This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crowded and exploited

h0wZiT. i'm a kid from Guam. but i really like hawai'i , the people seem so nice and the culture is ideaL. i think its the best place in the world. but i heared its crowded there. i was wondering if a person from another place can become 'kanaka'. and if anyone can tell me what a true hawaiian is , i'd like to know. mahalo.
    Ebb And Flow

Re: crowded and exploited

Originally posted by newroots
    h0wZiT. i'm a kid from Guam. but i really like hawai'i , the people seem so nice and the culture is ideaL. i think its the best place in the world. but i heared its crowded there. i was wondering if a person from another place can become 'kanaka'. and if anyone can tell me what a true hawaiian is , i'd like to know. mahalo.
    Aloha and a Good Morning! I'm happy that you like Hawai'i and feel that it is the best place in the World. I do too! As with ever place, we have good people and bad ones too. The beauty of our islands is perfect unlike it's people. Yes, Honolulu is very crowded and our country areas are begining to grow at a rapid rate. Our outer islands still retain some old style Hawai'i but also is fast becoming a cement jungle as well.

As for your questions on a person becoming a kanaka and what is a true Hawaiian, you will get many definitions this morning. I'll leave it to them. GOD BLESS YOU DEAR CHILD!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

i look fw to what the others say too...thanks in advance
      There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

i was wondering if a person from another place can become 'kanaka'. and if anyone can tell me what a true hawaiian is , i'd like to know. mahalo.

first we must define your terms.
        What are you calling a "kanaka"?

what is a "true Hawaiian"
        as opposed to a "false Hawaiian"?
        what is the implication?

In ancient days, kanaka was a subject of the cheif.
        the average islander. laborer. a person. Man. Individual.
        (according to the context of course.)
        Now the word implies a person of Hawaiian ancestry.
        One with Hawaiian blood.

so, obviously one can't decide and then "become kanaka".
        It's as if you wake up one day, bolt outta bed and throw open the curtains and proclaim, "today, I am the dalai lama!"

as for "True Hawaiian", who, esp. a non Hawaiian would judge this?
        Could judge this?
        Who would even come up with a moniker such as this?
        again; define your terms.
        Last edited by kimo55; February 25, 2005, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Good morning Kimo, remember this is a kid...so act accordingly and teach him well!

Much Aloha,
          Lynn V
          Last edited by 1stwahine; February 25, 2005, 07:17 AM. Reason: Practicing...

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Good morning Kimo, remember this is a kid...so act accordingly and teach him well!
            yezz mazzah.

waiddaminit! act like an accordian?!

wait. how you know it is a kid and a him?

I believe being a teenager, our Guamite, at age 17, can handle most of what I offer.

YOU are free to teach, as well, aunty...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              yezz mazzah.

waiddaminit! act like an accordian?!
              accordion? not talking about an instrument.
              Wake-up! You still in the daze.....

Originally posted by kimo55
              wait. how you know it is a kid and a him?
              Gut feeling....about 9-12 yrs. old.

Aloha Kid! How old are you? I think you are very intellegent to be asking such questions! Good Luck!

Comment

aloha. sorry i'm replying so late. i'm 16 , not 9-12 lol. for a kanaka , i thought since , the hawaiian culture and bloodline was kind of dying , a person can become one. but your right , if you dont have the blood than you cant , by definition , become a 'kanaka'. for a true hawaiian. i dont really know any hawaiians. i only know one. thats why i was asking what is a true hawaiian. heres a more clear question. if someone learns hawaiian culture , looks hawaiian , speaks the language , and gets along wid em good , can they call themselves a 'hawaiian'?
                Ebb And Flow

Comment

heres a more clear question. if someone learns hawaiian culture , looks hawaiian , speaks the language , and gets along wid em good , can they call themselves a 'hawaiian'?
                  I get it now: you're joking, right?
                  Cuz obviously the answer to your question is not just "no" but "Hell no!".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

damn. i was looking foward to becoming hawaiian. why does the answer have to be no though. dont some haoles consider themselves hawaiian , like dog chapman.
                    Ebb And Flow

Comment

damn. i was looking foward to becoming hawaiian. why does the answer have to be no though. dont some haoles consider themselves hawaiian , like dog chapman.

next week, will you proclaim yourself to be a brain surgeon?
                      and in May '05, will you be the president of the united states? while also claiming to be a Cherokee Indian?

"why does the answer have to be no"
                      tha't life. and the nature of the subject.
                      read previous posts.

"dont some haoles consider themselves hawaiian"
                      uuhhh... who exactly claimed this, and what exactly did they claim?!

"like dog chapman"
                      do not even go there.

"if someone learns hawaiian culture , looks hawaiian..."
                      do you think Chapman looks Hawaiian?!

"damn. i was looking foward to becoming hawaiian"
                      (talk to Shirley MacLaine. Maybe you could put in a request for a subsequent incarnation.)
                      here's one clue; profaning the race/concept, not good.
                      and assuming it is some kinda "costume" you drape over yer superficial frame.

You need to learn more of different cultures. and the world in general.
                      "unclear on the concept", indeed.

yep.
                      as Lika sez:
                      ya gotta be joking.

OK, I got it. if yer REALLY serious, ask these same questions to leaders of the Hawaiian community:
                      Uncle Charlie at Mo'olelo.
                      V.H. Takamine.
                      H.K. Trask at U of H.
                      do a search and find relevant web sites. IF you are serious.
                      If not, you are most emphatically not serious.
                      and don't even think of querying Serge King and his ilk on this. THEY think you reword and repackage Hawaiian culture, you are spreading the word, and no, they are doing more harm than good.
                      (not that they ever assumed to be assisting indigenous Polynesian cultures.)
                      Last edited by kimo55; February 28, 2005, 01:26 PM.

Comment

tOLD YA HE WAS A kid!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Quote:

"I think you are very intellegent to be asking such questions! Good Luck!"

"tOLD YA HE WAS A kid!"
                          aunty, your insight and perception is surpassed only by your teaching and guidance. well done.
                          Last edited by kimo55; February 28, 2005, 12:53 PM.

Comment

so therez no way someone can become hawaiian. even if their dedicated to the culture and look like one. sorry for all the dumb questions but. didnt those european people become hawaiian when the bought the island ni'ihau.
                            Ebb And Flow

Comment

I don't have a drop of Hawaiian blood in me but I'd like to think that I've got a Hawaiian heart.

Comment

Working...
                              X