Hawaiian language on the mainland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian language on the mainland

Hello, I am new to this site. I have never been to Hawaii and I live in Massachusetts. However, my mother lived there for a number of years and my grandmother was born there before it became a state. I plan on visiting Hawaii someday.

I just starting getting interested in learing true Hawaiian and I was wondering if anyone knew about any distance Hawaiian language learning programs. My grandmother is a native speaker but she just got Alzheimer's and can no longer communicate effectively.

I was also wondering about those cards that say your Hawaiian my mother and grandmother have one and I would like to be registered as well, do any of you have any information that could help me out?

Thank you.
    Luella

Re: Hawaiian language on the mainland

UH Hilo has been experimenting with Hawaiian language instruction via distance learning. An update on that site from January says they were teaching Hawaiian 101 through May, so that's just wrapping up. I'm sure you can contact them for information on future courses. Kamehameha Schools, meanwhile, appears to have an extensive set of Hawaiian language lessons online. Actually, it looks pretty neat. Wish I'd found it before buying the Instant Immersion product (though it's not bad).

As for the cards, I guess you're talking about the OHA Hawaiian Registry? You can find out more at that link. I decided to go ahead and get my card... you know, for when the revolution comes.

FWIW, their big project now is Kau Inoa. But you don't get a nifty card with that one. A card really isn't the point, after all, but instead contacting and bringing together Native Hawaiians in general.

Comment

Working...
    X