Visitors tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors tips?

We just recently got back from our first trip (of many I hope!) to your beautiful islands. We only had time to see Oahu this time. Our goal is to see one or two of the other islands on our next trip. Any advice for "must see" places/things? Touristy stuff is good, but we like to see what the local residents enjoy when we travel. All ideas welcome!

Re: Visitors tips?

Bizzare as it sounds when people think of Hawaii they think of beaches but the state also offers mountains as a places to go to and see. Big Island of course is Kilauea and Manua Kea. Maui is Haleakala. Kauai is Kokee (it's the name of the place on the mountain, as opposed to the name of the mountain).

Comment

oahu is like hawaii with training wheels! hawaiian stuff but all the city stuff good AND bad. if your coming back you HAVE to stay on a neighbor island for the REAL hawaii!!! every one has something special to offer. more culture less traffic and people you cant lose!

molokai is what id recommend, you can even stay at a fancy hotel but the island is really as "old hawaii" as it gets.... you can get out and see the paniolo stuff (hawaiian cowboy) and go hiking....and the mountains there are the most amazing youll ever see.

kauai and the big island are awesome too. maui is almost like oahu in some places, a tourist resort. you might like it then-somewhere between big city and country.

all of hawaii is wonderful so you cant lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly808
        if your coming back you HAVE to stay on a neighbor island for the REAL hawaii!!!
        What, Oahu not real enuff fo you? What you tink us, FAKE? Nah nah, I know what you mean. Too much like America, eh?

maui is almost like oahu in some places, a tourist resort. you might like it then-somewhere between big city and country.
        Speaking as a Honolulu boy born and bred, this is exactly why I don't like Maui. Maui is like Oahu was about thirty years ago, except with lousier roads and more haoles. Why should I fly to another island for that? When I go island-hopping, I would rather go to Hawaii because it's really different from Oahu - it has Mauna Kea and Kilauea! - and it's big, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Maui is like Oahu was about thirty years ago, except with lousier roads and more haoles.
          hey whats wrong with haoles?

i think there are lots of country places on maui, and you have lots of haoles here in kailua. i dont think thats a bad thing! adds to the color and we always pay more than we should for stuff so you want us around for sure!!!

Comment

Whatever island you choose, you can't lose. As you can see from previous posts that each island has its own flair.

Personally, I like Kauai...love the guava salsa and microbrew at Waimea Brewering Co.

Geez, I'm thirsty!

Comment

hey whats wrong with haoles?
              Nothing, just making an observation. Especially since gardensong was looking for comparisons with Oahu.

Comment

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be fitting that a person with a handle "Gardensong" visit the Garden Isle.....Kauai?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Nothing, just making an observation.
                  i know im just joshing ya! but you really think theres more haoles on maui than here? i think my whole street is haoles!!!

Comment

i know im just joshing ya! but you really think theres more haoles on maui than here? i think my whole street is haoles!!!
                    I checked and actually, Honolulu City & County is about 22% haole and Maui County is about 32% haole, according to the 2002 State of Hawaii Data Book. But you said you went to Kalaheo High; if you still live in the area, I'm not surprised if all your neighbors are haole - Kailua is one of the haole-est parts of Oahu!

Comment

Originally posted by gardensong
                      We just recently got back from our first trip (of many I hope!) to your beautiful islands. We only had time to see Oahu this time. Our goal is to see one or two of the other islands on our next trip. Any advice for "must see" places/things? Touristy stuff is good, but we like to see what the local residents enjoy when we travel. All ideas welcome!
                      Well, being here on Maui, I can give you some first hand advice if you're planning or are thinking of planning a stop on the "Valley Isle."

Recommended:

Haleakala crater (as previously mentioned)...
                      Hana (If you're a Beatlemaniac, I'll point you George's old flat )...
                      Beaches of Wailea/Kihei...
                      Lahaina Town tourist trap...
                      Iao Valley (personal fav.)

I've never done a helicopter tour or Haleakala downhill bike ride, but I hear about folks who have and they loved it.

Kukui_nut

(second post here... )

Comment

Working...
                      X