Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello to you all. My wife and I are priveleged to be visiting your Islands this next week. We have some relatives on Oahu, and will be splitting our time with them and the hotel on Waikiki. It is our first trip anywhere special, translated not visiting Family . I work with a guy who was born in Honolulu and has been away from there for a few years. One of the things he was not sure on is how safe some of the waterfall pools where to swim in. We are not arrogant people from the main land. We are just small town folks looking to spend some time in paradise. Any comments/ insights would be appreciated. Also we are interested in going to the swap meet. What days of the week is it taking place? Thanks you, Bill

Re: Hello

Originally posted by Hillbilly
    Hello to you all. My wife and I are priveleged to be visiting your Islands this next week. We have some relatives on Oahu, and will be splitting our time with them and the hotel on Waikiki. It is our first trip anywhere special, translated not visiting Family . I work with a guy who was born in Honolulu and has been away from there for a few years. One of the things he was not sure on is how safe some of the waterfall pools where to swim in. We are not arrogant people from the main land. We are just small town folks looking to spend some time in paradise. Any comments/ insights would be appreciated. Also we are interested in going to the swap meet. What days of the week is it taking place? Thanks you, Bill
    Aloha Bill! I'm sure you'll have a great time here in the islands.

Since you have probably heard about Honolulu from your relatives and your coworker, you'll be spared the very first shock that some tourists have: that Waikīkī is crowded and not very green, and that Honolulu is a fair-sized city, not a sleepy tropical oasis. Since you and your wife are "small town folks" you will probably be very aware of this. However, remember that Waikīkī is not all of Honolulu, and Honolulu is not all of O'ahu. If you get out of the city, especially to the Windward and Wai'anae coasts, you will find a rural side of the island that is hard to imagine when you're stuck in a Waikīkī high-rise hotel.

The swap meet? You're probably thinking of the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, aren't you? Here are the details. The Kam Super Swap Meet, at the site of the old Kam Drive-In across from Pearlridge Center, is a little smaller, but also fun. If you like poking around and trying stuff that you can't find back home, you might also want to check out some of the local farmer's markets, or maybe Chinatown, for tropical fruits.

Unfortunately, these days Hawaiian freshwater streams and waterfalls and ponds often have leptospirosis bacteria in them, so it's not a good idea to enter them if you've got breaks in your skin, and you generally shouldn't drink from them either. Sorry. Here's the official warning. People do it all the time and stay healthy, but this is one lottery you don't want to win. Last year a hiker died from lepto, but that's very uncommon.

What kinds of things are you interested in doing? There's a lot to do here, but it's hard to make recommendations without getting a better idea of what you'd like.

Comment

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads! Wishing you and your family a beautiful and safe visit to our islands! So much thing to see, so it depends what you're interested in. Advice: Try all kinds of ethnic foods that us Local's Kaukau (eat)!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies. We will have to go to one of the Farmers markets for sure. We are going to do some active things while we are there as well as just relax and lay around.

I know it may not be very populor but have any of you been to Nashville Waikiki. Thought we would check that out.

We want to rent Kayaks in Kailua and in general take in the natural beauty of the island so definately some trips out of Honolulu will be in order.

Is it worht the dinner cruise just for the Sunset view or can you get mostly the same experience as far as the sunset goes by staing on shore and maybe going up Diamond Head or some other better spot.

I have looked on the net for different companies for parasailing, Jetskiing and Horseback riding ,However your opinions are appreciated.

Jason my friend of course recommended going to Maui or another island to get away, we decided to stay on Oahu as we have family there. He also said do not fall for the hype in the net adds on some of these things.

If any of this stuff sounds like it is not worth doing or is over rated please tell me.

I know how hard it would be to get a good idea what it would be like to come here to Alaska with out someone on the grond filling in the blanks so to speak. Again thanks for your time.

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies. We will have to go to one of the Farmers markets for sure. We are going to do some active things while we are there as well as just relax and lay around.
          Here's a good listing of farmer's markets in Hawai'i.

Is it worht the dinner cruise just for the Sunset view or can you get mostly the same experience as far as the sunset goes by staing on shore and maybe going up Diamond Head or some other better spot.
          The view is definitely different from off shore, but whether it's worth the money depends on your preferences.

I have looked on the net for different companies for parasailing, Jetskiing and Horseback riding ,However your opinions are appreciated.
          Sounds like you're definitely one of the more active types! I can't really comment on those particular activities because as a local, I've never actually done them. I generally stick to the stuff that you can do yourself without major expenses, like swimming, surfing, hiking...

From your profile it sounds like you're a pretty fit guy, being a firefighter and all. If you're up for hiking, you might want to try one of the Ko'olau ridge hikes; they give you amazing views. In order of ascending difficulty, no pun intended, I suggest Mariners Ridge (Kaluanui), Hawai'i Loa Ridge, Wa'ahila Ridge (Mt. Olympus), or Lanipo. For more details on hikes, check out sites like Backyard O'ahu, the Sierra Club, and the Hawai'i Trail and Mountain Club. And here's a great hike story archive by a veteran O'ahu hiker.

Comment

Glen thanks for the links. I will be looking them over more closely. I am trying to not get too exited yet but I am definateley ready to get outa here for a while. This is what it looks like here.
            Attached Files

Comment

Glen thanks for the links. I will be looking them over more closely. I am trying to not get too exited yet but I am definateley ready to get outa here for a while. This is what it looks like here.
              Whoo, that's a lotta snow. Here, check out these Honolulu webcams for a preview of what you'll be seeing soon.

Comment

My husband's Auntie, Uncle and cousins live in Anchorage. So it was nice to see how it's looking up there around now. Mahalo!

And I hope you enjoy your visit to O'ahu! Thaw yourself out, get some color, and take in all the sights, sounds, and smells. I agree about trying out all the different kinds of foods in the melting pot of cuisine that is the Hawaiian Islands. I know I'm TERRIBLY homesick right now and miss my ohana but then secondly DA GRINDZ! Get to Helena's or Ono Hawaiian Foods if you can for some REAL kine' Hawaiian grindz.

- Cousin Lei
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Except, be careful about getting that color. Hawai'i is a long way south of Alaska! We're around the same latitude as Mexico City and Puerto Rico, and the sun is fierce here. As a kid I was astonished that tourists would deliberately roast themselves lobster red in the hot sun. Didn't they know it would all just burn and peel off in a few days?

Comment

That's true Glen. Make sure to be SPF safe
                    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Thanks for the replies I am getting anxious to go. I have been tanning to try and prepare a little however I am planning on staying encased in spf 45 most of the time. I would not want to ruin my vacation, and I burn easily. Thanks to you all.

Comment

Aloha!If you're here on April 2nd, Hawai'i Stories and Hawai'i Thread's will be having our first combined Pot Lock Picnic at Ala Moana Park which is near Waikiki. It will be @ Magic Island. Just look for the sign. Ask admin for futher information. Hope to see you there.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for there input. We just got back this last Sunday and had an amazing time. You all that live there are lucky indeed.

Comment

Working...
                          X