Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfing

hey i was just wondering how difficult it is to learn how to surf? I've never even been to the ocean so it would be all new to me.

Re: Surfing

I have no idea on how hard it is to surf, but I suppose you do know how to swim? You have no trouble maintaining balance?
    Last edited by helen; March 22, 2005, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Yes, being a strong ocean swimmer would definitely help. Ocean waves are way different than splashing in some pool.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well im no olympic swimmer but I do know how to swim. But I have never swam in big waves though. As far as balance I think im ok. I snowboard and wakeboard so I have experience with boards.

Comment

Originally posted by kylertz
          Well im no olympic swimmer but I do know how to swim. But I have never swam in big waves though. As far as balance I think im ok. I snowboard and wakeboard so I have experience with boards.
          I think you'll be alright. Start off with the small stuff first like Waikiki... the rides are long and the waves aren't aggro..

Comment

surfing is fun. try to learn control first. you need to sit on your board and swing 180 when a wave comes. then try not to drop in on anyone, especially hawaiian natives, dark skinned. i heard they kinda frisky. stay on your board and keep it in your grasp even when you bail. try not to shoot your board at anyones head. then you can surf the wave and do whatever you want. Good luck.

Comment

Learn to surf. It'll change your life. One good wave, you're hooked for life. Kind of like a good golf shot.
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

As a 20-something malahini wahine learning surf 23 years ago, I figured something out really quick: be sweet, let the big bodies catch the sets, smile if you've got the nerve to drop in and ride that wave as long as you can. By the time you get back out, if you ticked anyone off, they forgot it already. I'm from New Jersey, so I naturally have a big mouth and don't take sh*t from anyone, but I think my wide-open friendliness, curiousity and drive has won me over. Eventually, I got pretty darn good and used to surf in all the long board contests. The best I had ever done was finished 2nd in the China Uemura event, only losing to the late and gracious Rella Sunn, Queen of Makaha. My being haole never really seemed to get in the way of my joy of surfing. Locals who got the idea that my enthusiasm was genuine took to me. I think surfing was my ticket to many an ohana.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                  Learn to surf. It'll change your life. One good wave, you're hooked for life. Kind of like a good golf shot.
                  Amen

Comment

I love watching the surfers and seeing the old grayhaired guys still catching those waves. I think I need to learn how to surf, just so one day I can be one of those guys.

Comment

You might get a kick out of this

http://www.lakesurf.com/Tanker.htm

Comment

Originally posted by kylertz
                        hey i was just wondering how difficult it is to learn how to surf? I've never even been to the ocean so it would be all new to me.
                        Hi, when are you coming to Hawaii? Maybe I could help you...
                        Do you know how to swim?How old are you?

Ulrike

Comment

Figure I will revive this thread. I am very interested in learning to surf when I arrive on O'ahu. What's a good beach to learn on? I will probably get a surf lesson on Waikiki, to get my feet wet, but after that I want to learn on my own pace. I read about Cockroach Bay, and that sounds great. But I'll be living on the Leeward side, so I'd like to find a beach that's a bit closer. I saw pics of Ewa beach, and it looked okay. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

http://www.surfline.com/surfology/su...borl_index.cfm

Take EVERY PAGE OF THIS as if it were the Bible! I swear, I just surfed Walls yesterday, and it was a circus! If you don't, you put yourself and others in severe danger. You will most likely piss ALOT of people off as well (who may already be stressing b/c of life issues and not getting waves to begin with).

I cannot overstress the importance of 'The Bill of Rights and Lefts'. This applies to EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD, NOT JUST HAWAI'I.

Good luck...and make sure you have med insurance (I've a total of 215 stitches in my body at some time or another...not to mention broken bones, other lacerations, near drownings and near neck breakings), and if I didn't have good insurance, I'd be living on da beach. Snowboarding and wakeboarding should give you a nice advance on the balance part.

Also, do OCEAN swimming (like Miulang suggested)...which I know is obvious but some tend to forget that it is radically different than in pools. Spear diving is, to me, the best training (aside from running underwater on the ocean floor with big rocks...the big lagoon at Ko'olina has a few sitting underwater that people use if you are interested).

Kumu is good (cockaroach) to learn, but can get crowded on the weekends. Be cool with everyone and you'll get the same treatment.

Ewa is also good...but remember...everywhere there but White Plains (but sometimes even there) is a regular spot for shark watching (I saw a total of 8 in my last two sessions at Hau bush) Again, be calm and cool and you should get the same treatment from the real kama'aina (hammerheads, grays, some tigers). There hasn't been an attack there for a long time...so don't sweat it. Make the decision to take the risk before you go in the water, because if you do sweat it, they may come close to you.

Finally...don't expect a warm welcome from everybody...especially the better surfers...regardless of your ethnicity. We have seen exponential increases in crowds since Blue Crush came out, and many longtime waveriders are taking massive 'pay cuts' in the amounts of waves they are getting now, at spots that were just until recently, empty and secret (thanks alot wannasurf.com) It's changed from outer island style to Los Angeles style in my lifetime (and I'm only 25), needless to say, not everyone has adjusted to the congestion.

Call it greed or call it the natural effect of people not getting enough space/waves, but it is there. Be respectful, and there shouldn't be many problems...but remember, the spots (especially around O'ahu) aren't like church. It gets REALLY ugly sometimes (I've seen women get punched out for giving attitude to guys who they cut off). In those cases, it was the womens' fault...but I would never go that far.

Again, and again...

Never drop in. If you do...and get yelled at...good for you. If you get in someones way while they are shredding a wave and they yell at you...good for you (paddle in the channels and on the side of waves, NEVER straight out from where your last wave ended...even if that means making a big U turn parallel to the lineup and creating a longer paddle for you. Even pros do this). It would all be YOUR fault for being in the wrong place in the lineup...and you'd be contributing to chaos.

And again, good luck.
                            Last edited by DKP; July 26, 2007, 01:19 PM.
                            Sing with me, everyone!
                            "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                            like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------
                            http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                            The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                            http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

P.S. If anything serious does happen out there (I hope not), please don't sue the City and County (or lifeguards). Personal responsibility applies here ten-fold. Remember, lifeguards can't rush into EVERY situation as humans vs. the ocean is an unfair matchup, and many lifeguard stations don't have jetskis or other advanced gear. Plus, they aren't suicidal, just very brave. Money is stretched tighter than a yoga guru for the dept. and paychecks (they only start at around $15/hour...way underpaid in my opinion as they guard the lives...and the ocean is one of Hawai'i main selling point. I think they should get more of the tourism dollars that come through here.) They put themselves at risk during rescues...not to mention of skin cancer in the long run.

Tell your family not to sue either...please. I'm not saying this as a judgement of your character, I tell everyone this, so please don't take it personally. Also, I'm not a lifeguard...I just respect um. We have the best women and men in the world, and they should never be cut short.
                              Sing with me, everyone!
                              "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                              like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                              http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                              The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                              http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X