No announcement yet.

awesome nightline show tonight (friday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awesome nightline show tonight (friday)

you can read about it here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=943506

July 15, 2005 — For tonight's broadcast, "Nightline" joined forces with writer Tim Zimmerman and filmmaker Gordon Hiles, who documented an ambitious dive to one of the world's deepest, most dangerous underwater caves.

In the northern cape region of South Africa, near the Kalahari desert, is Bushman's Hole — the third deepest cave in the world.

At least 927 feet deep, it might take a diver 10 minutes to get to the bottom but at least 10 hours to return to the surface. Even the most experienced diver takes his life into his hands when he tries to reach the bottom.

In 1994, 20-year-old Deon Dreyer descended into Bushman's Hole with 200 successful dives to his name. But this time, he apparently blacked out and was never heard from again.......
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: awesome nightline show tonight (friday)

Man I missed it. I saw this post earlier tonight and planned to watch it. So were they successful in recovering that guys body?

Comment

yeah, but it didn't go as planned. the main guy who was to dive all the way to the bottom (the support team were supposed to wait at shallower depths) died! the water was so clear that the guy who went in after the main guy could see the light of the main guy, some 200+ feet below him... but... the light wasn't moving! he knew right away that something was wrong. he went down to help the guy but he never made it cuz he got into trouble. i don't think he was set up for a dive to the bottom cuz he had problems with his equipment. anyway, he slowly came up but it was not slow enough to avoid the bends. fortunately, they had a decompression chamber nearby so he barely survived and his sense of balance is forever messed up. as if that weren''t enough, a diver saw the two bodies by a ledge and so the two bodies were eventually retrieved. and guess what? the main guy had a camera on his head so there were able to play back the tape to see what happened and basically, he broke a fundamental rule of deep diving: don't overexert yourself. you could hear his breathing getting faster and harder and then all you could see were his hands still in the water. sad. all this happened while he was trying to put the boy's body into a body bag.

ted koppel and the second diver ended the program on a positive note saying that the main diver died doing what he loved doing.

by the way, the cave goes down some 800+ feet and to decompress, he would have had to spend about 11 hours !!! coming up to avoid the bends. too bad it didn't work out as planned.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice

yeah, but it didn't go as planned.
        Mahalo for following up on this. I started to watch it but then got Shanghai-ed into driving the wife to Walmart to buy the new Harry Potter book.

Comment

Yeah thanks shaveice. That's really unfortunate that another person died. So they used tanks? How did they plan on staying underwater for that long? I'm thinking that maybe they lowered tanks to different depths (at which the diver stops to decompress)?

Comment

i wish i had a picture of it. the main guy went down with about 4 extra tanks attached to him!!!! and like you said, there were support divers at different depths and i presume that they would have full tanks ready for him when he got to their level/depth.

yup, really sad that another diver died. amazing too cuz the guy was a very experienced diver. he held a record for some kind of deep diving so you'd think that he would have known better. of course, i'm speaking as a novice so i don't know what kinds of things those depths can do to your head.

can you believe it though??? 800+ feet!!!!

Comment

That was interesting but sad. It's just plain crazy to dive to those depths.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
              X