Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Future Hawaii Teacher

Hello,
    I am a college student about to graduate with my degree in social studies education from Niagara University. Coming up in a few weeks is teacher recruitment day (TRD). TRD is a day where a number of school districts from around the country come in looking for teachers. One of the districts that will be attending and looking for social studies positions is the Hawaii BOE. So I have signed up to learn about life in Hawaii and its school system.
    I have lots of questions that I hope I can find answers to here at HawaiiThreads. From your opinions of a white mainlander teaching history to what housing would work out best for the budget of a teacher. With your help maybe I can be better prepared for an interview and have a better idea of life on the islands. I don't want to be just another uneducated haole. Thanks for everything in advance.

Re: Possible Future Hawaii Teacher

Aloha e Haole... interesting choice of handle! I hope it means you won't take yourself, nor the characters on this board, too seriously! Welcome to the 'Threads. Congratulations on your pending graduation!

I'm fascinated to learn that Hawaii will be up there fighting for fresh-faced new teachers to bring back to the islands. It's definitely clear proof that finding, let alone retaining, qualified teachers is a big challenge here.
    Originally posted by Haole
    From your opinions of a white mainlander teaching history to what housing would work out best for the budget of a teacher.
    Well, as you will probably learn from reading other threads here, and simply Googling "teachers" and "Hawaii," compensation is not all it should be, especially given Hawaii's high cost of living. Frankly, I don't know how teachers do it. While I know there are special housing and mortage programs for teachers, they might not be readily accessible to a new transplant. I'm hoping that the same program that's bringing the Hawaii BOE to you will also have some sort of housing assistance program... or at least, something a bit more than just handing you the classified ads.

A big part of the housing question will be where you'll teach, and the good and bad news is, chances are the needs are greatest in more rural neighborhoods. While that means you won't exactly be living in a particularly happenin' neighborhood, it may mean cheaper rents. A "cozy" two bedroom apartment in Honolulu will go for $1,200 if you're lucky. On a neighbor island? Still expensive compared to Portland or the like, but definitely much more affordable than Honolulu.
    I don't want to be just another uneducated haole. Thanks for everything in advance.
    Hey, asking and being open is the biggest step you need to take. Definitely invest in a few "moving to Hawaii" books, not all of which are good but just skimming 'em will give you a good overview of some of the things that most affect newcomers. Ask more questions here, or on USENET, and devour stuff you find on the web. Just remember to both be open minded and to also mix in a healthy dose of skepticism. You're just as likely to find "Hawaii is Paradise" as you are "Stupid Haole Go Home" - the truth, as with most things, is probably somewhere in between.

One thing that I'd say should be of particular interest to you as a history teacher is Hawaii's specific history - and the different interpretations of it. The kids here need to know more than, and may already know differently than, George Washington and Martin Luther King Jr. I'd be the first to say that our kids could stand to know a bit more about America - to this day I can't name more than a handful of state capitols, or presidents! - but the fact of the matter is, just here in our small islands there is five encyclopedia sets' worth of events, conflicts, and advancements for kids to digest as well.

Teaching is a most honorable profession, and I think Hawaii would be lucky to have you.

Comment

I second Ryan's posting. One thing I noticed when there were new teachers recruited from the Mainland (the ones who were young and single, anyway) when I was in public school was they would generally stay for a year or so and then return to the Mainland (got tired of surfing everyday? Rock fever? ). The ones who stayed either found someone to marry locally or moved to the Islands with family, which would make it much harder for them to just pick up and leave.

There's definitely a crying need for good teachers in Hawai'i and elsewhere. I heard math teachers were in especially high demand nationwide. I imagine history teachers would be, too.

With regard to the cost of housing on the neighbor islands, renting a place on Maui would be comparable in costs to what you've have to pay in Honolulu (a 1-bedroom will cost somewhere around $800/mo). Housing, I think will be your biggest challenge on the kind of salary the Hawai'i BOE can afford to pay you.

Good luck, and I hope you find a good first job somewhere, if not in Hawai'i.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well it happened, I got myself a position in Hawaii. I think that I'll be working at Waianae High School, but the location is not a sure thing yet. I was told that Waianae is a low income area. Any more information about this area would be a great help at this point.

Comment

Well it happened, I got myself a position in Hawaii. I think that I'll be working at Waianae High School,

an fob haole working at Waianae High?!

Comment

Congratulations on landing the job! Pzarquon had some good advice earlier; listen to the guy.

If you're going to be teaching at Wai'anae, then the commute is an issue. Commuting from Honolulu to Wai'anae and back every day would be kinda grueling. You may want to consider living on that side of the island instead. I think Mākaha, a few miles away, has more apartments available than Wai'anae itself; a lot of my coworkers who live out that way are in Mākaha. A quick search for apartments in the area shows units available from $800 to $1450.

Good luck! Ask lots of questions, and we'll try to answer.

Comment

Congratulations on your new career. I teach at a local private school and am happy to welcome you as a new colleague. There's a reason you were placed at Waianae--if you're a first-year high-school teacher, that's probably where you're going. It's rural. It's low-income. It's got values that are a little different from what you might find at other Oahu schools. It's also got a ridiculously high turnover rate, since teachers who gain tenure quickly snap up positions at other schools, leaving Waianae in a state of constant flux.

But you know, it's got a lot to recommend itself. Students in Waianae value real-ness, and they appreciate--more than students at a lot of other places--the time you spend with them. Keep it real, be who you are, and be open to learning as much as you can from your students, and you'll be fine. The values in this community revolve around family, community, and culture; keep that in mind, meet the students where they are, LISTEN TO YOUR PRINCIPAL, and try not to go crazy. Your first year teaching is going to be crazy-hectic WHEREVER you teach.

I have two friends who teach there (and another few who teach at area elementary schools), so send me a private message and I'll be glad to put you in touch. One of my best friends is the recreation director at the neighboring recreation center, and he'll be glad to look out for you to, and to tell you where to eat!

The housing market is crazy right now, but you might also consider looking for a rental in Makakilo. It'll cost a bit more and it's a little bit more of a drive, but it's a nice community for a newcomer and traffic will be pretty much a non-issue, as you'll be moving in the opposite direction of heavy traffic.

Finally, in addition to congratulating you warmly and sincerely, I'd like to say, what are you? Crazy?

PS: Your starting salary is going to be five thousand bucks more than what I'm going to make next year, in my ninth year teaching.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey I'm here! I have a place close by Waianae High School. I have been walking around and riding the bus to get a feel for Hawaii. On my way to Makaha beach walking down the road I was called a "haole bitch" the other day. Ha so its official that I am living on the west coast. I have talked to other people in the community and they have been much nicer. School starts soon and that should be interesting. When I talk to people and tell them that I got a job teaching at Waianae High they laugh in my face. It'll be tough but what would I learn if I didn't try. BTW cars drive way over the limit on Farrington, I can hear Honda mufflers all night long.

Comment

Well bless you. I've been called Haole Bitch, too! Welcome to the club. I live on the opposite end of the Island in Hawaii Kai.
                  Good luck. If you ever need to vent or want an idea or two on how to approach a certain situation, feel free to get on here at threads.
                  As a board member at my daughter's school, I'd like to recommend that you communicate with parents as much as you can. If you are open and communicative on all levels, that will be a real plus. I'm from New Jersey, so I know that sometimes my East Coast-ness comes through, despite being here some 24 years now, LOL. It can be an asset. East Coast girls are hip, don't demure, spell it out, are usually quite clear about what they want. Now that you're here, you may find yourself temepering your fun in-your-face brashness so that you aren't misunderstood.
                  Try the food, eat the laulau, poke and lomilomi, the hamburger plate, the chili frank, don't drink anything called spike. Watch out for ice users (they walk and talk fast and swing their arms a lot, their teeth rot in their faces). The ocean on the west side is pristine. The kids there are proud of their culture, so if you embrace it, learn it and respect it, all that might be reciprocated.
                  And lastly, I'd like to think that students do want to please the teacher!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hey I'm here! I have a place close by Waianae High School. I have been walking around and riding the bus to get a feel for Hawaii. On my way to Makaha beach walking down the road I was called a "haole bitch" the other day. Ha so its official that I am living on the west coast. I have talked to other people in the community and they have been much nicer. School starts soon and that should be interesting. When I talk to people and tell them that I got a job teaching at Waianae High they laugh in my face. It'll be tough but what would I learn if I didn't try. BTW cars drive way over the limit on Farrington, I can hear Honda mufflers all night long.
                    Welcome to the islands.

Everyplace has their assholes, we're no exception. Good to know that you've met nicer people too. How are you doing with our local accents?

Comment

It'll be tough but what would I learn if I didn't try.
                      *high five* Good luck and welcome to the islands! It's good to see that you have a little networking going on here already.

Comment

Anyone know what subs make there? I saw awhile back that is was nosediving from 1 something a day? Mahalo.
                        If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
                        X