Aloha oe e Mahalo, 1st Lt. Nainoa Hoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha oe e Mahalo, 1st Lt. Nainoa Hoe

1st Lt. Nainoa Hoe, son of Hawai'i and a member of the Stryker Brigade based at Ft. Lewis, WA, was killed in action in Iraq last week trying to secure an area to make it safe for civilians to vote tomorrow.

His life and death are mourned by people in Washington State and Hawai'i. His spirit will live on in his brother Nakoa, who will be headed for Iraq soon. He was proud to be a son of Hawai'i and equally proud to be serving his country.

Miulang

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...2896_2005jan27
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Aloha oe e Mahalo, 1st Lt. Nainoa Hoe

RIP SON OF HAWAI'I NEI

1st Lt. Nainoa Hoe

Love and Aloha,

1stwahine,momthreesoldiers
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I live in the Seattle area. I was fortunate to be able to attend his memorial service at Fort Lewis here in WA state. I'm a distant relative and have never met him--but I'm a member of the Hoe family and wanted to be there to "represent."

I've never been to a military funeral before, other than the graveyard service for my dad at Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery some years back. I was so impressed by the dignity and honor shown in the service, and was proud of how much Nainoa's men loved him and how well-respected he was by so many.

I entered the Main Post Chapel late as usual (hey, I'm Hawaiian!), and so was seated in the back end of the chapel among all of the soldiers. I can tell you that when they did the gun salute and the playing of Taps, there were many tears that were shed in the back of that chapel.

Age 27 is so young to die, yet to have accomplished so much, loved so much, and have been loved back as much is a full life.

God bless our soldiers, and particularly the Hawaii Army National Guard 29th Separate Infantry Brigade that just recently deployed to Iraq.
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Kewl! Did you hear about the funeral service they had at Kawaiaha'o Church for him earlier this week? It was soooo awesome! I got chicken skin just reading about how his service honored both his ties with the Army and his love for Hawai'i.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln14p.html
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey, Miulang. Nice to see a fellow Seattleite (or whatever we're called!).

My mom attended the funeral at Kawaiaha'o and then yesterday attended the burial. My aunt, who has a kid boarding at Kamehameha, said his body was brought to the school before burial. He really was given great honor.

My mom said that the funeral service was amazing, that at the beginning of it my cousin (a 3rd cousin, I think), Liko, did a Hawaiian chant. She said there was this feeling in the air she couldn't describe, but that she just felt such a sadness and a heavy heart as he performed the chant.

Aloha.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Hui U'ilani!
            You know, there are quite a few expats from Hawai'i who live in the Seattle area. Some of us (those who frequent the Ohanalanai) get together in the summer and have a manini ho'oleaule'a and have a great time. Go over to www.ohanalanai.com and check out "AlohaWorld Gatherings". There's also a huge AlohaWorld party in September, which will be held the night before the BIG Ho'olaule'a in the downtown area of Las Vegas.

Maybe we'll see you on the Ohanalanai, too, yeah? A hui hou.

Miulang

Comment

Miulang, I know you enjoy inviting every new HawaiiThreads member to the Ohana Lanai, but let's try and keep this thread on topic.

Comment

Working...
              X