wanting to relocate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to relocate

Hey everybody Im from Columbus Ohio and Im thinking of relocating to Hawaii . I've been trying to get info on affordalbe housing. I know there has got to be places for the working man to live. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be apreciated.

Re: wanting to relocate

Do lots of research (which, with this post, you've clearly started). Visit more than a few times, and stay for longer than a weekend. And if you're coming here to live and work, rather than to retire and relax, absolutely have your job lined up before you get on that plane.

Is it impossible to just arrive here, and survive by the seat of your pants? Sure. But it's unlikely. "Moving to Hawaii" is not an uncommon fantasy, but the execution is harder than you probably imagine.

Before we can give good answers, though, we need more information. By "Hawaii" do you mean Honolulu (O`ahu), or one of the neighbor islands? That is, are you looking for the amenities of a city, or is a rural environment fine? What's your line of work? Are you single and fancy-free, or will you be coming with a family in tow?

Questions about relocating here come up fairly often in various online fora, and I suggest you seek them out. We have a few here in Islands Ahoy. Check out the extensive archives in soc.culture.hawaii (a USENET group, you can access it via Google Groups). The HawaiiAnswers group I started is fairly young, but already has a few questions and answers archived you might find helpful.

There are also several books on this very topic available. I suggest you borrow or buy, then read, every one. So You Want to Live in Hawaii. Affordable Paradise. Living and Retiring in Hawaii. How to Live in Hawaii on $1000 Per Month. Be sure to read the reader reviews of these books on the Amazon.com site, to see what's outdated, and what's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrodg1964
      Hey everybody Im from Columbus Ohio and Im thinking of relocating to Hawaii . I've been trying to get info on affordalbe housing. I know there has got to be places for the working man to live. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be apreciated.
      Aloha bigrodg2964,

I'm in Dublin, Ohio and I'd love to move to Hawaii too. I'm just having trouble convincing my wife that we should move .

Take a look at Karen's thought process as she was making a decision to move. It's at http://web.archive.org/web/200312201...&i=1281&t=1281 and has been an inspiration to many. Also you might want to join Hawaii.com (it's free) at http://www.hawaii.com and read the "Moving to Hawaii" message board. Karen has a thread there after she moved. See karen in hawaii!!!! (6000 miles from connecticut!) in that message board.
      Mickey E. Sadler
      Dublin, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey
        Aloha bigrodg2964,

I'm in Dublin, Ohio and I'd love to move to Hawaii too. I'm just having trouble convincing my wife that we should move .

Take a look at Karen's thought process as she was making a decision to move. It's at http://web.archive.org/web/200312201...&i=1281&t=1281 and has been an inspiration to many. Also you might want to join Hawaii.com (it's free) at http://www.hawaii.com and read the "Moving to Hawaii" message board. Karen has a thread there after she moved. See karen in hawaii!!!! (6000 miles from connecticut!) in that message board.
        Thanks for the info good luck with your wife mine is on board with the idea.

Comment

Thanks for the info good luck with your wife mine is on board with the idea.
          Make sure you don't burn bridges where you are now because living full time in Hawai'i isn't all maitais and coconut palms. People who have visited and then thought they could manage to live in Hawai'i full time sometimes end up being very disillusioned (yes, even Paradise has pimples) and want like heck to leave the rock after a year or two. If the high cost of living, traffic jams and culture shock don't get to you first.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            living full time in Hawai'i isn't all maitais and coconut palms.
            Miulang
            for me it is!

actually, no it isn't.

It's Hinano beer, Maitais and coconut palm.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              for me it is!

actually, no it isn't.

Yeah, dat's because you local, so you know what it's like. And you not going get sunburned either (even without SP50000 sun block).

Miulang

Eh, still get Primo?
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                for me it is!

actually, no it isn't.

I know no place is perfect but we have bad trafic here to but when I look out my window I see dirty snow and trees with no leaves. Things are more expensive but I'll look at it as a luxery tax. I have lived in Florida, California and Hawaii. I love the ocean and beachs. I know that the happest times in my life was when I lived by the ocean. I need the salt in my blood.

Comment

Eh, still get Primo?
                  no mo da kine li dat. da buggah steh all make die dead!
                  azzhwhy hahd, eh.
                  primo warriors cannot have their breakfast of champions any more!

(look for the complete history in da upcoming book.)

Comment

I have lived in Florida, California and Hawaii. I love the ocean and beachs. I know that the happest times in my life was when I lived by the ocean. I need the salt in my blood.
                    Just be prepared for the fact that even though all the beaches are owned by the state,
                    at some beaches only locals are welcomed, and even at that, you have to know the people hanging around there or you could suffer dire consequences. This is especially true of certain surfing beaches on Oahu.

Miulang

Comment

Just be prepared for the fact that even though all the beaches are owned by the state,
                      at some beaches only locals are welcomed, and even at that, you have to know the people hanging around there or you could suffer dire consequences. This is especially true of certain surfing beaches on Oahu.

Miulang
                      Thanks for the advice but I get along with most people. I come from a rough end of town and can handle myself pretty well but I don't think that would be nessary. Like I said I can get along with anybody. If you give respect you get it. I realize this is there home but I would like to make it mine to one day.

Comment

Thanks for the advice but I get along with most people. I come from a rough end of town and can handle myself pretty well but I don't think that would be nessary. Like I said I can get along with anybody. If you give respect you get it. I realize this is there home but I would like to make it mine to one day.
                        You can be the friendliest person in the whole world, but they're still gonna chase you off some of the surfing beaches that the locals consider "their own" because you'll always be a "haole" in their minds, no matter how long you're there. It has to do a lot with the color of your skin and your attitude. Even local people stay away from certain beaches. The best advice I have is to find out where those beaches are, and just stay away from them period.

Miulang

Comment

Bigrodg1964, whenever I give advice to someone thinking of moving or visiting here, I state upfront that I often focus on the negative, simply to make sure there are no nasty surprises. Perhaps that's what Miulang is doing. But I certainly don't think things are really as bad as any given USENET thread or online forum makes it out to be.

The friendliest people in Hawaii have better things to do than rant online, I imagine. And in my USENET days, at least, the strong discouragement is often influenced by a slight case of selfishness. After all, who'd want to share something as great as Hawaii? (They say Seattle gives itself a bad weather rap on purpose, just to keep Californians from moving north!)

I've lived here my whole life, and have never stumbled into (nor can I actually name) any of these "local only" beaches. I'm sure they exist, but I imagine you have to go looking for them. The territoriality is most frequently linked with surfing, which I don't do, anyway.

You're certainly going to run into some bad elements. I won't say there's absolutely no built in distrust of caucasians in some communities. My wife is from Florida, and she loves it here... but she's had a few stink-eye moments in her 12 or so years here. But as long as you don't have a chip on your shoulder, you'll do fine.

"If you give respect you get it," as you say. Though, your "rough end of town" is probably worse than anything you'll find here. I certainly wouldn't come expecting that degree of hostility.

Your best bet might be to seek out others who've made the same move. We can only say how things look to us, not to a genuine newcomer. If you were moving to the Big Island, I know there's a thriving online community of transplants you could contact. Recently I helped a guy from Alaska who found me online make a home in Honolulu, and you might try dropping him a line as well.

Comment

Common sense usually goes a long way and what Pzarquon says is the "unwritten" rule. If you go looking for trouble and are pushy you'll find the trouble...easing in slowly is the best way and soon a slot will open up. Cool head always.
                            Retired Senior Member

Comment

You can be the friendliest person in the whole world, but they're still gonna chase you off some of the surfing beaches that the locals consider "their own" because you'll always be a "haole" in their minds, no matter how long you're there. It has to do a lot with the color of your skin and your attitude. Even local people stay away from certain beaches. The best advice I have is to find out where those beaches are, and just stay away from them period.

Miulang
                              I wrote in an earlier thread about a news story that made the mainland papers about how local gangs will terrorize people who they feel don't belong on "their" beaches.

"In the North Pacific, October arouses the season's first storms, which in turn generate the swells that bring life - and crowds to Pipeline, the famously shallow and hard breaking surf spot on Oahu's north shore. Ghastly wipeouts commonly occur here, but the newcomers to the iconic break have more to worry about these days than merely blowing the drop and bouncing off the flesh-eating reef. In recent years, locals stationed at a house overlooking the break have taken it upon themselves to enforce, through intimidation and sometimes fists, the unofficial rules designated to maintain order at surf zones worldwide. Visiting surfers who interfer with (or heaven forbid, endanger) a Pipleline regular often end up getting chased off and/or smacked around."

If you search for the thread "The Other Side of Aloha" you will see what I'm talking about. Locals who don't surf know which of the North Shore beaches to stay clear of. Places like Ala Moana and Waikiki are safe.
                              Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X