X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a grand a month

Hello,
    1st time poster.(21yrs old)

Right now i've got a 6yr plan of graduating from vet school and moving to Kauai. There is no doubt that i'll be moving there, but I will want to payoff my student loans as fast a possible. Do you think it is possible to live in kauai on 1-2000 dollars a month? If I can manage that i'll have my loan paid in two years, a major plus. I'm a frugle student right now (most of my clothes are probably 4+ yrs old) and i'm more about hanging out then going out. Any responses wont change my mind about moving, but could give me some encouragment.

thanks...

Re: a grand a month

What will your source of income be? If you plan on generating that $1,000 a month while on Kauai, you'll definitely find your dollar won't go as far as you thought it will. After all, budgeting $800 a month for housing, utilities, and other related expenses doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room (food, transportation, etc.).

I suppose you could share an apartment or rent a room, college kid style...

Comment

Transportation cost might be issue. Kauai has a very limited public transportation system compared to Oahu.

Comment

I can't speak for living on Kauai but here on the Big Island there are lots of options if you can make, or already have, some contacts. We have hired a few carpenters and some other construction workers in the past year to build our drying deck/storage building. Many of them save money by living in an ohana or coffee shack owned by friends. Some do maintenance work for the friend/owner to help pay for the accommodation. If you don’t know, a coffee shack is typically a structure without utilities, they sometimes have an outhouse.

One guy was living in a tent on property owned by his uncle. We let him stay in our ohana while he was working for us rent-free.

I don't see you surviving on Kauai on $1-2000 unless you can land a similar type of situation.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Sorry, i meant 1-2000 a month for housing.

Comment

Wow that's 6 years down the road! I'd worry about getting my degree first.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbreak
              Sorry, i meant 1-2000 a month for housing.
              Sometimes, I hate my job.

(self-pity mode: off)
              I don't think you'll have a problem if that's what you're allowing yourself for housing.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
              X