Moving to Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Oahu?

Hi, Sorry for the standard newbie question hereā€¦.but I have to ask. I am considering moving to Oahu for a year. It's kinda been a dream of mine since I was a kid( corny, I know). The only thing restraining me is finances of course Anyhow, I'm not planning on living in the city or anything but was wondering if I could get everyones opinion on something.... I have about $25,000.00 USD saved up for this. Also, I'm already covered when it comes to insurance and a car. Would it be possible for me to live compfortably on this little amount? Thanks in advance!!

Re: Moving to Oahu?

Depends on how much you pay for rent. If you are able to get a place for $1000/month or less, it should work out assuming you are not paying other bills not related to living here (credit card bills come to mind).

Comment

Originally posted by runjinrun
      Would it be possible for me to live compfortably on this little amount?

may i submit:
      "Living comfortably" in Hawaii is so much more than a monetary consideration.
      Go through H.T. here and review other moving to Hawaii subject threads. Insight on many other factors for someone in your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        may i submit:
        "Living comfortably" in Hawaii is so much more than a monetary consideration.
        Go through H.T. here and review other moving to Hawaii subject threads. Insight on many other factors for someone in your situation.
        Maybe living comfortably wasn't the best choice of words. I just want to be able to eat and sleep somewhere average / normal. Thanks for other advice too!

Comment

Maybe living comfortably wasn't the best choice of words. I just want to be able to eat and sleep somewhere average / normal. Thanks for other advice too!
          If you have a particular skill, avocation, "hobby", etc. such as gardening, handyman, building/construction, good with tools...whatevahs... you could either check the papers for lodging that offers an exchange or a reduced rent on "services offered." Either that, or place an ad beforehand, in the rentals wanted section, defining your situation.

Comment

Here's a mainlander's view of househunting in Hawaii and odda kine stuffs.

http://www.wunderfool.com/writing/haole/1-1.htm

http://www.wunderfool.com/writing/haole/1-2.htm

etc.

Comment

Hey. That's my friend, Brad. Do you know him, too, or did you just stumble upon this?

And I like sauerkraut on my hot-dogs.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                Hey. That's my friend, Brad. Do you know him, too, or did you just stumble upon this?

And I like sauerkraut on my hot-dogs.

Don't know him. Just heard about his blog from a friend while he was shopping for ViewSonic LCD monitors and I was eating Spam musubi at Costco which I think is waaayyy more better than Sam's Club so much so, that I will do an article on it and sell it to the weekly cuz I wuz toad I'm a gud writer yea I whuz yelled that at me befour by people living in Aala park more smarter than me when they demanded my 40 which whaz warm un flat ennyway and do eye kaer not on yore life.

Comment

Here's a cute little column about being a rental unit seeker on Oahu.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.ā€ --Mark Twain

Comment

I live within my means. I just don't make enough money to live within my means in my own house. So until then, we'll keep spending our paychecks on Vegas trips. Winning Megabucks may be my only hope.
                    Heh. I say the same thing, but since I don't go to Vegas, I rely on in-laws playing the lotto in Florida and messing with Publisher's Clearinghouse envelopes.

If Catherine was getting what she says she was getting for under $1,200 a month up until just recently, she's one lucky renter. And if she wants a two-bedroom place that's not in coin-operated washer/dryer territory, I'd think the premium would be more than an additional $200.

Ironically, renters are often paying more per month than homeowners pay on their mortgage. And while homes are damn expensive, mortgage debt comes with various tax related benefits. Renters are just pouring money into a hole.

Comment

herer's an article on adjusting as a malihini

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02p.html

Comment

Is it possible to put your car on a barge or something along those lines from the mainland to place on an island?

Comment

Is it possible to put your car on a barge or something along those lines from the mainland to place on an island?

yes matson does it for about 900 clams

Comment

Awesome. Thanks again!

Comment

there's plenty cars here already! and dealerships keep bringing over more. alternative travel by 2 wheels an option too. check online classifieds before commiting to shipping your vehicle especially since on a budget and not planning on staying. also I hope it isn't modified up the ying yang cuz there more to it than just bringing it here and hoping to get a plate. then again what is it, we all love moving sales
                              this space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X