Good Guys coming to Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Guys coming to Honolulu

Lucky you. You're getting a branch of Good Guys in the Pearl Highlands Shopping Center. Good Guys sell high end electronics (computers, TVs, etc but not too many digital cameras). They will give you an alternative to what you guys now have, but frankly I rarely shop there. I don't like Circuit City or Best Buy either. I don't like their merchandise mix. Now if you guys get a Fry out there, then I would forget all about Good Guys, Best Buy and Circuit City. Fry has some of the best prices for computers, TVs and audio equipment, and their selection is huge. They also have impressive inventories of CDs and DVDs and software. Fry is to electronics as Sears used to be for everything else.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Good Guys coming to Honolulu

Originally posted by Miulang
    Lucky you. You're getting a branch of Good Guys.... Fry has some of the best prices for computers, TVs and audio equipment, and their selection is huge. They also have impressive inventories of CDs and DVDs and software. Fry is to electronics as Sears used to be for everything else.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02p.html

Good Guys is... well, sucky.
    IF... i were to choose which bigbox were to be placed here, frys would be it.
    I would like to see the manhattan beach one dropped right down here, in toto.

Comment

I'd prefer a Fry's, too. I must not be much of an alpha geek, 'cause I'd never even heard much about Good Guys (I thought they were more at the Sears/Walmart mass-market level, but they're described as aiming for the high-end, early adopter crowd).

In the short term, it's Best Buy that I'm looking forward to check out. Circuit City and CompUSA just don't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I'd prefer a Fry's, too. I must not be much of an alpha geek, 'cause I'd never even heard much about Good Guys (I thought they were more at the Sears/Walmart mass-market level, but they're described as aiming for the high-end, early adopter crowd).

In the short term, it's Best Buy that I'm looking forward to check out. Circuit City and CompUSA just don't cut it.

Good guys is alll over da mainland.
        best buy, i dun care about. Checked their pricing on the new HD Sony and VideoLife, round da corner from Roxy/crazyshirts/starblecchs auahi, they have it at a great price. I always prefer the local vendor. MUCH better one on one service. If best buy, (or any other corporate bigbox) say... hypothetically had it for about one of two hundred less, i would still go to videolife. Show da locals loyalty, that keeps them alive. and they show their support to you a good customer. NOTHING equals that value.

***addendum;
        just checked;
        best buy's price on that Sony video camera is $15. MORE than videolife's price.
        Last edited by kimo55; January 25, 2005, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Good Guys is... well, sucky.
          IF... i were to choose which bigbox were to be placed here, frys would be it.
          I would like to see the manhattan beach one dropped right down here, in toto.
          Hey, that's the store down Sepulveda Blvd from LAX, yeah? That's the Fry's I was thinking of too when I read this thread. It's the only Frys I've ever been in. I remember it to be a very cluttered store, with all kinds of stuff jammed into narrow aisles. I could spend alot of time exploring the deals there.

Comment

I wonder if that'll spell competition for the compUSA in Waikele?

And I hope their pricing is cheaper than compUSA (even though its owned by them).

Now the question: Who to work for? Good Guys, or Best Buy? (If I don't get a job as an RN or something similar)
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              I wonder if that'll spell competition for the compUSA in Waikele?

And I hope their pricing is cheaper than compUSA (even though its owned by them).

Now the question: Who to work for? Good Guys, or Best Buy? (If I don't get a job as an RN or something similar)
              Bess way Adrian, is to go to their corporate websites and look under the "Employment" tab. You can figure out from there what the jobs are like (even though there might not be any in Hawaii at the moment) and what the bennies are. They're both national chains, so their salaries would be fairly consistent no matter what store was hiring. I don't think for retail they give you a COLA (cost of living allowance). I think only the Federal government employees get COLA for living and working in Hawai'i.

Miulang

P.S. you're smart. Why don't you see if you can take the next postal service exam? If you qualify for a job, you're in for life and the bennies are good, even though sometimes the politics sucks (my dad was a postmaster and my bro still works for the postal service)
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Bess way Adrian, is to go to their corporate websites and look under the "Employment" tab. You can figure out from there what the jobs are like (even though there might not be any in Hawaii at the moment) and what the bennies are. They're both national chains, so their salaries would be fairly consistent no matter what store was hiring. I don't think for retail they give you a COLA (cost of living allowance). I think only the Federal government employees get COLA for living and working in Hawai'i.

Miulang

P.S. you're smart. Why don't you see if you can take the next postal service exam? If you qualify for a job, you're in for life and the bennies are good, even though sometimes the politics sucks (my dad was a postmaster and my bro still works for the postal service)
                Nah, too much work hazard (anthrax?) and I picture the Post office like the one in Men In Black 2 (sorry, I didn't see that much movies): boring, repetitive, and filled with aliens (the last one I made up [I hope])

And I see the compusa and goodguys resemblance in the website. I just hope that the two stores don't look the same on the inside.

Comment

Back to Good Guys...

I missed it on first read, but apparently this giant combo Good Guys/CompUSA store (following the iffy WalMart/Sam's Club two-story model seen on Keeaumoku) is going to be planted at Pearl Highlands Center. Traffic in that area is already a disaster, and Best Buy is already coming up a few blocks down. I know planners have dreams of a retail corridor that rivals what's happening in Iwilei, but frankly, Pearl City can't swallow it.

I also wonder if they've done other Good Guys/CompUSA combination stores. 'Cause it seems to me the product differentiation is pretty weak, and it's hard to create the illusion of competition when you're such close neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                    Nah, too much work hazard (anthrax?) and I picture the Post office like the one in Men In Black 2 (sorry, I didn't see that much movies): boring, repetitive, and filled with aliens (the last one I made up [I hope])

And I see the compusa and goodguys resemblance in the website. I just hope that the two stores don't look the same on the inside.
                    But there's more security working for the post office than with retail. In retail, you will be paid a piddly salary (maybe a little more than miminum wage if you're lucky) + a commission probably. You won't make enough money just on the base pay. So you will have to hustle your okole. And you could get laid off any time. So unless you like pushing yourself on people who may not want your help, retailing is probably not what you want to do.

If you get a job in the postal service, you can transfer to different post offices, and the starting pay is good and the benefits are too. I don't think I've ever heard of anybody getting laid off from the post office (fired for being weird yes, but not laid off because there wasn't enough business). Plus with your computer skills, I bet you could get a nice job inside a post office instead of being on the road as a carrier.

Miulang

Comment

So, I expect the construction at Pearl Highlands to be a Good Guy's/CompUSA?

But will it spell the end to the compusa store at Waikele?

And here's an interesting trivial fact: if compusa will be there, then prices for networking cable will fall because of competition. I remembered someone saying that across the street Home Depot sells some Cat5s (and possibly other networking goodies) and compusa isn't known for their cheap network cables either.
                      Last edited by adrian; April 27, 2006, 09:32 PM.

Comment

When I lived in California - I spent many $$$ at Good Guys. Never was disappointed in product or service. I will happily shop with them again when they open locally. I still have a TV & microwave I bought from them over 10 years ago.

Fran
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

like condos paving over everything in Honolulu and killing our views and lifestyle, the proliferation of me-too bigbox corporate chains entering our lil island will be the death of us.
                          Just so we can get a little better service than the other guys, and maybe we can save 3 bux per dvd player and 78 cents on a cd. We say bring it on.
                          Jezeus kee rice. so sad. too bad.

Comment

and for those very good reasons, Kimo - I don't shop at Best Buy, Circuit City or Home Depot. If I need hardware stuff - I still shop at City Mill. I will go to a local owned store before one from outside Hawaii first. But, when Good Guys gets here - I will shop with them. I won't be embarrassed or 'shamed to do so. On my very limited budget, that $3 I might save will buy me a pound of hamburger that will feed me for a couple of days. The "Paving of Paradise" has many causes, not just because of big box stores. It's called greed - as in, lets see how many cracker box houses we can squeeze onto some old sugar land & let all the immigrants that have to replicate their mainland homes buy them for inflated prices. Then, lets take THAT profit & build more. That's what has happened here - and then people wonder why our climate has changed - so then they have to go to the big box store & buy more air conditioners! Progress has already happened & it's very ugly.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Of all the consumer electronics stores that I have access to, Good Guys is the one that has the smallest selection and their prices are not that much different from Best Buy or Circuit City. If I'm too lazy to drive the 25 miles to get to the only Fry's in Puget Sound (they have the best deals on electronics and computer gear), I will generally shop at Best Buy because that's nearby. All the independent shops have fled the city and gone into the suburbs. I have sometimes bought stuff on sale at Office Depot and Staples too.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X