Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hana: "Tropical Mayberry"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/DESTI...aui/index.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Hana: "Tropical Mayberry"

Great. Now the mainlanders who can't afford Moloka'i land prices are gonna swarm into Hana to buy up overpriced land and try to change that town. The people of Hana, like the people of Moloka'i, like their slow paced way of living...even with the dengue fever outbreaks.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; May 12, 2005, 01:07 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, well what really irked me was this part of that article, especially the part I underlined here:

"Nearby, motionless sunbathers lounge around the infinity pool. One man has actually entered the water. He floats, eyes closed, face at peace.
      "A casual observer might mistake all this languor for laziness. Not so. Instead, consider it the triumph of traditional Hawaiian culture over 21st century busy-ness."

Sheesh.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Great. Now the mainlanders who can't afford Moloka'i land prices are gonna swarm into Hana to buy up overpriced land and try to change that town. The people of Hana, like the people of Moloka'i, like their slow paced way of living...even with the dengue fever outbreaks.

Miulang

Amen! Having grown up on Maui, I know the folks of Hana very well! In fact, I was a part-time resident of Hana myself--camped out there every weekend when I was a kid. Hana is a beautiful town, full of the "Aloha Spirit." To see the dreaded mainland haole buy up the town would be to lose a part of myself, my identity.

However, being that Hana is so difficult to get to, I doubt too many people will want to live there once they see the roads to get there--especially since the Hana airport is so small that very few planes these days can actually land there.
        The inability to hear is a nuisance; The inability to communicate a tragedy. Hear my hands!

Comment

Working...
        X