Molokai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molokai

hi, i was just wondering if moving to Molokai is possible and what its like there. Im not planning on it. Im just a mainlander and was wondering if anyone has or does or whatever. And another question is what island is probably the easiest to move to. And out of Maui, Kauai, Oahu, and the Big Island which is the least industrialized. Thanks.

Re: Molokai

Easiest to move to? Oahu (Honolulu) hands down. Many more 'fallback plans' if your initial plans don't work out. It's the most industrial, but also offers the widest variety of opportunities.

Moving straight to Molokai? Wouldn't recommend it. Too small a community, too limited opportunities, and possibly among the least conditioned to welcoming newcomers (relocators versus visitors).

Least industrialized out of the four you mentioned? Big Island by proportion (though Kona can be seen as "industrial"), Kauai overall. It's a toss up.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Moving straight to Molokai? Wouldn't recommend it. Too small a community, too limited opportunities, and possibly among the least conditioned to welcoming newcomers (relocators versus visitors).
      I dunno, George Peabody moved to Moloka'i as a young man and seems to have done pretty well for himself over there.

(Peabody is editor of the Moloka'i Advertiser-News and a perennial candidate for governor.)

Comment

Unless you like a very slow paced life, no job opportunities and high costs for housing, food and gas, I wouldn't recommend Moloka'i. I personally love the place, and am very alarmed by the number of people from the Mainland who move there to try to change the locals' way of life. They like the way they live, and unless the outsider is able to adjust to that, it won't be a very comfortable situation.

Oahu is the most cosmopolitan of all the islands (Maui is a fast rising second place) so it would be easier to fit in there. There are also more job opportunities on Oahu because it is still the hub of business. Maui has its own good points, but the cost of housing is not one of them (it costs more to buy a house on Maui now than anywhere in the State). Most of the business on Maui is geared to serving tourists so there are lots of jobs in that sector.

I love Kauai, but many of the small towns are getting very much like Honolulu and traffic there is abysmal because they don't have much of an infrastructure. But for scenic beauty, Kauai's pretty special.

The Big Island seems like a reasonable choice; just get there before everybody moves there from Oahu and Maui to get away from the congestion of the city and all the other problems living in a city can cause.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

thanks for the input. I didnt plan on moving to Molokai I was just wondering what it was really like there. I am looking for a slower pace of life than usual, but I dont want to stick out like a sore thumb. Im getting my degree in landscape design and my corny dream life would to be to live on Kauai or the big island and do landscaping and stuff there. But that would be in like 4 years so its a long shot. Anyways thanks for the input.

Comment

Molokai:
            Hawaiian word for:
            "stay away"

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/04/1...609cf2&ei=5070

Comment

Working...
            X