Friend's computer broken. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend's computer broken. HELP!!

First of all, the specs (from what I can remember)
    MSI K8T Neo mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ processor
    1gb of RAM (2x 512mb)
    120gb SATA HD (old)
    200gb SATA (just installed)
    ATI Sapphire 9200 video card

He got it yesterday (after being in the hospital for a few months, then he got a room in my house), and his friend said that when he turned it on, he saw smoke and the HD was getting hot. So I did some research, checked the video card (it worked in my computer, except that it didn't support the resolution I had), but I didn't check the HD, because it was a different interface than mine.

I recommended to get another HD and I just installed it tonight.

After all that, it didn't want to boot up, POST, or nothing; the monitor's standby mode kicked in a few seconds after, and I already checked it on another computer. The lights, fans, processor, they all work, so I assume that the PSU is good.

Should I swamp my PSU with his to see if that's the problem? Nothing seems burnt, melted or damaged though.

BTW, this is the third place that I'm asking help on, and since this is a local board, then probably someone can come down to Waipahu and check it out (I'm good, but not that good). If you want to come by (it'll be a free service, as we can't afford any other help, other than my older brother who's coming in a few days later) then just PM me or email me (username at gmail.com).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Friend's computer broken. HELP!!

Sounds like a bad power supply. I'd try hooking up a known good power supply and see if anything boots up. If the power supply is bad, it may have smoked the other components. If nothing happens, you may have to get a working motherboard and test each component on the smoked system.

Sad to say it, but a bad power supply is BAD news. I've seen that happen to one of my coworkers boxes. In this case, it took out the motherboard and CPU. The other components were fine though.

When I build new boxes, I spend the bucks to get a GOOD power supply. Getting a cheapo power supply is just asking for issues.

Comment

If the fans are good, then it sure sounds like a bad power supply, especially if you try to power the box up and nothing happens. Would be really bad news if the power supply toasted the motherboard, although I will have to admit that you can get some pretty cheap (but good) motherboards nowadays.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        If the fans are good, then it sure sounds like a bad power supply, especially if you try to power the box up and nothing happens. Would be really bad news if the power supply toasted the motherboard, although I will have to admit that you can get some pretty cheap (but good) motherboards nowadays.

Miulang
        I'll check that out with my PSU (if I can get it to work because I'm having similar problems with my computer; it was making some weird noises, so I was forced to do an emergency shutdown. When I searched on the internet, it pointed to a PSU failing).

Comment

I just finished installing a new PSU (an Antec TruPower 300watt PSU) and it still isn't doing anything.

I replaced the video card with my AIW 9700 video card, and even disconnected the optical drives.

I'm too tired, but I'll try to see if it'll work with either RAM (he has 2x 512mb in there) and if that doesn't work, then I'll use my 2x 512mb of RAM. The only thing I didn't test on his computer, was the processor (but it'll be impossible because mine is a P4 and his is a AMD64).

Comment

Sounds like the board is toast. If the motherboard was fine, you would at least seen some messages during startup.

I wonder if it's possible to get some messages if you were to take out the CPU and memory? My motherboard manual has error descriptions like "No CPU installed" or "No memory installed," so you would think the boards would be able to power up with no CPU/memory installed.

Have you closely examined the motherboard to see if there are any signs of of damage?

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
              Sounds like the board is toast. If the motherboard was fine, you would at least seen some messages during startup.

I wonder if it's possible to get some messages if you were to take out the CPU and memory? My motherboard manual has error descriptions like "No CPU installed" or "No memory installed," so you would think the boards would be able to power up with no CPU/memory installed.

Have you closely examined the motherboard to see if there are any signs of of damage?
              I was thinking about that too on the bus, but then when I connected the hard drive with a new one, it made 8 beeps. I checked what those beeps meant, and it said that it was an error with the video card. I don't know what I did to get those beeps, because its not beeping anymore.

I haven't examined the mobo inside and out (I just visually checked for any damage and where everything was) but I'll do that sometime this week (last week of school, so I have to do concentrate).

Comment

FYI, the new motherboard came via fedex, and it worked!!!

I was reinstalling windows (I somehow can't get into the original OS, so I was installing Windows on a new partition) but then my Mom said that she smelt something smoking, so I turned off the computer just incase. I'm thinking its the processor, as I don't know anything about how much thermal grease should be on the processor.

Comment

Well, if it still smells like something is burning, then there could be something up with the system.

Did you put any thermal grease or any heat transfer material between the CPU and the CPU fan?

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                    Well, if it still smells like something is burning, then there could be something up with the system.

Did you put any thermal grease or any heat transfer material between the CPU and the CPU fan?
                    That's what I'll check later today.

Comment

Yeah you gotta put that grease on like a generous helping of mayo on your ham sandwich. The original term for thermal grease is actually Heatsink compound.

I think at this point if it is the cpu, I'd opt for a mobo/cpu combo thru tigerdirect.com One thing about swapping out parts to troubleshoot is that you could fry a known good component by putting it in a possibly bad circuit. We used to call that "Swaptronics" and it's what a lot of techies do and end up doing more damage then when they started.

Tigerdirect is offering a great deal on a Wintergreen barebones set up for $29.99 after rebates:
                      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...52-3015&seg=16

It's a socket 478 so a decent Celeron or P4 Prescott core should work. I'm thinking of picking one up and just keeping it as a spare for a future build or a replacement just in case. It's a good base to build a decent computer off of where you know you're working with supposedly good components.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X