`Ôlelo Question: nui vs. loa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• `Ôlelo Question: nui vs. loa

In my `ôlelo studies, I've learned "nui" means "large" or "a lot," and "loa" means "all the way" or "very."

So if I say, "E makemake nui ana kâkou," I'm saying, "We are all going to want a lot."

My question is, does "a lot" mean quantity? Like, "We're all going to want a lot of things"? Or does "a lot" mean "We're all going to want something very much"?

If I wanted to say, "We're all going to want (something) very much," would I say, "E makemake loa ana kâkou"?

~A`ilina
    ~'Ailina

Re: `Ôlelo Question: nui vs. loa

Originally posted by Ailina
    In my `ôlelo studies, I've learned "nui" means "large" or "a lot," and "loa" means "all the way" or "very."

So if I say, "E makemake nui ana kâkou," I'm saying, "We are all going to want a lot."

My question is, does "a lot" mean quantity? Like, "We're all going to want a lot of things"? Or does "a lot" mean "We're all going to want something very much"?

If I wanted to say, "We're all going to want (something) very much," would I say, "E makemake loa ana kâkou"?

~A`ilina
    E makemake nui ana kakou ... the nui is describing makemake, so you're saying that your makemake is nui, not the thing (the object) you're desiring... that'd be Makemake au i na mea he nui. Whatever the nui (or loa) is closest to, is what it's modifying.

E makemake nui ana kakou would be translated to "We really, really want ..." well, that'd be E makemake nunui...but you get the idea.

I'm not sure on this, but vs loa...I think loa is used more for stative verbs (adjectives) like Hau'oli loa au (I am very happy). Of course, you could say "Nui ko'u hau'oli" as well same thing. Makemake loa wouldn't be wrong, I don't think...but I've always used (and heard) makemake nui, 'ai nui, heluhelu nui, etc. With statives, you wouldn't say Hau'oli nui (you'd use loa), unless you move the nui to the front and make the nui the verb and the verb becomes a noun (nui ko'u hau'oli, nui ko'u pololi, nui ko'u makemake, etc.). Er...sorry if I confused you more

Comment

Mahalo nui loa, Malia! (<--It'll take me some time to figure out THAT one!)

I understand. Thank you for taking the time to clear that up for me. None of the beginning `ôlelo learning resources I have address details like "nui vs. loa." I believe I understand how loa would apply to stative verbs, and how the structure of the sentence affects which form to use. It'll take some practice to apply this, but I'll get it!

Mâlama pono...
      ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
        Mahalo nui loa, Malia! (<--It'll take me some time to figure out THAT one!)

heehee, well in that one, the loa is modifying nui, which is the stative verb...and nui is modifying the verb mahalo...so mahalo nui, much appreciation...and then the loa is tacked on to "nui", or very much appreciation.

confusing yeah? well all I can say is just try it and see what "sounds" correct. I think you have enough studies to know if it sounds awkward or not!

Comment

Working...
        X