.

Comment

Like Peshkwe says, the kanaka maoli weren't the ones who established the blood quantum ruling. So why are the kanaka maoli and Native Americans wrong to try to exploit this concept anyway? They have had so much taken away from them (actually, they gave most of it away because they were so trusting and certain groups of people took advantage of that generosity). Even many people who don't have a single drop of kanaka maoli blood believe it's fair for Kamehameha Schools to have their admission policy. It's not about racism per se as much as it is trying to preserve a culture which was once dominant in the islands.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                            X